• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Owner

Par190sx

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
picking up my sx190 Thursday. Any advice for a 1st time jet owner would be helpful. Taking boat out for the 1st time sat. It's 2015 (if that matters. Wondering how loud t it will be?

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try to go out without a big group and while in the middle of the lake practice your low-speed maneuvering. Congrats on the new boat!

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Practice slow speed steering ... and higher speed steering. Follow break-in instructions from the dealer. I agree with @SCSTWG about going with a small group and practicing. You may want to consider Thrust Vectors from @JetBoatPilot to aid in slow speed steering (they have a video online showing you the difference - I noticed it right away when I installed mine).

Check out the FAQ thread here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/faq-reference-thread-for-forum-content-check-here-for-your-answer-first.81/

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats @Par190sx on the new boat. One bit of advice around the docks, "never approach an object at a speed greater that you're willing to hit it at". There's a learning curve with jet boats so go slow and practice. ;)

Par190sx

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info everyone. Will heed all advice. Thanks again

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Par190sx Welcome. :Welcome:All Jet boat manufacturers strive to make their boat quieter. I think you will be pleasantly surprised... Also, there are some forums within Jetboaters.net that have videos of tips for handling jet boats. Take time to look them over and as @itsdgm said, take it slow and practice...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome, @Par190sx ! Best advice I have for you is to remain active with this board! A wealth of information here, good folks and good fun. It is too much to keep up with at all times, but if you at least come by and add a post when you can, you will find that you can learn a great deal from the folks here. Hope yesterday's outing was a good one.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
When me, Will and my family went for my test drive, Will was pretty adamant that I do everything. I've been around inboards and stern drives all my life, but anytime you read about jet boats someone writes a horror story.

I backed off the trailer, picked up everyone at the dock, drove through a 3/4 mile wake zone, went out in the bay, took high and low speed sweepers, topped her out, went back to the dock and dropped everyone and put her on the trailer...first try. I'm not sure how much were the Thrust Vectors, but it went much better than expected. To be honest, a couple of Dolphins came to play while going out through the wake zone and during that time I realized just how relaxed the handling was as I had time too look at and enjoy them with my family.

My advice? These boats are just big jet skis so they are great at speed, but are going to be much less so going slow. Buy and install the Thrust Vectors even if the handling seems ok. They are a very small price to pay for the kind of confidence they give.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Par190sx A belated Welcome and How did it go?

I hope all is well and you and the family are enjoying your new Yammie! :cool: