• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My flying camera platform

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I sometimes forget that I started posting quadcopter footage on YJB before continuing to do so here. I've recently purchased a few upgrades so now seems to be a good time to post them and the quad copter here.

For starters, I've been flying nitro-methane powered RC helicopters for about 5 years then quit the hobby for another 5 before picking it up again last October. At first my intent was to buy a used quad copter to play with and take footage with while boating and camping. So I chose the DJI Phantom over the AR Drone mainly because the AR Drone is more of a toy than the Phantom. Fast forward a few months and crashes later, I end up giving my Phantom to my son and picking up a Phantom 2 Vision to replace it. I made my upgrade mistakes on the Phantom 1, so I've been a lot more choosy when buying for the Phantom 2. Of course, DJI just released the Phantom 2 Vision + which for another hundred dollars includes a 3 axis gimble (to level and stabilize the camera mechanically and automatically during flight) v. the current single axis gimble on the Phantom 2. There is no upgrade path from the 2 to the 2+, if I want a better gimble I have to buy it separately, i want it to work with the same camera while still having manual control over the tilt function, the cost is $250 to $750. Sounds a lot like GoPro's technology road map for the 3 and 3+.

Here are pics of my "rig" so far. Previously installed mods are the blade guards, carbon fiber props, go pro camera mount and of course the pool noodle floats (which will keep the heli from sinking but not the electronics from getting wet). I also bought this on a special, being that I got an extra battery at no added cost. There is plenty of info online about this quadcopter so I won't bore you with the details but flight time is between 25 and 30 minutes with the stock camera only and the batteries retail for $160 each so having or buying a extra is big deal. The stock camera's pics are comparable to that of a goprohero 3 black edition. Top speed is in the low 20s. I bought a mount for my ipad mini as well as a small canopy/shade for it. I can use the ipad mini or a smart phone to fly in FPV (first person view mode, basically I see what the camera sees in real or close to real time). In addition to the view I also get all the important telemetry on the tablet or phone (e.g., altitude, speed, distance, battery charge remaining, satellites engaged as well as full control of the camera).

Recent upgrades, which have not yet been installed are an antennae to extend the range of the wifi booster to make the camera / phone/ ipad connection more stable past the 200 foot mark and taller and wider landing gear, hopefully I'll still be able to keep the floats on the heli but keep them out of my footage. On a semi related note, I also upgraded to a gopro hero 3 + black edition. Unfortunately, so far I can't tell the difference between its and the white version's pics.

Finally, here is link to a video I put together in Feb. of this year (it starts with some still shots then video, at 45 seconds you will start seeing more than just water. Enjoy and if you like what you see and want to see more (not necessarily of boats), consider subscribing to "RonnieTV" once you are on youtube.

Any questions or comments?

P4152744.JPG
P4152747.JPG

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So are you driving the boat and flying the copter at the same time? I think I recall you saying that it has a hold function where you can fly to a certain spot and tell it to hover there?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh yes, in this video I was flying and driving at the same time but only when I was rotating the helicopter to track the boat in a turn. Most of the video was shot after I put the helicopter in a hover, after which I could put the remote down (completely hands off) to drive the boat instead.

The dji phantoms have GPS assisted stabilization that is switch selectable. Some people don't like the jerky movements the GPS can produce when filming so they turn it off. The feature uses GPS to keep the heli in about a 4 foot square area in the air even when the wind is blowing (within reason and it does not adjust elevation at all).

It also has a return to home feature so if the radio signal is lost or the operator loses the heli in flight it will return to whatever spot the user designates as home, usually the last point of calibration. In the opposite situation the heli has a quasi radar like feature so if you crash you can use this to find the helicopter.

One other feature that I haven't gotten used to is advanced orientation which is also switch selectable. Basically the user can flip a switch and the helicopter will always react in relation to how it is oriented to the remote. For example, even if the helicopters side is facing me, I can pull back on the control stick and it will come towards me, push it forward it moves away, etc. I think this is a great feature, especially for new flyers, but it's hard for me to switch from traditional to this mode.

Last edited:

InTooDeep

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie I definitely caught the bug after watching a few of your videos. I've been researching the phantoms for about a month now and plan to purchase one when I return from my deployment. I was excited to see the P2V+ introduced. My biggest decisioin now is whether to get the P2V+ or the P2 with the H3-3D gimbal. Right now I'm leaning towards the p2V+ due to it's ready to fly FPV and cost, but the gopro hero 3+ black appears to be the better camera.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I could do it again, I'd get the p2v+ with the cost difference of only $100. I can't tell the difference in picture or video quality between the vision and gph3+ cameras (I just bought the black edition of this camera). The one big feature difference is that the vision doesn't record sound but it makes sense since it is a dedicated heli camera so all you would hear is the blades spinning anyway. There is enough room for a go pro mount behind the vision camera. I have one there and have flown with two cameras at the same time, one taking video and the other taking stills but I rarely do that, since one of the results is that you get twice as much footage, great when you want it, not so great when you go to edit it.

So far the editing has been the most time consuming aspect of the hobby. What's nice about the go pro is that it can be used elsewhere without the heli but the fpv and telemetry provided by the vision is great and would cost a lot more than the $400 to $500 price difference between the p2 and p2v models if you had to add these features afterwards.

The other upgrades I'm considering is a plug and play 2 axis gimble with a 3rd axis option, having the internal components waterproofed. There is company (dslr pros I think) that has demos on you tube which shows them landing their phantom in a pool and lake or ocean, letting it sink to the bottom, pulling it out , shaking it off and immediately putting it back in the air. I don't know what it costs and hopefully it is more than them just applying hair spray to the electronics but I haven't accepted the idea of me sending them my heli. If I could buy their product and apply it myself I would have already done so. The last mod would be to replace the floaties with an air bag that automatically inflates when it is submerged. This would lighten the payload and hypothetically give me more flight time while still giving me the peace of mind that if I crash land in the water I will get something back to rebuild. Funny but my son and I flew them earlier this week and the biggest concern was the trees. If a phantom gets stuck in one, especially a tall one, I would have a hell of a time recovering it.

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow. It's amayzing how much technology is built into those devices. Gps assisted hovering and flying? RC flying has comes long way!!!

InTooDeep

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What software are you using to edit your videos? Did you have any editing experience prior to owning your phantom?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use gopros freeware (gopro studio, I think) to edit go pro footage and you tubes video editing functions to edit everything else as well as to add music to everything.

As for Pryor editing experience, I don't have much video editing experience but used to spend some time editing pics. I started in the late 90s when digital cameras were just getting popular and distinctly remember my friend walking into compusa and paying $800 for a "point" 8 megapixel camera and a 4 mob memory cared. I am happy that things have changed.

10-8

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice Ronnie. Be careful getting the FPV bug. I did a couple of years ago and look what happened!

As you step up from the Phantom, things get more expensive but the capabilities get incredible! Was out last weekend and a friend flew his TBS Disco (just like the small quad you see here) out 4 miles and back for a total 8 mile trip! Have Fun!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't think my wife / family CFO will let me go much farther with this. She already reminds me of how muc time and money I spent the first time I got the rc heli bug. Nice birds and ground station you have there. I live close to heli world so whenever I can I go down to their shop to buy my heli gear, just to see what else they have on display. Their focus has shifted to multi copters lately so they have some incredible machines out there, some with props on the bottom and top of each arm and 6 to 8 arms. Funny, none of them are priced and most are almost ready to fly instead of complete kits. Still I seen the prices range on the bigger models from $5k to$15k, basically a nice used other new pwc.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice looking set ups Ronnie and 10-8!

I have a cheapy Syma X1 from Amazon. It can't go very far without losing signal but it has been fun to play with. There is an easy way to make it do flips which the kids love to see.

One day soon I will have a bigger quad capable of recording video (probably a Phantom since they seem to be the most popular and easiest to use).

quadcopter 1.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You are doing it right, get used to flying/crashing the smaller craft first. It will make transitioning to a bigger multi copter so much easier. FYI there is no easy way to flip or fly the phantom upside down/inverted, the configuration needs ton be changed via computer.