• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for a new Yamaha

dtiff13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello all! I'm new to this whole jet boat thing so bear with me.

Last month, I purchased a new Chap 203 VRX, but had a horrible first experience. Long story short, Chap put the wrong motor in my boat, labeled it incorrectly, and charged me for the upgraded one. Luckily the dealer was amazing during my problems and bought it back full price. Thanks Skier's Marine in Westover, AL! If you wish to know more see https://jetboaters.net/threads/203-vrx-woes.13496/#post-239297

The reason I'm here is because the wife and I have decided to give jet boats another shot due to the safety factor and space saving design. However, this time we want to go with a more proven solution - the Yamaha brand. I've owned many of their products before (not boats), and have always had good luck.

We decided to pull out all the stops and go for the big dog, the 242X E series. We want something that is going to meet all our needs (power/space) for the next 5-10 years, so we're willing to pay a pretty penny. On the lines of money, what's the best way to get a good deal on these? Are the 18 models coming out any time soon? Any tips on getting the best financing? Any reputable dealers in the southeast region worth making the drive to?

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated in regards to the whole buying process. Again, fairly new, but a quick learner and looking forward to reading any replies.

-WASP

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
WOW.
I am new too, so I cannot give you much advise. Maybe waiting until September October will help.

PS. We have had motorcycles and currently own 2 Yamaha pianos. We never considered any other brand, LOL

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Out west Yamaha dealers don't negotiate as they selling every boat they order, and we have took have CARB boats. That being said, look around and you can find dealers willing to belated in another state and have it shipped.

Yamaha usually announces new boats in August but you won't start seeing them on lots until October at the earliest.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would continue to look for used 242 x's if you can find any. If not, I don't think there is going to be any movement on boats the dealers have at this point. At the end of the season you can get a better deal because at that point the dealer will want to get rid of the stock that is costing them money.

here is one for 69k
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2016-yamaha-242x-e-series-102600610

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your profile doesn't indicate what part of the country your it @dtiff13 but generally you can get a deal at a boat show. If they don't discount the boat they may throw in some gear, give a good financing package or discount the YES warranty. If there are no boat shows you should try asking the dealer for discounts on those items I mentioned.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just bought a ’17 212X a couple weeks ago and my dealer in middle TN wasn’t willing to negotiate pricing as he was delivering 4 more the same week. I did negotiate an anchor rode and trailer/mooring cover out of the deal though. Yamaha is offering 3 years bow to stern warranty as well as some good financing options. If you wait until the boat show, you’re going to miss this boating season, but, considering how well the boats are selling, I wouldn’t expect too much more from Yamaha at the boat shows next Spring.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's going to be kind of hard to wheel n deal right now as its the start of the season. Most Yamaha dealers don't wiggle too much and as you said they can move units easily. More than likely you can get them to throw in some of the stuff like fenders, dock lines, coast guard kit, etc but you may already have some of that stuff from your other boat purchase.

Hate you had a bad experience with your Chap. That is crazy about the motor and them charging you again!! I hope you have great luck with your next boat!

I see you mentioned Westover, AL. Are you planning on looking at boats at Wedowee Marine? If so there are some things you need to be aware of with that dealership.

dtiff13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's going to be kind of hard to wheel n deal right now as its the start of the season. Most Yamaha dealers don't wiggle too much and as you said they can move units easily. More than likely you can get them to throw in some of the stuff like fenders, dock lines, coast guard kit, etc but you may already have some of that stuff from your other boat purchase.

Hate you had a bad experience with your Chap. That is crazy about the motor and them charging you again!! I hope you have great luck with your next boat!

I see you mentioned Westover, AL. Are you planning on looking at boats at Wedowee Marine? If so there are some things you need to be aware of with that dealership.

Yes, I have seen them on boattrader. I live in Mississippi, but I travel to Atlanta quite often to visit family so a Georgia dealer would work well.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cool. Just wanted to give you a heads up if you were thinking of that dealer. They are fine to buy a boat from but not for service or warranty issues.

Be sure to update your profile eventually as it will help us know your location and other people in your area may take you out on their Yamaha or help you for maintenance, etc.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
WOW.
I am new too, so I cannot give you much advise. Maybe waiting until September October will help.

PS. We have had motorcycles and currently own 2 Yamaha pianos. We never considered any other brand, LOL
What engines do you have in those pianos? :p

Mighty Peace

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Read your initial post..thats crazy. GOod to hear the dealer treated you good.

My wife and I did a lot of research for boat. I have had other Yamaha outdoor products - great reliability.

My wife didn't want to spend a lot of money overall so we went the used route. We looked at the new Yamahas / Chaparrals / Scarabs prior to see what we liked- we liked them all.

I missed out on a couple good deals on a used Yamaha 242 and 212x and a Scarab last year and earlier this year. So when the Seadoo 210SP was seen this past April private sale, I jumped at it. First boat for us and it was great buy for a 2012 with 44 hours.

Anyhow enough about me. Not taking away from Yamaha 242XE, as I would love to have one too. Since you mentioned the Chaparral dealer treated you good and I know you are upset with the manufacturer, but why not re-consider the Chaparral in the VRX 243 or 2430 model.

I wish you a lot better luck on your new boat purchase !!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What engines do you have in those pianos? :p

the 1st one has no engines; it is 5 stroke EV :headphone:
the 2nd one has a single acoustic engine with 236 hs (horse strings, not horse shit) and total torque of 30,ooo lbs. :jawdrop: