• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Man's Best Friend Tribute

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife and I made the difficult call yesterday evening to call the ball with our 13 year old Labrador Franklin and have him put to rest. While he never boated, he was a water lover, who enjoed swimmig in Alum Creek bark park via beach access.

I have been researching Yamaha jet boats for some time now and other midlife crisises as coastal44 can attest. I thought I would share in tribute here to our companion pre-kids for other lab and dog people and share his story.

We were connected to a local lab breeder in Columbus in 2000 thru the owner of my wife's former employer. Sally Bell was serious about the process and interviewed us as much as we interviewed her as prospective owners. As < 1 year newlyweds we picked out a yellow lab pup and waited 8 weeks until we could bring him home. We toured the state with the new "grand dog" taxing the patience of our parents with shedding during holiday visits pre-kids, etc.

Once blessed with children Franklin always was is sweet and gentle. Our children have never known life without him. Through the years and life he was always there as a faithful companion. More recently arthritis made it difficult for him to traverse steps and a fall over Thanksgiving turned into spetic elbow and nasty infection. Gratefully he bounced back and made it through the holidays with us. Most recently his body began to betray him and he lost control of his bowel so standing up unintended treasures would pop out. We managed with meds 3 drugs to manage his pain with naisds since November but he took on a sadness and lethargic behavior since February. No longer whining to be come back upstairs to be with us during the morning routine, no longer wanting to play and seemed to lose his joy for life. Tara and I decided it was time and we said goodbye with our kids and released him.

Tough night last night and tough day today... while I am not known to the community as a boat owner yet, I feel a connection with you thru reading the forums over time and appreciate the opportunity to share.

Thank you Franklin for thirteen wonderful years you were a blessing to us and we will miss you.

Thanks for letting me unload.

Mark
IMG_20130907_162257.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry for your loss! We have a Labradoodle who's 4 and is an integral part of the family.....growing up we always had dogs, and it was awful went that decision was necessary.

Time will heal.....and so will a new dog! I plan to get a 2nd dog in a year or so.....that way we'll always have one....

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You have my sympathies Mark. Very sorry to hear.

We had to make a similar call with our dog Molly 2 years ago. The story sounds remarkably similar to yours. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

As Charlie Brown always said: "Life is a series of dogs."

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We had to put down our golden several years back. It was tough because the girls grew up with her and my wife actually got CJ on my first deployment and named her after my jet, f-16CJ. I met her the first time on the ramp after a ten hour flight home. It was awesome. She will never be replaced... My condolences.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mark,

Very sorry for your loss. The furry ones become an intergral part of the family - they become one of the kids - usually the better behaved of the kids and on somedays, my favorite.
We too made that decision a few years back with our beautiful 14 YO Siberian Husky. He was with us before the kids came around. He was such an active dog, it was extremely hard to watch him get old in that last year. But as tough as a decision it was, it was time.

Here's our youngest child Owen. He's now 1 year old and 92 lbs. :wideyed:
View attachment 2071 owen.png

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

I always "cared" for animals, but never was ecstatic for them as some are. However, when "my horse" had to be put down, I realized how much I loved that horse. I had that horse for my entire life, at the point she was put down.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mark, my heart goes out to you.

Our boy is going on 14 and he's had his share of ups and downs. We call him the refrigerator because his knee operation took precedence over buying the new refrigerator I promised my wife.
I was dumbfounded when I learned it cost 3k to fix him, but didn't hesitate to get it done. Subsequently he's developed arthritis pretty bad.

Now he's been diagnosed with Cushing's disease. I also think he got a bad batch of dog food at some point last year - now we cook chicken and rice for him, fed three times a day with his vitamins and he's doing much better.
He's even off the nsaids the vet prescribed. Although he has to take it easy, he still manages to climb the stairs one step at a time to come up to bed every night. On some days he'll climb the stairs several times just to see what we are up to.

I count my blessings every day and he surely is one of them. Bogey.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry about your loss Mark. It's amazing how attached we get to our pets. They seem to always be there for us when we need them. No strings attached.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Mark, as I read of your sadness and loss, I am reminded of all the stories about our dogs I have read on our forum over the years. It is a partnership and love that only a dog owner can know. It would be safe to say that we are their humans as much as they are our dogs. Your story touched me and I still sit affected. Please feel free to share more, and to heal with us, as many of us have gone through this, me included. Our boxer of 12 years, took her last breath in our arms, as she had an internal tumor rupture. Our boy Chester, has been through his ordeals, with us right there with him the entire time. And at 5 years old, he is kidney compromised and everday with him is a blessing.

May you and Tara, keep the memory and blessings that Franklin brought to you. While there will never be another Franklin, his character and spirit may grace your doorstep another time, when you are able to welcome another pup to your home. Thank you for sharing your loss with us and may time let it become the memories we smile about together.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guys, Thank you very much for the outpouring and support. Tara and I decided that quickly was better than dragging things out until this weekend (next available time to see the vet) and also I firmly believe that the weather Monday here in central Ohio at 66 degrees and sunny was a gift, allowing us to take him on a last walk. A far better outcome than now - it is 23 degrees and dropping with the system that is moving through.

Mel, speaking of smiles, I didn't share previously that we do have a second dog, Jackie. She was heartbreakingly searching for her brother Tuesday morning to eat his food.... she is a bit more dominant than he, and would run to his bowl to grab some of his food while Franklin still ate. It was funny, she seemed to miss the opportunity to pick on her older brother.

Our kids seemed to have calmed down but have asked questions that kind of catch you off guard. .. "Is Franklin in heaven with Mom-Mom?" etc.

I never imagined that a simple post would provide such catharsis. THANK YOU.

I thought I would share a picture of Franklin and Jackie (as a puppy) so you could get an idea of their dynamic. She will be three in December.

Thanks,
Mark
P1000430.jpg

Last edited:

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is Fergie aka Bootsie aka Fushigi aka....well she answers to just about anything. She loves the boat but she is epileptic so she has to wear a leash to swim now.598697_4293357656718_876341662_n.jpg 556572_4293301615317_162788351_n.jpg

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh Mark, my deepest condolences. I hope and pray that you and your family will find solace in the many wonderful memories you have created during Franklin's life. I am a dog lover and treat my doggies just as I do my children, they sleep with me every night in my bed (my kids don't though) and sit on my lap while I watch TV, I just can't imagine what it will be like to lose one.
Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Raphael

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are getting to that point. Many years ago we found a cocker mix that has been the best dog through the years. He has congestive heart failure and is on meds. He also has trouble getting up. I am dreading the day. Sorry for the lose.

The new one is trouble and does not read very well.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg