• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Marine Fuel

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I'm boating more now and noticing the fuel at marina is running $3.50 and it's $1.70 everywhere else (Florida). Is there any difference in the fuel? Anybody got any ideas besides lugging 10 cans down to the dock in my backyard?

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve been told that fuel with no ethanol is best for boats. Not sure it’s really true. But even if that’s what you’re getting, no way is it should be that much more.

There’s always a premium at marinas but the difference you’re seeing seems extreme

Scarab 215

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You can do a search and find a wealth of information regarding fuel on this forum.

Some info here

If I understand correctly, a newer boat is designed to run on ethanol gas. Many boaters take precautions when the fuel will be siting for an extended period of time.

Happy Fueling....

Last edited:

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interesting article. Thanks. A bit scary though.

I almost always use premium gas in my boats and store it for 6 months with fuel stabilizer. Never had a problem. Even had an old Chaparral which I didn’t put in the water for two seasons. Put it in the water last year and she started right up!

Breer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You can do a search and find a wealth of information regarding fuel on this forum.

Some info here

If I understand correctly, a newer boat is designed to run on ethanol gas. Many boaters take precautions when the fuel will be siting for an extended period of time.

Happy Fueling....
Good read! appreciate you posting that. I knew it was bad for seals and all but pretty interesting to learn why.

Street glide

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always used non ethanol gas at the pumps it's ussaly abt 80 cent more a gallon the regular gas . Most marinas use non ethanol and are always higher than the gas stations .

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Part of the high price is because they can. You pay for the convenience of not having to drag gas cans around. They do have additional expense to make sure the fuel can't leak into the water, special tanks and delivery pumps, and additional insurance costs. As mentioned, most marine gas is ethanol free... so you are getting a higher quality gasoline, supposedly. Here in Tx it is at least $1.00 more per gallon.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here in Tx it is at least $1.00 more per gallon.
Speak for your own side of town! Here at Lake Conroe, we have several places that give the same price at the pumps at the waterfront and up on the surface! Shell and Valero on 105, for example...

I'm sure it has ethanol, but equally sure I store my boat out of the water and go through many tanks a season, each treated with stabilizer, so I have had no issues.

I like it a lot.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's convenient for you. Not that many places on Livingston, but the ones I have seen are ethanol free and about $1.00 more.

nesnah2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I gas up at a gas station, and just add an ethanol treatment to combat the moisture absorption issues that come with ethanol (only a concern if it sits for an extended period). Gas at our marinas here in SWMI is over $3.50/gal currently, and I keep my boat at home.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat gets a taste of both (gas station regular with ethanol, and marina non-ethanol) and I can't tell the difference. These boats are made to run on either (with the exception of the super charged boats that want higher octane).

My marina price is still high because they are still selling gas they bought before the prices plummeted. They said they are due for new cheap gas soon (so they'll lower their prices)....but they always are $1 higher than the local gas stations.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If the manual states the motor can run on 10% 87 octane, as mine does, then that's what I feed it. Also gas up before we get to the lake or river.

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Generally speaking, unleaded fuel sans Ethanol has been recommended for all marine applications agnostic of injection type. As some have stated above, numerous publications have suggested that late model, DI (direct inject) engines are better adapted to handle increased levels of Ethanol ie. E15 (15% ethanol or greater) since the fuel is fed directly into the combustion chamber bypassing the valves/intake. Simply put, the combustion of Ethanol results in a higher ratio of water production and since water has the ability to corrode faster than traditional fuels, there are those who are concerned that it’s use may yield to faster break down of the engine and its components. Bear in mind that most fuels contain at least some level of Ethanol (E10/10% or less) as is government mandated so unless you’re using race gas, you’re more than likely already running at least some level of Ethanol through your motor and this limited quantity does not represent a threat and you could probably get away w running higher levels ie. </= E85, BUT you’re not actually winning at the pump and here’s why. The efficiency of Ethanol is approx 20-25 percent less than that of gasoline and as such the 25% savings at the pump is lost during combustion so sort of a darned if you do, darned if you don’t situation.