• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Captain

Rabbidcow55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Hi All!! I recently bought a 1999 Sugar Sands Tango 4+2 with the Merc 175 Sport Jet. My wife and I have taken it out several times with no problems at all. This is the first boat I have owned aside from several 2 stroke Sea Doo PWCs which have been banned here on several lakes in Utah, hence the upgrade. Overall, this boat is in extremely good shape. Gelcoat is all clean, stickers are good and seats all look fantastic, as does the front sunning pad. Anyway, I am very pleased to own her. I was curious though about the jet pump oil. I found a manual online but there is no reference on how to inspect or change it. Any thoughts? Also, I will be winterizing next weekend. Any tricks? I've done it before on my PWCs but fogging 6 carb throats seems daunting. Thanks everyone!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Rabbidcow55, congrats on the new boat. Glad you found us and decided to join.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Sugar Sand brand, but I know that there are several guys here that do or have owned them. So I'll leave the advice to them.

Again, welcome.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey There @Rabbidcow55 - Glad you found us. Make yourself @ home here .......... and we love photographs of your boat ! And friends and family too !
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconeee, GA
Welcome aboard 55 - X1.jpg

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome @Rabbidcow55 ! (Great username by the way.)

Post up some pics and put your location in your profile!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Taken from random place on the interweb:
"In front of your intake grate you will see two screws, the one in the center is your drain and fill and the one to the side is your vent. Place a drain pan under your pump and remove the drain screw then the vent screw. Allow ample time to drain if it is cold. Using a pump with a screw in fitting on the hose, screw it in to the fill hole and using Mercury High Performance Gear Lube fill until it comes out the vent hole. Replace the vent screw and tighten and then remove the pump and replace the fill screw and tighten. With the vent screw in you don't loose much lube when you remove the pump."
and....
"
If you want to change the oil in the stator you have to remove it and drain it.Then after reinstallation remove plug and fill with 19 fl. oz. of preformance gear lube.

For changing oil in the drive housing the screw nearest the corner is the vent screw.The screw nearest the middle is the fill,drain screw.Remove both screws when filling.Probably draining also.

Those are the 2 screws right in front of the grating.

It takes 27 oz. of high performance gear lube.and your boat should be as level as possible.

If you change the oil in the stator dont be surprised if it spits at you a little when you loosen the screw.A little presure is normal."

Hope that helps!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Welcome Rabbidcow , yep Speedling pretty much nailed it . High Performance Gear Lube, any Merc dealer should carry it as it's the stuff they use in sterndrives and outboards. Change it once a year and as long as it's not milky and looks fairly normal you're good to go for another season. fog the engine and treat fuel if you want[ I don't] and thats about it motor is self draining so no worries there.Utah huh? just got back from Moab last night, gorgeous country you have out there.
Bill

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@farrelltravis had a sugar sand and loved it. Maybe he will check in and give a little first hand on your oil change issue. I too don't have any good info to pass on it. But I wanted to congratulate you on the purchase and ownership, as well as say...Welcome Aboard, were glad to have you here with us!