• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New router problems

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2600 sq ft ranch and an acre of land. I have wifi in the house, and in the immediate outside.
I replaced the modem and when our business moved shops, I "inherited" the old equipment.
Modem: https://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/cable-modems/sb6141/
Router:https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wnr2000v3.aspx
Extender: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN2000RPT/WN2000RPT_UM_8Dec10.pdf
Very basic stuff.
So if you have modem issues, certainly upgrade!
However, sometimes you need to research which models the company "likes". I called up Comcast and they gave me a little run around since they want you to rent their equipment, BUT, there ARE a lot of models they won't support, so be sure they have the correct Docsis or whatever. I just knew that my arris modem was on a list, and had good reviews.
OR, make it the companies problem to get it right! You ARE paying them, RIGHT? They should compensate you for the issues!

Modem:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016PE1X5K/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Router:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XEW3YD6/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After the shunt was removed from the green box in the backyard by WOW cable...

Speed problems= NONE

58FCC763-6223-462F-90D9-123C779C07F4.png

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hey, which not to hijack...
I was reading up on that eeros router.
I would love to have more wifi in my yard. I have an acre that is half trees and we do a lot of raking and stick cleanup and burn it all so i am outside a lot. Would love to stream more. I wonder what the range would be if i put them on outside walls but inside thehouse.
With phone reception i swear i have lead paint or something in my old house. I d know i have the old tin backed insulation. Don't fret, i am slowly redoing the whole house.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2600 sq ft ranch and an acre of land. I have wifi in the house, and in the immediate outside.
I replaced the modem and when our business moved shops, I "inherited" the old equipment.
Modem: https://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/cable-modems/sb6141/
Router:https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wnr2000v3.aspx
Extender: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN2000RPT/WN2000RPT_UM_8Dec10.pdf
Very basic stuff.
So if you have modem issues, certainly upgrade!
However, sometimes you need to research which models the company "likes". I called up Comcast and they gave me a little run around since they want you to rent their equipment, BUT, there ARE a lot of models they won't support, so be sure they have the correct Docsis or whatever. I just knew that my arris modem was on a list, and had good reviews.
OR, make it the companies problem to get it right! You ARE paying them, RIGHT? They should compensate you for the issues!
Before I bought the wifi router I checked compatibility on Charter Spectrum's website.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey, which not to hijack...

I was reading up on that eeros router.
I would love to have more wifi in my yard. I have an acre that is half trees and we do a lot of raking and stick cleanup and burn it all so i am outside a lot. Would love to stream more. I wonder what the range would be if i put them on outside walls but inside thehouse.
With phone reception i swear i have lead paint or something in my old house. I d know i have the old tin backed insulation. Don't fret, i am slowly redoing the whole house.
Go with a mesh system (probably any brand will do it, but I'm using Google Wifi - which is mesh based). You can add more access points to your hearts content. The base package comes with 3. I can get my wifi from my neighbors house 2 doors down (1 acre lots)....its weak but connects! If you put a mesh access point on the back of the house you'd extend your range a lot...but they aren't made for external use. I thought about adding one to my shed (it has power) to reach into the back yard more...but haven't at this point. Bottom line....if you want seemless excellent coverage all over your house, you want to invest in a mesh solution (and ideally hardwire as many of them as you can...that gets you the ULTIMATE results - but isn't strictly required. 2 of my 3 access points are hard wired.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I echo tge folks who said b
Go with a mesh system (probably any brand will do it, but I'm using Google Wifi - which is mesh based). You can add more access points to your hearts content. The base package comes with 3. I can get my wifi from my neighbors house 2 doors down (1 acre lots)....its weak but connects! If you put a mesh access point on the back of the house you'd extend your range a lot...but they aren't made for external use. I thought about adding one to my shed (it has power) to reach into the back yard more...but haven't at this point. Bottom line....if you want seemless excellent coverage all over your house, you want to invest in a mesh solution (and ideally hardwire as many of them as you can...that gets you the ULTIMATE results - but isn't strictly required. 2 of my 3 access points are hard wired.
Netgear now offer mesh devices that work with their some of thier standalone routers to upgrade to a mesh network. Not sure on performance but may save folks money ovee buying a net new mesh system.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Charter tech was here. Basically in a nut shell, he has no idea what is wrong. After chatting the guy up a little I uncovered that they are having massive issues with these new modems. There are 2 brands. He swapped out one brand modem for the other. Also put me on a watch list that monitors internet connectivity ever 2 minutes for 7 days. I asked what do I do if it happens again, and he said there really isn't anything you can do. They are going through a "teething" process right now with the new equipment. Last resort he said would be to ask for the 3.0 modem. What they are rolling out now is the 3.1. He said he would have given me a 3.0 if he had any in the van, but they have not issued him any this week.

I'm a fairly patient man, but this is really F'd up in my opinion. If I had another choice I would bail on this internet provider.

DeadlyFrog

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A mesh network is only good as the connection strength of the next mesh connection. Another words if you connect to a weak signal, as @Julian mention, then that will be a very slow bottle neck in your network back to the main router.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BigN8 how's the connection going, any better?, my neighbor is going to install his this weekend (he's an IT guy) and I'm waiting to see how his works,

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since they swapped the modem to some other modem I've had no problems. That's been a few weeks now.