• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Advice on Price of Used SX230

marmstufl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All,

I'm looking at purchasing the following 2006 SX230 for $23,000. The NADA price tag for this boat is 21.5k in the condition/options it's in. I'm just throwing this out there for you experts (this is my first jet boat), if the condition is as described, is $23,000 worth it for a fresh water only SX230 in this condition (albeit a bit aged)?

Owner is able to supply me a few years worth of maintenance records, it looks like he's taken very good care of this boat. I know $23,000 is on the high side, but what do you all think? Engine has less than 300 hours on it.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/5812935409.html

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very nice looking boat, in my opinion definitely on the high end of price scale but not unreasonable.

Just for a point of reference, I saw this '07 SX230HO at a local dealer near me this past weekend, the dealership was closed so I didn't talk to anyone about it but it looks clean and decent from what I could see, http://columbia.craigslist.org/bod/5811589872.html . To me this boat seems to be on the extreme low end of the scale. Heck this past March when I traded in my '07 SX230HO, I got a couple grand more for my '07 SX230HO sight unseen.

marmstufl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah, thank you for your insight, I figured it wasn't way out of the ballpark, just on the high end. The other boat I was looking at was this one: 2008 SX230 HO. Looks like it's lived in salt water it's whole life, probably needs new upholstery and some low end maintenance:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-YAMAHA-SX-230-HO-102858437

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Man...That boat looks sweet!!! Yes...it is on the high side. If you can afford it I would jump on it. It really looks well cared for and that could save you a lot of money in the long run. That boat still has years of enjoyment left in it. Also, as the new models continue to increase in value these well cared for boats become more coveted.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, thank you for your insight, I figured it wasn't way out of the ballpark, just on the high end. The other boat I was looking at was this one: 2008 SX230 HO. Looks like it's lived in salt water it's whole life, probably needs new upholstery and some low end maintenance:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-YAMAHA-SX-230-HO-102858437
I definitely wouldn't buy the '08, the '07 in my area, which is 7-8 hours north of you, is a much better deal and $1k cheaper.

The '06 is a very nice boat and having some history of the boat is a big plus. Those engine are bullet proof, like @Zarrella said, there is plenty of good life left in that boat.

marmstufl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's what I was thinking: Knowing the history of the boat, Knowing that it's been in fresh water it's whole life, also knowing that it's been maintained (records and pictures) are a big plus. I'll be seeing the boat tomorrow and with any luck we'll see where it goes.

I plan on using the boat to jet around the bay here in Tampa, so the only 2 things I'll be adding onto it are a dual battery kit and a GPS.

Again, thank you guys for your input, I really appreciate it.. Love this site!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

Here are some points on that boat;

1. She is the first generation 230. Some prefer this model but it generally sells for a lower price.
2. I do not believe that she is a high output model. All 2007+ 230s are HO models.
3. She appears to be in great condition and highly upgraded.
4. That cover would likely cost $1,000 to $1,500.
5. She has ~$1,000 of SeaDek flooring.
6. Her trailer has ~$1,000 of tire and wheel upgrades.
7. The cover is more work to use than a $650 factory cover.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 08 ar230 is for sale was a freshwater boat till I bought it this spring. It's listed in the classified. :).

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought my 06SX230 6 years ago. I was seeing 21k - 23k at that time. This was for the HO motors and galvanized trailers. Granted the add ons are worth something but 23k is way over the mark. I would go 20k if they had the HO motors and the galvanized trailer.

yamahaar230honewb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently bought our 2006 AR230 for 15500, it had about 200 hours and looks to be in almost equally good condition. Your trailer looks nicer then ours, which we ended up putting about 800 into to get in tip top shape.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is not on the high side, it is on the much, much too high side. Seller is a dreamer. It's a buyer's market out there. Yes, with the outrageous prices on the new Yamahas, this has allowed the used market to steady and in fact, possibly increase slightly the value of a used Yamaha. I don't care if it was used in salt or not (I'd closely examine the boat to see for myself) but an 06 for this price? Nope. I'm not paying this. Especially considering the non HO motors. As example, I bought an 08 SX230 in spring, 2013 for 23,900. 26 hours. 2 years left on the warranty as it was purchased NEW in 2011. I think I'd be lucky to get 23,000 for it now, even with about 100 hours on it and in perfect condition and a well documented history of care.

If you are going to spend 23, why not spend a bit more and get a much better deal and boat???

4k more??

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2011-sx240-27-000-only-75-hours.10223/page-2#post-200358

2K more???

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2008-ar230.11610/

2900 more???

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=69823

I guess I should correct my original comment that the guy is dreaming. He is not dreaming, he is engaged in a full out fantasy trip. No way you should pay 23 K for that 10 year old boat. Hell, I'd be tempted to sell you mine for what he is asking and mine is in much, much better condition with half the hours. Ha ha want to come to Maryland???

DO NOT get sucked in by the condition of this 06. It may be in great shape, but as you can see above, it is way overpriced.

marmstufl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the advice. I saw the 2006 yesterday, and albeit it's a very nice boat.. definitely overpriced compared to what else is on the market. The seller is a really nice guy and looks like he's testing the market (not really in a rush to sell) to see if he can get somebody to bite on paying that much to close out his loan.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can't blame him for trying and he may very well get one of those folks PT Barnum talked about, to buy it. However, you were smart and came to the highest regarded experts in the field for advice. Keep looking; there are plenty of properly priced boats on the market. I recommend buying one from this forum or the other forum. Good luck and keep us advised of your progress.

Smassey22180

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cheaper 2010s out there are pushing the 2009s into the low 20s. Not sure were you are located but we probably will sell our 09 in the spring. We moved to salt water last year and probably need something different.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my 05 in 2010 for 15,000 with 50 hrs. I know I stole it but if you wait, you will find one eventually. I almost bought a non high output sx230 before I found mine for 10,000 but it was sold the day before I made a offer.