• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Scarab Member - 2018 195 HO Platinum

SCARAB_CDR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello to all the Scarab owners. I've been watching this forum ever since I purchased my Scarab in September of 2017, and thought it was time to jump in and introduce myself. Our boat is a black and white 2018 195 HO Platinum with the galvanized Gatorhyde trailer. Interestingly, on the Scarab website, the hull color combination/platinum model isn't available for 2018 so I think I've got a kind of a model year cross-over. We love the color and performance of the boat - this thing is a rocket! This is my 3rd boat (1998 Mariah Talari 179, 1995 Maxum 3200), not to mention 20+ years of experience driving warships, and the slow-speed handling took some getting used to, but now I think docking may be easier than it was with my big twin engine boat. Here's the mandatory pictures:
IMG_1935.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg
I have a need to personalize things, and maybe a touch of OCD, so here's the storage mods I've made so far. Some 3M Command hooks for holding lines, and some Gorilla double-sided tape to hold the fire extinguisher all in the starboard side console. It's been 6 months and it all seems pretty secure.
IMG_1937.jpg IMG_1938.jpg
Next I'll add a couple more hooks to hold the First Aid kit and the emergency flare kit. I'm also looking for a way to add a US flag that won't interfere with the towing connection on the tower and also doesn't involve drilling any holes. Any ideas from the group?

Watching this forum I can't help but notice the problems other folks have had, and frankly if I'd read all of this prior to my purchase, I probably would have looked a whole lot closer at the Chaparral or Yamahas. So far our boat's run like a champ, but it hasn't been the completely trouble free experience I expected of an almost $50k purchase.

We purchased our boat in Lake Havasu, and on the trip home to San Diego after spending the weekend on the water I noticed one of the taillights had a broken ground wire. While fixing that, I found that some of the Gatorhyde had not properly adhered to the trailer. The closest dealer to San Diego was Bert's Mega Mall in Covina, so I took it there and had the coating fixed. I also had trouble accessing the neutral adjustment menu, and service techs at Bert's fixed that too by reloading the program. This was all fixed under warranty, but they did comment that they had a hard time getting word from Scarab. Since then it looks like they no longer carry Scarab. Too bad.

I've also noticed the stitching on my travel cover coming apart and contacted Scarab through their website, and got a quick reply from Mike at Scarab, asking for pictures. I sent them and am waiting for his response. Finally, and maybe most concerning, I've noticed that water doesn't seem to drain from my ski locker. At most California, and I think a lot of southwestern lakes, there's an inspection to prevent spread of Quagga or Zebra mussels. If there's any water anywhere in your boat, they don't let you launch and ban you for 7 days. I operate mostly in the saltwater of San Diego bay, but I'd like the opportunity to play in the freshwater. I asked Scarab about this too, and Mike at Scarab said I could "use any local reputable dealer to make the repair and we can reimburse you with a check request. We will need a written estimate. More than likely the hole is not cut to the proper circumference." I'm gonna get a borescope and get a better look first, then see if I can find someone to fix it.

We did suck up a rope on our first outing (stupid!), but it didn't enter the impeller. It got pinched between the shaft sleeve and the impeller nosepiece. After a very slow tow back to the marina and an hour under the boat with a hacksaw blade, long nose pliers, and a long wire bent into a hook I got all the rope out. There wasn't any visible damage to the impeller or nosepiece, so I think we dodged a bullet. Sure wish there was a cleanout port like on the Yamahas.

Lastly, while we do LOVE this boat, the purchase experience was far less than enjoyable. As mentioned, our closest dealer was Bert's in Covina, about 100 miles from where I live. We started emailing and then phone calls about purchasing our boat, but the salesman didn't seem too anxious to sell us a boat. After telling him exactly what we wanted, we couldn't seem to get a price, and the process dragged on and on. I emailed Scarab through their website and the regional rep emailed me with some alternate dealers, all much farther away. We chose to go with JR Motors in Lake Havasu. After talking to the salesman there about what I was looking for, I quickly got paperwork for what I thought was a good deal on the boat I wanted. I told him to order it and sent a deposit. Then they started telling me that the 2018 pricing was different and the price started climbing. I contacted another dealer, and the regional rep again, and after a bit of back-and-forth with JR they agreed to honor their original deal. Turned out that the other dealer that was a little farther away would have beat JR's price by over $1k, but JR had my deposit so I was kinda stuck. Lesson learned - shop around dumbass. We drove out Labor Day weekend excited to pick up our new boat but feeling that the dealer had tried a bit of bait-and-switch on us. The salesman did a short on-water demo with us but had to go meet other customers. Wish we had a longer orientation to show me more of the features of the boat, or maybe the warning about which hoses to clamp when towing, or how to properly flush the exhaust. Fortunately after sucking up a rope, the tow boat didn't get over 5mph, and I read the manual prior to flushing. I do NOT recommend this dealer for those looking for a Scarab - especially if it is your first jet.

So bottom line after this long post - I'm happy to be a Scarab owner, and we love our boat. We'll keep an eye on those hose clamps and that carbon seal, and be super cautious around the tow ropes.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Congrats! I had a 195HOI and absolutely loved it! If you noticed I said "had." I loved a boat I didn't trust, it spent more time in the repair shop than on the water. I was a Ginny Pig with the first run of Scarabs in 2014. Find a savvy Rotax (BRP) tech who will take care of your needs and you shouldn't have any problems...

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
IMG_3873.jpg IMG_3874.jpg Commander,
Welcome to the Scarab community. Sorry to hear about the issues you speak of but you are not alone. Many have experienced the same or even worse. I love my 215 HOI Wake but I had some early growing pains also with the boat.
As for the ski locker in the back if it's anything like mine or in the 255 I have not heard of any that actually drain statically. Some drain while underway but most will not drain at all unless you get it started by shooting high pressure water into the drain with a hose first. (I personally think the system is a design flaw.)
I took it in for warranty to address this but when I went to check it after my next boating event the "repair" did not work and the wet ski locker was full of water. My suggestion would be to bring a couple gallons or water with you when you pick up the boat after it is addressed by your dealer and system check that drain in front of the tech. Chances are, it will not drain then either.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Walt

DogDad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just went test driving the 195... your boat looks identical to a 2017 rather than the 2018. I had fully intended on getting a Yamaha until I actually drove one and discovered they are turds! The Scarab was 10x easier to change direction with and required significantly less throttle. I left the demo a little bummed and excited that I didn't buy the Yamaha before trying other options! Now I just need to get the dealer to sharpen his pencil. 2017 Platinum 195 is listed at 37k with all the usual free items but that doesn't seem like a great deal for a new yet nearly 2 year old boat.

SCARAB_CDR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree that mine looks like a 2017, I had to check the title to be sure. It came straight from the factory in September, and I've got pics of it on the truck. It was right at the model year change over, so it's got the 2017 colors, but a 2018 title.