• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need New House Battery-Advice?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So my 5-6 year old Autocraft Deep Cycle Marine battery is dead.....and I really don't know much about batteries other than they make Deep Cycle and Cranking batteries and Deep cycle would be best for a house battery.

So if my budget is $100-150 ...what would you buy?

This one is $129...and looks to have one of the highest capacaties at AdvanceAuto....thoughts?

I just bought two of these to replace my house batteries. It was the best $ / Ah I could find...

We went with a deep cycle Inferstate 27 battery. Absolutely is a champ! I want to replace the cranking battery with the same deep cycle. Believe it or not our engines don't need the cranking amps. She turns right over on the deep cycle.

I think our boats came with group 24 batteries Julian. But many have upgraded batteries to group 31 for more reserves basically. Any dual purpose battery works in sizes from 24, 27, 31. I haven't heard of anyone using a 29 in our boats but I assume it is middle ground between the 27 and 31. Here is a Batteries Plus add for a duracell
https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/marine-and-boat/deep-cycle/bci-group-31m
And Sams Club sells the same battery at selected stores and may be cheaper than that.

Sooooo, with all this in mind...deep cycle versus cranking batteries....it sounds like everyone on this page would run deep cycle for both house and cranking power. The reason I say this is because mine came with two cranking batteries and I'm sure I will be needing to replace them soon. Thought about just getting a cranking battery and a deep cycle but may go with two deep cycle instead??

Sooooo, with all this in mind...deep cycle versus cranking batteries....it sounds like everyone on this page would run deep cycle for both house and cranking power. The reason I say this is because mine came with two cranking batteries and I'm sure I will be needing to replace them soon. Thought about just getting a cranking battery and a deep cycle but may go with two deep cycle instead??
I would.

In a warm weather sport and with small displacement motors, I think running all deep cycle is a very good call.
If the switching scheme is as simple as a dual battery switch, and both banks or using an equal battery, you can alternate their use each weekend, reduce the number of deeper discharges per battery, and prolong the battery life. Chances are when it is time to replace one it will be time to replace both....but with getting an extra season of high performance.

This is my opinion based on my battery experience over the past...... I now stay away from the "auto store" branded batteries due to early death time and time again. Yes, you get that nice warranty that you can get 1 replacement battery but I now rely on a better built battery that might cost a few dollars more. I like Deka --- Is this distributer near you? Call first to make sure they sell retail (most do).

http://cipbattery.com/carolina-industrial-products-contact-us.html

I went with Optima Blue 27 for start and an Optima Blue 31 for house last year. Those AGM batteries won't leak and they worked FAR better than the cheapie ole batteries I got with the boat.

Interstate SRM-27. Hard to beat in all aspects, especially price.

I can get you one for about $110 I *think*, and I may even be out there this weekend.

If you are a Costco member they have the Interstate batteries.

That Duracell AGM looks like a steal at $179 I do not know much about them but price looks good for a AGM battery.

anyone know the difference between the optima blue 27 and optima blue 31 starting AS YOUR STARTING BATTERY?

Thanks,

I have a optima for my starting battery and the biggest deep cycle Walmart carries for the house. I think they are under $90 and they have a great return and replace policy.

Sam's club. I got a group 31 deep cycle AGM Duracell (made by Penn Co. in US) for $179 or something (well, plus tax and $18 core charge if you do not have an old core for exchange). And that is hard to beat. Weighs about 80lbs.
upload_2016-3-24_22-4-40.png upload_2016-3-24_22-5-0.png

EDIT: Whatever you buy, do look at the production month and year, it is a letter/single digit number sticker.

--

I'd go with an AGM in whichever size and brand you wish. I have a 27 or 31 Cabelas deep cycle AGM as my house battery and when we sit in our cove listing to the stereo all day it's charge percentage hardly drops. It's built and sold as a trolling motor battery so our stereo hardly gives a workout. I don't remember what it cost since I used a gift card.

Back