• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My seats are turning pink

RadioWaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought this boat in August, it had only been used twice with only 17 hours on it then put in a climate controlled building. We used it through September with no issues, the seats looked new. I just noticed that the bow cushions are starting to turn pink, like something is bleeding through. I remember something about this on the 230 model boats but haven't heard of it on the 240's, also can't figure out why it is just now starting.

Attachments

• IMG_20170102_152449684.jpg
    IMG_20170102_152449684.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20170102_152505920.jpg
    IMG_20170102_152505920.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 91
Not sure what that is and do not remember an issue with something bleeding through. However there have been lots of mention about the color of certain article of clothing, towels, etc. bleeding onto the cushions particularly when the articles are new. We had a similar experience where one or our friends was wearing a new bathing suit that bleed into the cushion. We tried to remove it with every thing you can think of with no success. After 2 outings it went away on its own. The sum faded the dye away. Try putting that cushion in the sun for a few days and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure it's not something like a towel or swimsuit because the cushions were fine when I stored them and it is just on the seams

Are you storing the boat in a climate controlled building too? The pink could be from mold inside the cushion. Moisture and heat are usually the culprits.

I recall someone having this issue before...something like the glue used on the backing was bleeding through.....will see if I can find it.

The boat is in a heated shop, usually keep it pretty low unless I am out there working. Seats were no wetter than normal, boat never sits outside, sounds like mold is the answer I just cant figure out why it is happening and what I can do to stop it. I like the idea of setting them in the sun but it might be 2 months before the sun shines here :(

Thanks for the links Julian, I am leaning towards the mold answer. It's odd though, I have owned a lot of boats over the last 35 years even 3 Yamahas but have never seen this.

Update, I used deluted bleach on an inconspicuous area and it cleared up right away. Going to look for something safe for the material but not too worried about it now, thanks for the replies

Late to respond but yes, its mold. You've unknowingly provided the proper environment for the mold to grow. It might have been as simple as a particular sunscreen on the vinyl acting as food for the microorganisms.

Would 303 protect from this happening again?

Thanks for the tip, I will for sure order some today!

That is most definitely mold. I have a similar issue in my boat. The mold is actually growing on the foam or underside of the vinyl. The sun will oxidize the mold and return the color back to white after some time, but until you stop the food source for the mold, you're problem will continue to re-occur.

We took our seat covers off and noticed the plastic barrier between the foam and vinyl had some moisture in it. Had my upholstery lady re-seal the foam with new clear plastic. This helped, but didn't completely fix my problem. The only true fix is to replace the vinyl, but that could be very expensive if there are a lot of cushions with the mold.

The mold is picked up from the air and the spores are then washed into the vinyl by getting wet or from people sitting and rubbing them into the vinyl. They say this mold effects roughly 15% of the boats out there. Even happens on brand new boats.

There is a company that can treat these stains and "allegedly" remove them for good, but the process is expensive and time consuming. The company used to be called Pink Away, but has since been bought out by gestalt scientific. Here's a link to their site: http://gestaltscientific.com/

I had no idea how wide spread this problem is. I used to have a houseboat with outdoor carpet and the algae and mold would take over every year until I found a product called wet and forget. Spray a coat on the carpet in the spring and never had any regrowth, carpet stayed looking like new. I tried a little on the pink stains and it cleared them instantly, only problem is that I'm afraid it might be to harsh for the seat material. I will monitor the bleached spot and the wet and forget spot to see if the pink monster returns.

Iv had pink mold before to it will keep coming back just have to hit it with bleach when it does from what I understand is that it comes from a micro organism living inside the foam

Glad you found the cause and have a means to address the symptom. Now time to fix the root cause.

I don't know how you address the root cause, it's a boat and it's going to get wet. It looks to me like all we can do is treat the symptom as it appears. Talked to a guy yesterday who owns a 2 year old South Bay pontoon, he leaves it in an uncovered slip with a sunbrella cover on it. He said that every time he uncovers it he has the same pink mold but within hour of being out in the sun it disappears.

I just find it strange that as long as I have been in boating I have never seen this.

I don't know how you address the root cause, it's a boat and it's going to get wet. It looks to me like all we can do is treat the symptom as it appears. Talked to a guy yesterday who owns a 2 year old South Bay pontoon, he leaves it in an uncovered slip with a sunbrella cover on it. He said that every time he uncovers it he has the same pink mold but within hour of being out in the sun it disappears.

I just find it strange that as long as I have been in boating I have never seen this.
@RadioWaves Great post!
My money is on the Wet and Forget, as it seems to contain some kind of an alkylated amonium chloride compound, basically same or similar to Lysol - a disinfectant/antimicrobial agent. I would think that should not be too destructive for vinyl and seams -- unlike any kind of bleach! (chlorine or oxy).

--

Back