• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Help... Warm Water In Bilge !

Durkis007

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey Guys.... Ive got an interesting leaking case here.

A bit of background. I have had a persistent small leak the last 2 years that I cant seem to track down. Mostly when we have a lot of people jumping on and off while at anchor. Ive come to the conclusion that its coming from the rub rail where the two hulls are joined together.

Note: I have also installed a second backup bilge pump with built in float switch. Attwood 1100 gph model (Awesome Little Pump) Mounted right next to the factory location. I dont trust that skimpy factory installed Rule puddle pump.

HOWEVER.... tonight I launched the boat to take her for a little joy ride, and after about 45 minutes I noticed that I forgot to put the factory bilge on. Water instantly came streaming out. It kept coming out, so I switched on the backup pump, and that came on. (for the second pump to come on, there has to be at least 2+ inches of water). Didnt think much of it at first. After another 15-20 mins I opened the engine hatch to see if any more water was there, and it was back, a decent amount, not as much as the first time. For some reason I decided to put my hand in it to see if it was warm, and it was !!

I instantly realized that it could be exhaust water, so I drove the boat to my cousins house who lives nearby on a lagoon property. We popped the clean out hatch, I held the safety cut off switch buttons down with my thumb while by cousin started one engine at a time. I 100% expected to see water squirting out one of the exhaust hoses. Nothing !!! No water leaking that I can see, in the engine compartment or in the waterbox compartment.

Sooo.. Now the question... Where else can warm water come from?

My first question is....if you have a 2nd bilge pump with a float switch, why didn't it come on and pump automatically? Seems you have it switched off by default? I'd change your process and ensure it is ON by default.

That said....how warm was the water? Is it possible that the exhaust manifolds just warmed it up?

are your pee holes working? maybe one became disconnected either inside the hull and is draining into the bilge,

I agree with Julian, how hot is the water, if you've ever been hit by water from the pee hole that is HOT,

Maybe leave the boat in the water for a few hours with the engines off to help determine if it's taking on water with the engines off,

Given the outdoor temperatures... Was the water outside the boat warm as well?

With that much running, the engines themselves may have heated the water some, too.

Try runing each engine separately on the trailer while on the hose. That would be the safest way of finding your leak.

on the trailer try one engine running at a time and have someone block the exhaust exit for a few seconds that will make the leak easy to find.
For hull leaks just put the boat in the water with the engine hatch open and watch for water leaking in the hull while it's anchored.

Last edited:
Hey Guys... Thanks for the replies...

Ive kept the boat on the water since friday night. No water leaks in while at the dock overnight. It appears to be a leak that happens while underway.

I wouldnt say the water was piping hot... But definitely warm, warmer than the bay water. After the water pumped out the first time, it returned pretty quickly and I wouldn't think it was long enough to be heated by the engines / exhaust equipment.

I 100% expected to see water squirting out one of the exhaust hoses. Nothing !!! No water leaking that I can see, in the engine compartment or in the waterbox compartment.

Seems you have isolated it down to this....so now you'll need to hunt a little harder for where it is leaking. A camcorder with infrared night option is one way to make it easier....use it with its screen to peer under the water boxes etc where it is hard to see.

I reread your original post, I know you looked under the cleanout hatch while the motor was running but did you watch the engines while they were running to see if any of the hoses were leaking in there?

Also, did you look under the seat on the starboard side? Where the pee holes go through the hull?

Back