• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New Engine leaking oil.

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To make the long story short, I took my boat out of storage yesterday and found a pool of oil on the floor of the engine compartment.

My boat: 242 LS 2012

Last year, I had one of my engine replaced and the dealer did a really poor job of it. First, they forgot to seal the exhaust and almost sank my boat. I am guessing there was a slow leak in the engine all along. I checked the oil in both engine and sure enough, the one they replaced had no oil. New engine is 10 hours old.

If I don’t have to, I do not wish to go back to this dealer. What are my options? If I took it to another dealer, how do I get reimburse?

On a side note, Yamaha revoked their boat dealership.

DSC02871.jpg

Last edited:
Call Yamaha!

Oh crap.. what 007 said.

Call yamaha and if your plugs are still in or not, clear out your floor locker. The oil will eventually find its way to the bilge if it hasn't already and if the drain plug in the floor storage compartment is open the oily slush will coat everything in that compartment. Unfortunately I know this from experience, both of my oil coolers were leaking and eventually replaced under warranty. Try to get yamaha to pick up the cleanup costs as well. Your neighbors and / or other boaters are not likely to be very accepting of you allowing the oily bilge water to run down the gutter or directly into the water you and they boat in.

Yeah.....definitely call Yamaha (their #s are in the reference post). Do not go back to that dealer, especially if they are no longer an authorized dealer! Are they still an authorized repair location? Even if they are, I wouldn't go back!

I'd ask mother Yamaha what they recommend. And I'd escalate this to a manager right away vs talking to a front line support person, as this is a BIG issue that IMHO they should be going above and beyond to correct!

@Norboo To be clear, are you saying the replaced engine has the oil under it, and it has no oil in it? Is there enough oil in the boat that it is clear it ALL leaked out? Is there a puddle of oil under the boat too? You'll want the bilge cleaned as part of the repair!

Yeah.....definitely call Yamaha (their #s are in the reference post). Do not go back to that dealer, especially if they are no longer an authorized dealer! Are they still an authorized repair location? Even if they are, I wouldn't go back!

I'd ask mother Yamaha what they recommend. And I'd escalate this to a manager right away vs talking to a front line support person, as this is a BIG issue that IMHO they should be going above and beyond to correct!

@Norboo To be clear, are you saying the replaced engine has the oil under it, and it has no oil in it? Is there enough oil in the boat that it is clear it ALL leaked out? Is there a puddle of oil under the boat too? You'll want the bilge cleaned as part of the repair!

My engine compartment has a collecting area for the oil it seems. It is isolated and contained. Will not leak down to the bilge pump. No oil under the boat.

Yes, replaced engine has no oil in it and it looks like it all leaked out.

Far as I know, dealer still can repair. They also sell motorcycles and PWC.

I have to say, I am not looking forward to talking with Yamaha!

For what it is worth: Be direct, be calm and factual in your approach. Like Julian said..move it up to a manager immediately. Today: list the series of events a timeline that has gotten you to this point. Dates and people you have dealt with. Take plenty a pictures to help the manager understand severity. Inform them of your issue with the dealer repairs prior.they should be able to recommend another trusted dealer close( relatively of course). Be sure to have a note pad and pen at the ready. You will want to write down names. Remember you are the customer. If this person is unsatisfactory.. thank them and request their superior name and number. Don't be afraid to move it up. I'm sure you will get it satisfied, we managers hate unsatisfied customers. On another note. Last resort..If you financed with Yamaha. You have the power of..non payment and
"Come get it". If it comes to that..then there are the lawyers.
Good luck.

Sorry to hear your plight @Norboo. I'm wondering...Did you have this engine replaced under the YES warranty? Was it a complete new engine or new parts put on the origional block? If this was done under the YES warranty they owe you a replacement. The fact that they pulled that facility's dealership hints, to me, that they had many complaints. You should check the BBB website to see if that is the case. If there were a lot of complaints going back years that would mean Yamaha was most likely aware that they had a sub standard dealer which makes them culpable also.

I was told, last year, by a Yamaha dealer and marina operator in Maine that Yamaha is taking boat dealerships away from dealers that are not exclusive boat dealers. They are finding that their motorcycle dealers are not doing a great job on the Yamaha water products and are usually not in close proximity to water for testing a repair. I hope Yamaha steps in and does the right thing Norboo. There should be no question if you have the warranty but if not your only recourse may be in the courts.

@Norboo I agree with the many. You have had so many issues with this engine, Yamaha has to have information or full record on it. I am cloudy on the history of what Yamaha agreed to pay or not pay regarding the engine in question, and I know you have been through the mill with it and them, so don't feel you have to repeat it all again. But if you have contacts you made during that process, get hold of the same folks and if they are not manager level at corporate Yamaha, get on up that ladder ASAP. If they are providing any coverage on the new motor, then they should want to make sure it is done correctly. I wouldn't clean it up yet since it is isolated. I would be suspicious of the oil filter but that may not be the reason. The question I have, is the timeline from when it was running good during that 10 hour period, and the point where you found the oil in it. Was it run low on oil? Did you ever have any warning lights? If it just drained out during storage, it indeed could just be a shrunken seal on a poorly installed oil filter. And since it is contained in the middle section of the compartment, that would not include the oil cooler issues. This could be a non issue other than shoddy setup by whoever put the engine into service, but it could be a big issue too. So a call to Yamaha regardless and having them in on the discover is important...let us know what transpires...

I would not accept a repair, I would want a totally new engine. You don't know what else may have been damaged as the oil drained out and may or may not have been in the engine during those 10 hours.....

My engine compartment has a collecting area for the oil it seems. It is isolated and contained. Will not leak down to the bilge pump. No oil under the boat.

Yes, replaced engine has no oil in it and it looks like it all leaked out.

Far as I know, dealer still can repair. They also sell motorcycles and PWC.

I have to say, I am not looking forward to talking with Yamaha!
I think if you look closer you will find that there is a hole on both sides of what you are calling a containment area. That oil is getting to the bilge. I would want that cleaned up also. Sorry you have to deal with this problem. It sux.

@Norboo I agree with the many. You have had so many issues with this engine, Yamaha has to have information or full record on it. I am cloudy on the history of what Yamaha agreed to pay or not pay regarding the engine in question, and I know you have been through the mill with it and them, so don't feel you have to repeat it all again. But if you have contacts you made during that process, get hold of the same folks and if they are not manager level at corporate Yamaha, get on up that ladder ASAP. If they are providing any coverage on the new motor, then they should want to make sure it is done correctly. I wouldn't clean it up yet since it is isolated. I would be suspicious of the oil filter but that may not be the reason. The question I have, is the timeline from when it was running good during that 10 hour period, and the point where you found the oil in it. Was it run low on oil? Did you ever have any warning lights? If it just drained out during storage, it indeed could just be a shrunken seal on a poorly installed oil filter. And since it is contained in the middle section of the compartment, that would not include the oil cooler issues. This could be a non issue other than shoddy setup by whoever put the engine into service, but it could be a big issue too. So a call to Yamaha regardless and having them in on the discover is important...let us know what transpires...

Hello Mel

Checking engine compartment is on my "check list". I always check it. Oil level was fine. I double checked everything before I stored the boat away, did all my winterizing but did not fog the engine.

10 hours I ran the boat, I had no issues with the engine and no warning lights. Leak was from the long winter storage.

I spoken to 5 star/diamond (I am not sure how they are rated) dealer that is 1.5 hours away, they said to bring the boat in so they can isolate the problem.

What was the reason that you needed to replace the engine back in 2012 and was that a warranty repair/fix? If so, I would think the work should be warranted unless and backed up by Yamaha.

Spoke to Coleman Power Sport and they will stand behind the work even if I took it to dealer of my choice. I will be taking my boat down to Lake Country Marina about hour and a half away this weekend. From what I have heard, they are the choice dealer around the area for Yamaha boats.

Spoke to Coleman Power Sport and they will stand behind the work even if I took it to dealer of my choice. I will be taking my boat down to Lake Country Marina about hour and a half away this weekend. From what I have heard, they are the choice dealer around the area for Yamaha boats.
That's great news @Norboo. It's nice to see that Coleman Power Sport took responsibility. I'll be standing by to see what Lake Country Marina finds as the root cause of this latest issue. I'm hoping it is just that it wasn't torqued properly so you'll get it back soon.

Back