• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loose bow cleat 2019 Yamaha 242x

foreveryoung65

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have an almost new Yamaha 242x and one of my front cleats literally just game off due to the nuts coming off. I use a Wake Watcher with my boat to keep the boat off the dock in wind and waves and it puts a fair amount of pressure on the cleats. It seems impossible to reach the back of the bow cleat. You need to go into the front seat and it is way up underneath and in a tiny spot. Anyone figure out how to reach this? Seems like it is surrounded with fiberglass. I have a five year Yamaha warranty so I'm hoping they will fix it but getting the boat to them means the end of my boating season so hoping for ideas. Thanks!

Seems like a ratchet socket wrench would fit up there, with the handle to the top in the picture. Wear long sleeves...

(wait until one of your aft cleats gets loose--that one is fun...)

You need a small person (kid) and a large socket with long extension!

Yep agree ^^^ you either have to go little person big extension or remove the speaker the hinges & the seat and the back trim piece that the speaker attaches to is the only other way... Or let the dealer fool with and wonder if they leave anything else loose...

Had to go back and re-tighten the front grab rails which were even more fun than the cleats so I checked it all while in there on our 212X definitely recommend the heavy duty rubber made elbow length gloves and long shirt, that fiberglass is a wreck on anything exposed...

If there is a seat back near there remove it and drill a big hole msking sure the seat back will cover the hole when you are done. I did this to access the bolts when I installed a tower.

Definitely remove speaker. I removed complete cleat, put a little silicone adhesive on it the applied Loctite to threads. Used an adjustable wrench, it was not fun. Wear long sleeves.

That's the only way. While you're down there, look at the backing nuts on the grab rails.

When you tighten them, it may make sense to put a little lock tight on them as well...that'll keep them from vibrating loose again.

Appreciate all the input! Didn't think the speaker area was big enough to get a hand in there so will try that. Can't believe they put bolts on so badly in such impossible area to reach!

Unless you have mirrors or a second set of eyes to lay on the actual bolts; you’ll have to remove more than just the speaker itself it will require removal of most of that sides interior...

Appreciate all the input! Didn't think the speaker area was big enough to get a hand in there so will try that. Can't believe they put bolts on so badly in such impossible area to reach!
The speaker just seems so far away from the front cleat. Is this really the way??

The speaker just seems so far away from the front cleat. Is this really the way??

It depends on the model. There are a limited number of ways. Laying down looking up in a storage area, through a speaker hole, access portal in engine compartment, rear cleanout plastic tray removed. Oh...I forgot small child through the helm area.

It depends on the model. There are a limited number of ways. Laying down looking up in a storage area, through a speaker hole, access portal in engine compartment, rear cleanout plastic tray removed. Oh...I forgot small child through the helm area.
2019 242 (so any 24’ model 2015 or newer), port side bow cleat is my specific need at the moment. :)

2019 242 (so any 24’ model 2015 or newer), port side bow cleat is my specific need at the moment. :)

I don't know that boat exactly, but it has to be in one of those places. No other options.

Yes it does work.
If someone reached that cleat through the speaker, I’d like to see a picture. We tried and came up with a reach about 2’ short.

I pulled my speaker and tried this myself this past weekend, as I had a nut and both washers come off of one of the cleat studs on the port side. The parts were laying in storage compartment under the sun pads. It wasn’t happening through the speaker hole. I ended up getting myself down all the way on to the carpet on my right side and reaching up with my right arm, holding a 1/2 rachet with deep 32mm impact socket on the end. Applied silicone to the nut first and hand tightened it as much as possible before using the ratchet. I wouldn’t brag about the repair in my 20’s… but at 45, and still contorting my body the way I needed to, I was pretty damn excited. ?? Good luck!

Before pic…

Attachments

• 6D1FC523-FD2D-4F4E-930B-A877F806AF3E.jpeg
    6D1FC523-FD2D-4F4E-930B-A877F806AF3E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
I pulled my speaker and tried this myself this past weekend, as I had a nut and both washers come off of one of the cleat studs on the port side. The parts were laying in storage compartment under the sun pads. It wasn’t happening through the speaker hole. I ended up getting myself down all the way on to the carpet on my right side and reaching up with my right arm, holding a 1/2 rachet with deep 32mm impact socket on the end. Applied silicone to the nut first and hand tightened it as much as possible before using the ratchet. I wouldn’t brag about the repair in my 20’s… but at 45, and still contorting my body the way I needed to, I was pretty damn excited. ?? Good luck!
Excellent description, and thank you for the socket size!! This is the same procedure the dealer told me today when I called them. He also mentioned adding loctite when finishing.

That is exactly where we found both nuts and all 4 washers. I bought the socket today and we will tackle it this weekend.

Back