• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loose rudder/leak

singl77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has anyone dealt with a leaky rudder mount? It appears one of the lower bolts may be a bit loose, causing slow leakage??? My bilge is working its tail off. Anyone addressed this?20240127_135407.jpg20240127_135445.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve never heard of one coming loose just breaking off. I parted out a 2017 at last year and had to cut the rudder out.

What’s your plan? Tighten the nuts, maybe add lock tight and seal the edges of the rudder with adhesive?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The rudder nuts appear tight. I would expect to see staining below a nut if the bolt was not sealed. There have been issues with the drain plug seal in the past. Different boat, same drain plug.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2018-sx210-stern-drain-plug-leaking.34464/#post-554468

Hardware leaks in saltwater will stain like this...Not a Yamaha. There were a few hardware leaks here. Mainly from the white inspection plate on the stair tread as well as swim ladder hardware on either side of the plate. Also the grab rail hardware to the left. Staining will show the leaks that persist.

20240131_091059.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would have a hard time believing the loose bolt is making a bilge run constantly, I would strongly suggest you check the intermediate bearing seals that sounds more like a possible cause of water leaking in when the boat is not running. Also the rear drain fittings are notorious for leaking.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has anyone dealt with a leaky rudder mount? It appears one of the lower bolts may be a bit loose, causing slow leakage??? My bilge is working its tail off. Anyone addressed this?View attachment 214372View attachment 214373
You said it appears to be loose, have you put a wrench on it to verify that?

There are lots of places you can be getting water into the bilge, anchor locker drain, clean out tray not sealed-this can put a lot of water in the bilge especially if your clean out plugs seas need replacing as they will let a lot of water up the wells and then spills over across the clean out tray, I’ve seen several reports of the max air tube being detached from the live well fitting on the back side of the live well, do you use your raw water wash down a lot? The deck drain fitting could be loose or just not properly sealed, the plastic thru hull fitting for the deck drain and the live well drains could also be the issue.

Have you looked down into the aft bilge wile on the water to see if that is where the water is coming in from?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That keel has defiantly seen better days. If it was freshwater I would say someone had stray dock current issue. If salt water then someone left the boat stored in water all the time..

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have you ever replaced the O ring on your drain plug ?

singl77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have you ever replaced the O ring on your drain plug ?
You are probably correct. My eyes are playing tricks and make it appear as though water is leaking at the bottom 2 bolts but it most likely is the drain plug. Thank you

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You are probably correct. My eyes are playing tricks and make it appear as though water is leaking at the bottom 2 bolts but it most likely is the drain plug. Thank you
Or any of the other things I mentioned.

The cup holders are not sealed from the factory, and the two cup holders in the bow drain into the bilge, and the only rod holders that have overboard drains are the two by the storage pods, all the rest drain into the bilge. Pull the cup holders and rod holders and seal up the bases, plug the drains on the two cup holders into bow, get some universal rod holder drains from T-H marine and plumb them overboard. More info on what I did here; https://jetboaters.net/threads/2020-210-fsh-additional-deck-drains.36902/

NateKurtz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had same exact issue. Rudder bolts were loose that you could start shaking rudder and clearly see the silicon detached from boat to rudder. I had to tighten twice till I got some loktite and then re-silicone around the rudder. Leak went away after doing so.