• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Looking for advice on SUPs

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone use stand up paddle boards (SUP)? We're looking at getting one and have been checking out the YOLO brand boards. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion on any type of board and your experience with it.

Also, will these transport inside the boat, under the cover? I'll get a roof rack for my wife's car, but would prefer to throw it in the boat when take all the toys up north.

I have SUP'ed. I've used many different types, but no expert on the 'best' type. I have friends who teach SUP Yoga and they just invested in a fleet of inflatable SUPs. I would say yes to being able to transport inside boat, depending upon size. For a recreational type board you and friends can use, you need enough volume to make it fun. Checkout the inflatables?, they're nice, durable, and pack up small when not in use.

We got one from Costco that we really like but we don't have a lot to compare it to. We got it on sale for $799.
http://www.costco.com/SUP-USA-12'-Stand-Up-Paddle-Board-.product.100033702.html

I would think if you want to take it on the boat an inflatable one with a small compressor would be the way to go. That way you could pack it all in one of the storage compartments. Some of those new inflatable ones really don't seem like what you think of as an inflatable. When blown up they are hard as a rock. A couple of my neighbors have them and seem to really like them.

We tried it for the first time this week and like it. Now we see one at costco for $429 with paddle. It's 9'6" long and ridged (non inflatable). I wonder if it will perform well for a wide range of riders of differing heights, weights and experience?

I have a pair of the 10' inflatables from Tower and really like them. When fully inflated they are rock solid (can stand on the middle of them while spanning ten feet, and they barely budge). I only have a half hour of time on a rigid SUP to compare, but they seemed pretty similar to me. From what I researched ahead of time, the quality inflatables are comparable to rigid boards, the only downside being they are about 90% as fast/efficient. The inflatables can take much more of a beating, and obviously are great for transporting.

As far as transporting a rigid SUP, it would be near impossible to transport while driving the boat. You would need to confirm actual dimensions to see if they would fit while trailering, as they are huge, much bigger in person than you realize (typically 10'+ long, 3' wide, 4" thick).

We have two...one is a hobie with a rounded nose and the other is a Kaholo wooden and fiberglass board hand built from one of their kits. My number one advice would be to try a few of them. A good dealer won't mind. Reason is that they vary greatly in stability and flotation. Weight of the person can make a huge difference. Also consider whether you need to haul a cooler on long excursions or fish from it or race it or if you are just paddling around...there is a lot of variety out there.
My good friend distributes Jimmy Lewis boards...they are impressive! I would consider them for my next board.

We just got an inflatable from costco (online) for $500. It came with everything (board, lanyard, fin, pump with gauge, leak repair kit, instructions and a carrying bag. The instructions clearly state not to transport it inflated on a roof rack. We can wait to try it out in the water, in the living room last night we were/are all pros. By the way 10' seems a lot bigger than it sounds in the living room, my living room anyway.

image.jpg

My only suggestion is to wear a flourescent hunting hat when you SUP. Many time I have come across an invisible one in the middle of the lake. Very hard to see. Plus with ballast on board you push a pretty hefty wake so it would be polite to be able to see and avoid them at a greater distance. Cam.

inflatables are great for transporting. If you want a good cheap sup I have 2 of the TAVA barnd and like them alot!! I recomend getting an adjustable paddle. I got them from Isle surf and sup. It looks like this is the new version of what I have.

http://www.islesurfboards.com/versa-stand-up-paddle-boards.aspx

sorry, this doesn't help you, but one of my coworkers just did this and I thought it was cool and somewhat on topic :)

OK....so how did they get started?

I live in Ormond Beach, FL and am right around the corner from Three Brothers Stand Up Paddle Boards. They make some really sweet boards. If you have a little coin to spend, I recommend looking into them. I did a 2 hour tour with them last weekend around the halifax river.

My next goal is to figure out a way to get those paddle boards mounted on the wake tower of my AR240... Anyone try this?

@prorider17 is your aim to tow on the road with them, or for transporting them on the water? I assume they'd fit in the boat for towing. As for on the water....could you have a rope around both ends and fenders out on the side of the boat and hang them off the side?

I live in Ormond Beach, FL and am right around the corner from Three Brothers Stand Up Paddle Boards. They make some really sweet boards. If you have a little coin to spend, I recommend looking into them. I did a 2 hour tour with them last weekend around the halifax river.

My next goal is to figure out a way to get those paddle boards mounted on the wake tower of my AR240... Anyone try this?

all depends on how thick they are, but wouldn't a kneeboard rack work? may have to modify the bungee to make it work, but the tines should be far enough apart for most of the SUP that I've seen

@Julian - I think the biggest fit will be getting them on the tower and being ok once I do about 25mph through the intercoastal. As @woodard1983 said, I think a kneeboard rack could work, but someone told me that an issue that could arise is the wind making the board a pain... kneeboards have a lot less wind resistance than paddle boards.

I think a tower mounted rack wouldn't be able to take the pressure that this much surface area would put on it. Strapping it to the top of the tower or to the side of the boat would be the best bet.

We got one from Costco that we really like but we don't have a lot to compare it to. We got it on sale for $799.
http://www.costco.com/SUP-USA-12'-Stand-Up-Paddle-Board-.product.100033702.html

I would think if you want to take it on the boat an inflatable one with a small compressor would be the way to go. That way you could pack it all in one of the storage compartments. Some of those new inflatable ones really don't seem like what you think of as an inflatable. When blown up they are hard as a rock. A couple of my neighbors have them and seem to really like them.
DANG! Out of stock!

Back