• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mercury Avator (electric outboard concept)

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No surprise these are coming but interesting nonetheless.

The electric gauge on the front of the outboard is interesting. Also quick change batteries so I assume you bring multiple and change as needed.
Not sure how big (or small) these outboards will be.

If you think about trolling motors....they are electric outboards. Most require 2-3 large batteries to have decent run times (at trolling motor speeds). I can't imagine a full size "outboard" having portable batteries....

This one looks pretty small (maybe dingy sized motor). I’m sure we will see more and more of this (solutions using electric)

cars have come a long way. I’m sure outboards and other things will follow somehow.

This one looks pretty small (maybe dingy sized motor). I’m sure we will see more and more of this (solutions using electric)

cars have come a long way. I’m sure outboards and other things will follow somehow.
Not saying they wont follow....just wont be removable batteries for a decent size outboard motor anytime soon!

My next car will likely be an electric one. Just love the idea of always pulling out of the garage with a full "tank" - one less PITA to deal with (getting gas). And far less maintenance. My neighbor has an VW ID4 - loves it (he also has solar).

Problem is that one of the main benefits of an electric motor is instant torque (ICE have max torque at high RPM). For a car where you have positive connection between the wheels and the ground, you can use that. With an outboard, the high torque at startup gets somewhat lost. Quickly you are just spinning the prop and cavitating. Not that it can't be done, but it presents some special gearing and prop challenges...

I got that email from Mercury yesterday too. Imagine the places where this will be popular. All those places that have limitations on gas engines, or noise. Or the folks that love the four stroke Yamaha outboards on their pontoons for noise levels, this would be ideal.

The folks that slip or lift their boat every day will have it best. As shore power could charge the boat and batteries all in one shot. As far as removeable batteries, that would not be necessary on the larger boats. A boat MFG could place the batteries onboard where the fuel cell once was and really elminate the need for all the weight and size hanging off the transom.

if they standardize the lower units, it should effectively change the whole transom design, as that motor is not up on top, but rather down low like a trolling motor. The power head is pointless. This will be interesting for the sub 50hp market, as well as the larger outboard market. Mercury will need to pick their battles, as they can't create something that will bit into the market share on the high hp outboards too.

Back