• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice on noise in 12v supply

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am hooking up a Raspberry Pi to play music for the boat but have noise in the signal whenever it is powered from the boat. If I draw power from an external source there is no noise, only minimal static.

Previously I experienced similar noise using a Fusion Bluetooth adapter and a Sabrent AirPlay adapter. The Pi introduces the lowest noise of the three.

In the video below I start with the Pi running from a USB battery pack and there is no noise. Then I plug it into the boat and the noise starts. Then I unplug and the noise goes away. Finally I replug and the noise is back.

I either need to replace my USB power supply with one that will filter the noise or filter the noise before the power supply. The Pi will be powered from a USB power supply inside the console. I used the one on the dash for the video. The in console power supply is connected to the stereos power leads.

I appreciate your advice.

@David Analog, do you have any tips?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce ,

I would like to put a scope on the positive and negative. However. I'm guessing the SMPS used by your dash USB jack is the issue.

Replacing that with a better 12v->5v jack is your best bet. I post conversion filter could be designed (I don't think I e ever sent one) to plug onto the end of your USB cable.

Ferrite beads are used on cables for noise.

Last edited:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When he said "filter", that is exactly what a ferrite bead does for power cords.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Chances are, too, that @Bruce wouldn't even have to buy one. If you have some old "wall warts" laying around you could grab one off of it and try it.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@farrelltravis, off of it or out of it. Very happy to try anything that I have laying around.

The USB outlet in the video is the Blue Seas FCC certified model that the pilots discuss using.

My current thinking is to order a 12v filter for the power supply and a ground loop isolator for the RCA cable.

Could I install the ferrite bead on the power wire before the the USB supply?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look for any old cord you have laying around that has something that looks like this on it. That is a ferrite bead. Take it off the old cord and put it on the cord at issue and see if that solves your problem.

Cable_end.JPG

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce ,

In my field I teach to not guess....test. Hence my earlier statements about scoping. If the engine was not running, the odds that the 12v source is the noise issue are minimum. I was unaware a RCA was attached.

The raspberry PI is powered by 5VDC USB?

Since it doesn't make a noise when powered from the USB battery. My our issue is either the SMPS in the blue seas jack and/or the differences between 12v battery ground and the ground output of the USB jack.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or, if you have a USB cable with the head on it...just use that to power the PI

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found a ferrite on a wall wart and cut it off to experiment with. I removed the panel where the BlueSeas USB supply is installed and disconnected the wires from the back.

The hum remained when I disconnected the positive. So there must be RF or a loop on the ground. Experimenting further I found that a small amount of noise is introduced when the positive alone is connected but the majority of the noise comes from the ground.

I connected the ferrite ahead of the BlueSeas USB power supply and found that the hum remained.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
When you have a source device, like a phone or other, that displays no noise when operating on battery power but suddenly yields noise when operating on a power supply which in turn is fed by the boat, then you have a voltage traveling down the signal ground.
That which is intended to shield the signal from noise is now the noise transmitter. Kind of the fox watching the hen house.
So what is usually done is to interrupt the ground shield with an isolation transformer, such as those found in a ground loop isolator. I don't normally care for the device because it treats the symptom and leaves the original cause intact. But in this scenario it is often unavoidable. Worth a try.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So what is usually done is to interrupt the ground shield with an isolation transformer, such as those found in a ground loop isolator. I don't normally care for the device because it treats the symptom and leaves the original cause intact. But in this scenario it is often unavoidable. Worth a try.
David, this PAC SNI-1 Noise Isolator has good reviews on Amazon and Crutchfield. Would you try it or can you recommend something better?

I would use it with two 1.5' shielded RCA cables.

Do you think that this Pyramid NS12 12 Amp InLine Noise Suppressor would do any good? I believe I have confirmed that the hum is coming from the ground. Can I install any kind of filter on the ground?

Thanks

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found a ferrite on a wall wart and cut it off to experiment with. I removed the panel where the BlueSeas USB supply is installed and disconnected the wires from the back.

The hum remained when I disconnected the positive. So there must be RF or a loop on the ground. Experimenting further I found that a small amount of noise is introduced when the positive alone is connected but the majority of the noise comes from the ground.

I connected the ferrite ahead of the BlueSeas USB power supply and found that the hum remained.

Was worth a shot. Sorry that didn't work for you.