• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

NEW LAWS 2015 Illinois. NEW LAW, when towing, boat needs orange flag

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
  • Illinois Senate Bill 2731 New Skier Tow Rules: The Bill mandates that the operator of any watercraft that is towing a person, such as a water skier or tuber, must display a bright orange flag measuring not less than 12 inches per side. The flag must be displayed from the time the person to be towed leaves the boat until that person returns to the boat at the conclusion of the activity.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=098-0697

E. The operator of any watercraft that is towing a person
or persons shall display on the watercraft a bright or
brilliant orange flag measuring not less than 12 inches per
side. The flag shall be displayed at the highest point of the
area surrounding the boat's helm as to be visible from all
directions, continuously, while the person or persons being
towed depart the boat in preparation for towing and until
reentry into the boat when the activity has ceased. Display of
the flag for purposes other than the activity described in this
Section is prohibited.

I was born in Illinois, so glad I'm not in Illinois. Chicago ruins the State.

Makes it much easier then Missouri law. Skier down flag. I would rather leave the flag up the whole time.

In California their is another requirement that a spotter in addition to the boat operator be onboard when towing a person behind the boat. I don't know if we have a flag requirement so much as a signaling device as I've seen people use life vests in front of water patrols and not get hassled or ticketed.

Ohio has always had the spotter law, but there was legislation last year to not require it if you have a mirror. It never made it out of the house or to a vote that I know of.

WOW! Just did some research for our trip to Lake Norman in July and read this.....

3. The vessel towing the skier shall be equipped with a rear vision mirror or carry an observer (not the boat operator) or the person being towed is wearing a PFD

Don't need a mirror or observer if you have a PFD on

In California their is another requirement that a spotter in addition to the boat operator be onboard when towing a person behind the boat. I don't know if we have a flag requirement so much as a signaling device as I've seen people use life vests in front of water patrols and not get hassled or ticketed.
That's how it is in Illinois. That has always been in place. Now they added the flag rule.

Attn. MN Legislators...

Please (pretty please!) focus on the other things going on in our state and ignore what IL (and other states around us) have done in regards to this topic.

Thank you.

Gee in Florida we don't have any flag requirements like that, Here we simply fire a warning shot across the bow of any fool who comes too close to us when we are towing someone. WORKS FOR US!

3. The vessel towing the skier shall be equipped with a rear vision mirror or carry an observer (not the boat operator) or the person being towed is wearing a PFD
WOW, I can't imagine towing a person without a PFD. I have very few rules on my boat, but that one is absolutely, positively non-negotiable.

Last edited:
The rule on my boat is under 16 pfd at all times, 16+ pfd when the engines are running. When at anchor I allow the 16&17 year olds to take off their jackets if they stay on board. The 17 and under crowd must swim with the pfd on. 18+ you have the option. The lake I like to go to is (currently) 180' deep where we play, I am NOT going in after you.

Back