• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Microsoft Surface Book-anyone got one?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm an Apple guy and these have intrigued me! I need a Windows for work related software so I'm subscribed to this thread for info.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Word on the street is they are coming out with Book V2 sometime in the middle of the year (maybe)....which is why the prices on the current model are dropping. I can't get my Microsoft contacts to say a peep!

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I haven't used the Surface Book, but the Surface Pros we have/use at work are really nice. I'd recommend them to people that are looking to replace a laptop with something a bit closer to a tablet, but still want the feel of a laptop at times (or vice versa). I think they do well in both situations. Also great for people that travel a lot and bring a laptop, so much more portable and still just as powerful.

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Julian , Christy has one and absolutely loves it. It's fast as hell and the screen resolution and sensitivity is through the roof. She uses it at home to record lecture videos for her class, in class she detaches the screen and walks around the lecture hall driving her presentation on the projector, marking up the slides in real time while recording it on the fly from anywhere in the room. She even uses the camera in class to take snapshots of students papers and then marks them up real time on the screen while it is projecting for the whole class to see. When she got it, the IT department was drooling over it when they had it to set up the University encryption on it. Our gamer son has been caught numerous times trying to get his hands on it to give it a go, because the specs are so good on it.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We just bought a used Surface Pro 1 off of Craigslist ($300) for our daughter who is going to college. Absolutely love it. You can chicken scratch your notes and it accurately converts it to a Word document. I can't imagine what your i7 is going to do. The only thing I miss is it does not have a built in GPS.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Changing jobs starting Monday. I will be getting a Surface Pro & will report my experience.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I've had a Surface Pro 3 for about a year now. Although I initially liked it, the upgrade to Win 10, removed some features that I was using. Overall, I'm sick of the constant Microsoft quirkiness of Windows. The Blue tooth pen has been very temperamental when using OneNote. Sometimes it connects and other times, it doesn't.

The available apps for the surface pro are pretty light compared to the iPad also.

Bottom line, I'm going back to an iPad, now that they have the iPad Pro. I'll also be replacing my desktop with a Mac Mini in the next few months also.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm an Apple guy and these have intrigued me! I need a Windows for work related software so I'm subscribed to this thread for info.
@Murf'n'surf ,

I'm an Apple guy too. There are MANY ways to run Windoz on an Apple. I use VmWare Fusion. If VM won't work for your application, you can do bootcamp.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf ,

I'm an Apple guy too. There are MANY ways to run Windoz on an Apple. I use VmWare Fusion. If VM won't work for your application, you can do bootcamp.
I've tried the VM before and never liked going back and forth between OS. I guess I'm happier keeping work life on a Windows machine and personal life on a Mac.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've tried the VM before and never liked going back and forth between OS. I guess I'm happier keeping work life on a Windows machine and personal life on a Mac.
@Murf'n'surf ,

In the VM (while its running)..its a SIMPLE there finger swipe left and right on mousepad to go between the two??

If you like COMPLETELY separate..then use the FREE Bootcamp Assistant and INSTALL a version of Windows on your mac !. Then boot up..decide what you want and go!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I personally prefer a traditional notebook/clamshell configuration. I like the physical robustness, and the fact that I don't have to mess around with any bits and pieces (keyboard, monitor flip-outs, carrying/protective case) other than the charge cord. I decided to go with a Dell 2-in-1. For around $800, it has an i7 processor and a solid state drive. You can use it as a notebook, or as a tablet. I often work in my lap while seated, so having the keyboard directly attached to the monitor is an important feature for me.

Top Bottom