• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Motor won’t turn / starts fine with impeller pulled

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi All,
Been awhile since I’ve been on here - finally got the boat ready this past weekend and went to start the starboard motor and nothing, didn’t even turn. It attempted to but something was clearly stopping that. Pulled the impeller to see if a bird built a nest up there over the winter and nothing, clear as day. With the impeller off I cranked the motor and zero problems, ran smooth as butter and everything sounded normal. Impeller did spin freely. I’m fearful the intermediate bearing is trashed, anyone else have a thought? I would assume that bearing would sound rough or something off even with the impeller out.

Things I know are not the problem:
1) Batteries are fine
2) Plugs are good
3) Impeller spins freely off the boat
4) Motor starts and runs perfectly with impeller off the boat

**Edit: spelling

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would say your wear ring has swollen, its a common issue, im on my phone do can't easily search for a thread about it

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went and took a second look at it yesterday - thats my guess too after relooking at it.

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Babbitt's is out of wear rings and stating they are on nationwide back order - who else does everyone deal with that they've had good experiences with?

P/N: 6CR-R1312-00-00

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are you sure it wasn't just the clean out hatch switch acting up? I would think you would notice the impeller hitting the wear ring when you pulled it if it was binding enough to stop the motor from turning.

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm nearly certain its not that - the starboard motor doesn't even make half a revolution but it does attempt to. It was definitely challenging getting the impeller in and out. Pulled the port just to compare and it was much easier.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just an option until the wear rings come, in, take the housing with wear ring and impeller to locate tool shop have them run offset boring bar thru and clean it up and bring back into tolerance, should be about .010" clearance between edge of impeller and ring. Will get you back on the water.