• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

MICE!!!!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sooooooo, we pull in to the hotel parking lot around 10 pm Thursday night. All our friends are out there celebrating the full moon or anything else that comes to mind.

We get a warm welcome and after schlepping the bags and cooler to the room we come out and settle in for our traditional late night welcoming party as more friends arrive as the night progresses.

One of my buddies starts to tell me that he thinks that there is a rodent problem over where we store the boats. Another chimes in that he thinks he had some mice on his boat too and that I should check mine...

...so I do. No signs of mice on the Yamaha. I go over and look at my buddy's boat, sure enough, droppings all over the place. We are hanging out talking and all of a sudden I see a mouse scamper out of the boat cover which is all balled up in the bow of his Malibu. It runs toward the stern and I start hollering to my friend that it's still on his boat!

We tear into the boat, throwing stuff out, pulling cushions. I get to the front compartment where the batteries are and I find that they have already started storing food, etc. for the weekend - I take all that out and keep looking - WOW - four little baby mice! There's a nest!!

Turns out that someone left food behind from the last trip.

You leave food- especially bags of potato chips, and you'll get mice.

I told him to set some traps OUTSIDE the boat when he puts it away. That way they don't die inside.

And it helps to store your boat next to one that has a rattlesnake living under it....they like mice. :cool:

(next day he went and bought some traps, they got the bugger the next night)

Sounds like you need a cat!

I keep dryer sheets in all the storage compartments in my camper, I don't know why but mice hate them, i was thinking about doing the same in the boat. I keep mine at home in a pole barn, same as the camper.

I keep dryer sheets in all the storage compartments in my camper, I don't know why but mice hate them, i was thinking about doing the same in the boat. I keep mine at home in a pole barn, same as the camper.

I do the same in my toyhauler. Also sprinkle baking soda around the tires to keep ants from climbing up. So far I haven't had any issues with varmints or vermin.

I'll rip those meeces to pieces........:D

image.jpg

I wish I would have taken a picture of the mouse nest I found. I stored my lawnmower behind my garage under a tarp last winter and last week when I uncovered it I found a huge mouse nest. There must have been 12 or more babies. The momma mouse ran a foot away and just sat there not knowing what to do. Then she grabbed one of the babies and darted off under the air conditioner.

8 years or so ago, chipmunks built a nest in our AC unit and chewed the insulation off the wires over the winter (in Chicago). The first time we fired up the AC, it shorted out and fried the entire AC controller boat in the furnace....cost a fortune! It was then I learned my friends chipmunk extermination technique....very simple....bucket of water (half full)....sunflower seeds and a board. Pour enough seeds on the water so it covers the surface. Chipmunks walk up the ramp (put a couple of sunflower seeds up it), they see the whole bucket of seeds and jump in. Remove bodies later...

8 years or so ago, chipmunks built a nest in our AC unit and chewed the insulation off the wires over the winter (in Chicago). The first time we fired up the AC, it shorted out and fried the entire AC controller boat in the furnace....cost a fortune! It was then I learned my friends chipmunk extermination technique....very simple....bucket of water (half full)....sunflower seeds and a board. Pour enough seeds on the water so it covers the surface. Chipmunks walk up the ramp (put a couple of sunflower seeds up it), they see the whole bucket of seeds and jump in. Remove bodies later...
:hilarious:

Leaving food behind on the boat is always a bad idea. I was out last weekend and noticed a couple of ants then opened the ice chest in the floor and there was 50-100 of them in the there. We left the trash in there from the week before.

The crazy part is that my boat is covered and on a lift half way down the dock at the marina

Cruel bastards!!!! LOL , I'm going to build one!!!!

Chipmunks have been a pain in the ass over the years. I've used a big rat trap and peanut butter. Get em every time.
Now I have to find a solution for the woodpeckers that keep pecking on my house.

I have a friend on the Cape who is going through a mouse infestation in his house. I've been letting the pest control people in. They have taught me that a baby mouse will start reproducing in about 28 days. Then those babies will reproduce in the next 28 days. I like the "walking the plank" idea @Julian.

Back