• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for guidance... first service experience... really bad.

I would think the dealer would take a part from another boat to fix yours. My dealer does that because they know they will get the new part from yamaha in a couple days. I'm sure that's just for small things, like cup holders though.

Pretty sure the towers mount to the hull in different locations, so the location of the straps on the cover to go around the tower would be completely different.

@MrMoose Did/will the dealer ship you the cover to your house?
They said that they would ship it to me as soon as they get it. I hope that it arrives in time for Bimini. I asked them to ship the cup holder with it, but it couldn't be done.

They said that they would ship it to me as soon as they get it. I hope that it arrives in time for Bimini. I asked them to ship the cup holder with it, but it couldn't be done.
That is crazy! Did you ask them why they can't ship the cupholder?

I would think the dealer would take a part from another boat to fix yours. My dealer does that because they know they will get the new part from yamaha in a couple days. I'm sure that's just for small things, like cup holders though.
@subysti, I asked them to do exactly that, but they could/would not. I even asked them to give me one of their lower priced non-Yamaha cup holders to take with me and install on my own, and I told them to keep the more expensive Yamaha warranty replacement when they received it, but they couldn't do that either. I'm not really blaming the guy that I was dealing with because I could see that it is a difficult place to work at. I am however disappointed that they didn't warm the engines before removing the oil. It was the first item to do on their shop order. I'm also disappointed that they made a bad situation worse with the swim platform cup holders. It took me almost 2 hrs to fix it myself today... I work very slowly when it's 96 degrees outside. Your diagram really helped. Thanks so much.

That is crazy! Did you ask them why they can't ship the cupholder?
Well, they couldn't order it until they had enough items to order, in order to meet some minimum order requirement. Wow, I just said order four times in one sentence. Once they get it, they'll ship it to me if I pay for shipping. Earlier today, I just sealed up the bottom of the broken cup holder so that it doesn't leak into my electronics. On a positive note, because the dash cup holder drain hose was about 3 inches too short (and I'd have to extend it anyway), I ended up using some of it to rebuild the drain hose system that was not draining on my swim platform. It saved me a trip to Home Depot.

Warming the engines just makes it easier to pump the oil out....is there something else beneficial it does?
I assume that it would help get more oil out. I also assume that the work order steps would come from Yamaha, so they probably have reasons for having it as the first step. When I pointed out that they skipped the first step on the work order, I was told "You never get all the oil out anyway."

Warming the oil makes it flow better so you don't have to spend as long on the job. You get just as much oil without warming. I have done both ways. I don't think their skipping this step was a big deal. IMHO, etc.

Warming the oil makes it flow better so you don't have to spend as long on the job. You get just as much oil without warming. I have done both ways. I don't think their skipping this step was a big deal. IMHO, etc.
100% agree....it's an efficiency step, not a functional step. If they have a strong extractor it might actually slow them down and ADD risk to the process (water ingestion or over heat).

The beneficial reasons for warming the engines (and the oil) is two fold.
#1 - yes, a warmer oil will become less viscous and will be able to be drawn up easier. (less time extracting the oil, but not a huge difference).
#2 - more importantly an engine that has been warmed has had the oil circulating which means any floating solids (especially for that first service) will be suspended and hence easier to extract. Otherwise, IF the engines are not pre-ran, the possible metal shaving will be at the bottom of the oil pan, and as your dealership said "you never really get out all of the oil". So if the shavings are still floating, and the oil is warm you have a better chance of getting more of them out of the engine.

Hence why the engineers state to warm the engines prior to servicing them.

The beneficial reasons for warming the engines (and the oil) is two fold.
#1 - yes, a warmer oil will become less viscous and will be able to be drawn up easier. (less time extracting the oil, but not a huge difference).
#2 - more importantly an engine that has been warmed has had the oil circulating which means any floating solids (especially for that first service) will be suspended and hence easier to extract. Otherwise, IF the engines are not pre-ran, the possible metal shaving will be at the bottom of the oil pan, and as your dealership said "you never really get out all of the oil". So if the shavings are still floating, and the oil is warm you have a better chance of getting more of them out of the engine.

Hence why the engineers state to warm the engines prior to servicing them.
That makes total sense!

It's no surprise that Yamaha dealers can be incompetent - from what I've found - the boat builders/assemblers are somewhat incompetent too. I've got over 10 hours in to "fixing" my new boat (which happens to only have 5 hours on it)... It's just something you've got to do if you want the convenience and safety of the jet drive boat - and not to mention - the price. Ya, it's a lot of dough, but you'll probably pay quite a bit more for a "quality" boat like a sea ray, or cobalt... Yes - I said it - I think the Yamaha is a "cool" boat but not a high quality one.

I, too, think it's silly that a boat would have cup holders with drains - that drain into their carpeted storage compartments.... I guess Yamaha hasn't heard of rain.... I also would not let that dealer do important maintenance if they can't get simple things like the cup holder drain correct. If you don't know how it works - find out.. they're the dealer after all and they should know their product. They're demonstrating poor attention to detail. Poor attention to detail offers no confidence.

I think the lack of attention to detail started at the factory - when my boat was delivered it had a lot of scuffs and scratches all over it and the wake tower - lots of screws were over tightened and had stripped out what they're screwed into - all the fasteners in the doors and hinges came loose, improperly installed hardware, incompatible hardware (wrong screw lengths), lots of sharp screw tips exposed where hands end up getting cut, big floor storage locker door only opens partially (that's lame), the changing room door latch didn't work, some seat cushion hinge screws had fallen out, front boarding ladder wouldn't slide, the bow roller was a sick joke, junk left in the bilge - such as the bilge drain hole "plug", and all the water in the bilge (where is that coming from ?)... the list is long and involved.

My last new boat was a sea ray 280 and it was of exceptional quality and the dealer was very good at PDI - and that experience may have ruined me for other boat brands... If I knew how poorly built my boat was - I might have bought another sea ray and dealt with the propeller hanging below and the higher price... At the same time though - I think we're going to really like this boat after all the bugs are worked out - I just didn't bargain for all the "bugs" in the first place.

On the bright side - this forum has proven invaluable in helping keep up with the issues....

:)

IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1796.JPGIMG_1798.JPG

@Majorsmackdown , thank you for your voice of reason. I hope that Yamaha pays attention to these opinions. I'm disappointed that so many of the 2015 owners choose to fix warrantable items themselves because they don't trust their dealer to perform the fix to an acceptable standard (this is not an opinion; it's based on past posts). Many Yamaha owners seem to be value-oriented, and DIY types, and I think that many of the issues with the Yamaha boats never make it to the forum. When I have time, I would like to start a new thread that is dedicated to the dealers who are/not competent. At least folks can check the forum and know who they should not trust their boat to.

@Majorsmackdown , thank you for your voice of reason. I hope that Yamaha pays attention to these opinions. I'm disappointed that so many of the 2015 owners choose to fix warrantable items themselves because they don't trust their dealer to perform the fix to an acceptable standard (this is not an opinion; it's based on past posts). Many Yamaha owners seem to be value-oriented, and DIY types, and I think that many of the issues with the Yamaha boats never make it to the forum. When I have time, I would like to start a new thread that is dedicated to the dealers who are/not competent. At least folks can check the forum and know who they should not trust their boat to.

To be fair to my local dealer - I have a feeling they would take pretty good care of me, but I live over an hour away and often it's just better time spent to DIY rather than put in at least 4 hours of driving (to deliver, then to pick it up), and hope that things get taken care correctly. So yes, I agree - lots of small issues are just handled without bringing them up with the dealer - it's just been a little frustrating that there are so many of these small issues that it adds up to a big PITA...

I've also heard pretty bad stories about really poor service and attitude from dealers near me. I experienced it first hand when I recently attempted to buy a 2015 242 LS that was reasonably discounted at a dealer near Seattle. Those guys were the worst bunch of morons. The new boat was really a demo boat that had shown lots of wear, food stains, and the issues I've been dealing with now with the boat I did buy... But while I was there and looking it over I asked who could take care of many of the issues under warranty - like doors not working, and things falling apart, big chunks out of the gel coat, etc.... They literally gave me the silent treatment at acted like I was wasting their time. After driving 3 hours there (6 hrs round trip) I had a moment of clarity and passed on the deal. I get the feeling that buying from a Marine dealer is going to be better than buying from a Powersports dealer. Powersports dealers are notorious for having unknowledgeable and uncaring idiots working for them. Sad but true.

I don't know how your dealer works with Yamaha - but I wonder if they prefer you bring your boat in while it's under warranty so they can bill Yamaha for the labor...???

Anyhow, stay positive - I think once we're past the growing pains and learn for ourselves how our boats inner workings are we'll be better for it.

Last edited:
@Majorsmackdown - Please let us know about any other issues- We're always happy to help, sucks that you live so far away though! None the less, glad to add you to the Yamaha and RCBS Families.

-Stewart aka Ziess21

@Majorsmackdown - Please let us know about any other issues- We're always happy to help, sucks that you live so far away though! None the less, glad to add you to the Yamaha and RCBS Families.

-Stewart aka Ziess21

Thanks man, I'm good. I'm just venting that I got a little more than I bargained for - and recognizing the pain others are feeling. All in all - I think I'm still pretty happy with the decision - and it's still a pretty sexy boat... that goes a long ways. :) I'm just glad I got this ahead of time - rather than waiting for the last minute to buy it before going to Bimini next year. I can't wait !

Back