• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My latest DJI phantom (aka Drone) mod

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just getting a head on the typing:

Here are pics of a camera gimbal I just installed on my drone (technically remote controlled helicopter). It is a camera mount with servos that automatically stabilizes the camera's pitch and roll so it stays level and pointed in the same direction (for the most part) even if the helicopter tilts forward, backward, left or right.

Here are the first videos I took with the gimbal mounted and an overview of the gimbal itself.

Now the back story, well a few bullet points anyway.
1. This thing was $400.
2. The estimated wait time was up to 8 weeks. I got it 8 weeks late, right after my boating season ended.

Was it worth it? Only time will tell.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry about the teaser, here are the pics and video links.
GoPro DJI (1).JPG
GoPro DJI (2).JPG GoPro DJI (3).JPG
GoPro DJI (4).JPG

Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Nice....I have a custom build one that I bought Naza GPS for, I just need to get it installed. Does yours have GPS? After all the work I put into mine, it cost a lot more than the DJI, I wish I would have just bought that. I think mine is a little bigger though....34" across rotor tip to rotor tip.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @Big Shasta . The dji phantom 1 and 2 both have GPS stabilization and the phantom 2 can fly autonomously (I.e. Like a drone) via dji ground station application.

I know what you mean on costs. 6 months after I bought the phantom 2 vision they came out with a model that has a 3 axis gimbal for $100 more. I just surfed for some batters on craigs list and am seeing p2v's for $700. Still, it's all relative some of dji's other models are in the $5k range.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
DJI did a great job with the packages they put out. I built mine about 6 months before they became popular enough for me to hear about them. The amount of accessories is great, I basically have to design and 3d print or try to adapt everything I want to put on mine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I keep looking at the DJI drones, but I fear it would be one of those toys that spends more time on a shelf than actually getting used. And for $1200 thats an expensive shelf toy....

Although I wondered about buying one for the office to play with.....R&D....right?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think its an inexpensive way to get into aerial photography/videography and it looks like something Stores like brookstone would carry. Not for me but still a nice gadget.

I saw the dji phantom 2 vision I bought last year about this time for $1,200 on sale for $800 today. That burned a little until I remembered that I've gotten my money's worth out of it. It got me to get educated about taking, editing and posting videos as well as motivated me to resume flying rc Helis and refine my skills. Having stated all of that I will be limiting my use to boating and camping related activities and some off season practice sessions so my quad copter is getting a lot of shelf time but that is alright since its intentional. All told I've got close to $3k in this which is a lot for shelf queen, by comparison professional rigs go for $15k to $120k. It's all relative, most of us have boats that cost $10k to $60k that sit for 6 months or more and only get used 3 or 4 times a month the rest of the year, which is a lot more money for a trailer queen.

Nothing compares to the maintenance costs of the actual queens (wives) though.

Last edited:

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I want a DJI bad....I've been eyeing them for a while now. My fear is not that it will get used or not, my fear is losing it in the drink since a majority of the use would be during boating. @Ronnie ....would you recommend one wit the camera already, or one with a GOPRO gimbal?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@redthumper9 , I have the same fear every time I put my phantom in the air over water, everytime. However, it is easily overcome with a few pieces of pool noodle on the landing gear. These will keep the phantom afloat in the event of a landing/crash into the water. They will not protect the electronics (at least not the way I have them set up) but you will have something to rebuild. Two alternatives to this are (1) send it into dslr pros to have it waterproofed and / or (2) buy or make some floating landing gear to keep the electronics out of the water. Here are links to two videos related to these alternatives.

My latest worry after seeing what is around the water in some of the places I boat is recovering it if it lands there. Some of the land is developed farm land but some it is also undeveloped land that would be difficult to access from the water and in some instances very difficult to navigate on (lots of overgrown / thorny brush).

I would definitely recommend buying the phantom 2 vision + ($1,300) or something similar like the phantom 2 vision ($800) or Blade 350qx ($850). The dji fc 40 is another one, a phanton one with a more limited camera and possibly less fpv features ($400 ish). Be on the look out for combo deals that include extra batteries, carrying cases, etc. for the same price. These multi rotors are ready for aerial photography videography out of the box in that they all give the user complete control over the camera as well a first person viewing capability through the users smart phone. Adding these features to a bare multi rotor phantom or other wise is an expensive proposition. For example a two or three axis gimble to stabilize the camera automatically costs between $200 and $300. A basic first person viewing system is another $300 to $500, depending on how much telemetry you want. Included on the phantoms telemetry display is battery life remaining, number of satellites it's locked into, a radar like screen showing distance and orientation of the heli, altitude, speed, etc. you can also view what you recorded on your smart phone or tablet, just to name a few things. Also, The phantom 2s can be programmed to act like true drones (fly autonomously that is, take off, fly a predetermined route and land by itself) though dji's free ground station app.

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/multirotor/kits/Phantom-2-v3-Vision-Plus/index.html?pageid=80

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/multirotor/kits/DJIPHVSN-Phantom-2-Vision/index.html?pageid=991

http://sheldonshobbies.com/collections/r-c-multirotors-1/products/350-qx2-ap-combo-rtf-with-safe-technology-by-blade

Like boating getting into multi copters can be addictive / expensive. Buying your second multi copter first is definitely sound advice coming from a guy who learned it the hard / expensive way.

Last edited: