• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Help

Frank S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi Everyone, I need some help.

I took delivery last week of a new 2017 Scarab 255 Platinum. I dock down a river and have only had a chance to have it on the lake and really drive it for just maybe 5 minutes. But I have taken it down the river with maybe 4 hours on it and no problems. I installed the Cobra Fins yesterday. The install went well. I did have one screw that was not flush but I was able to get it to sit pretty good (thanks to Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering for the fast help). I took the boat down the river and there was no problems. Today I took the boat out and made it out to the lake. When I went to give it some throttle, I had a problem. I believe I had some cavitation and some steering difficulties. The RPM's would go high but the boat did not have any speed to it. If I throttled down the engine would drive normal but I had some steering difficulties. I felt down the steering nozzles and one was moving freely and the other was not. I made it back to the dock with some difficulty but made it. I pulled it up on the hoist and found the problem. The tie rod that connects the steering nozzles had come undone. This was a total surprise because if anything I thought it would have been caused by removing the bottle bolt on the nozzle to help do the Cobra fins and the lock tite not holding. I went to the dealer and spoke with the mechanic and he talked me through the repair. Basically he said it sounds like it the tie rod just vibrated itself loose. All the parts were there and not damaged. I looked at another 255 on the lot and compared the parts. I made the repair and lock tited all the screws as suggested by the mechanic. I know the steering issued is taken care of now. And I don't believe it had anything to do with the Cobra Fins I put on. But what I really need help understanding is why the cavitation. When I had it on the lake briefly before there was no problem. Would having the steering nozzles not aligned cause this problem? Since the boat is on the hoist I did check the intake vents and there are clear. And there was no problems at low speed. Is it possible the cavitation is just related to the nozzles? Please someone help me understand this problem. I am new to jet boats.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My guess is it was a coincident that you had something in the intake of the pump that was cavitating. All it takes is a tiny bit of wood jambed in there to cause cavitation. I'd take it out and see if it is still cavitating.