• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Speakers

dexx00420

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've searched on this forum but haven't found any similar comments in regards to my situation. I purchased some MB Quart 6.5's to replace my stock speakers in my AR190. Went to install them today and although everything matches up, the speakers still do not fit; seems like the back side of the speaker is too wide.

Is this the problem I'll have to deal with on any replacement speaker or am I just lucky with these particular ones? I'm not prepared to go nuts with a dremel and would just prefer to swap one speaker for another with no adjustments needed.

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've searched on this forum but haven't found any similar comments in regards to my situation. I purchased some MB Quart 6.5's to replace my stock speakers in my AR190. Went to install them today and although everything matches up, the speakers still do not fit; seems like the back side of the speaker is too wide.

Is this the problem I'll have to deal with on any replacement speaker or am I just lucky with these particular ones? I'm not prepared to go nuts with a dremel and would just prefer to swap one speaker for another with no adjustments needed.

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
@dexx00420 All I know is Polk DB651 are a drop-in replacement, they were an easy fit in my 190, so if your new MB Quart's are not MUCH bigger - it should not be an issue.
Here are Polk dimensions:
upload_2016-3-26_23-41-12.pngupload_2016-3-26_23-41-33.pngupload_2016-3-26_23-41-52.png

dexx00420

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Swatski! Maybe I'll just send mine back and get the Polks.

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My JL MX650s fit right in the same hole.

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i just purchased a '14 SX190! Pretty pumped up! @swatski... were the Polk's a huge improvement over your stock speakers? (without amp) I am a huge Polk fan, in fact they are in my basement as well as my truck. I am curious if they are big improvement over stock without adding more power. Thanks
@dexx00420, did you install the MB's or swap them for the Polks?

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jwiley - I assume your boat came stock with those cheap ass Seaworthy speakers. If so, any speaker you put in there will be an improvement. The Polks will be a considerable upgrade. Putting a amp to them would make for a HUGE improvement.

dexx00420

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
[USER=2499 said:
@dexx00420, did you install the MB's or swap them for the Polks?
I ended up sending the MB's back and have the Polks in the mail; with the reputation the Polks have plus not having to make the cutout any bigger was an easy decision. Probably going to add an amp in a couple months but I think just getting rid of the stock speakers will be nice.

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@octavio3311 you would be correct. When i added the DB series in my truck they didn't sound good until i put power to them. I was curious if they would sound better than the factory without adding additional power.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jwiley - I assume your boat came stock with those cheap ass Seaworthy speakers. If so, any speaker you put in there will be an improvement. The Polks will be a considerable upgrade. Putting a amp to them would make for a HUGE improvement.
This is EXACTLY how I would describe it, too.

In my case, I decided to leave the stock HU, which in my boat is the infamous JBL M145.2. That thing would drive me crazy - cutting out and randomly interrupting, exactly how others described it. Should have chucked it, but I'm kind of stubborn and decided to try to fix it first... Well, it turned out to be the main plug issue - had some contacts wiggle loose. I could not fix it, so I ended up cutting it off and nicely soldering and heat shrinking all line outputs to speaker lines - problem solved.

It was a relief. So then I cut them again and remounted everything with a new amp I added. I still have that stereo HU. It is actually fine with the amps.

Racerx805

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got the Polk DB651 but had to drill new mounting holes as the stock speaker mounts were a different diameter.

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an Alpine deck that I want to use to replace the crap stock unit, any issues with using a regular car stereo vs. a marine unit? The deck use to be in my Tundra that I traded in for a new one so I want to reuse it. Since its in the glovebox I think it should stay dry. Wondering how amazing it will sound with these Polk speakers.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@octavio3311 you would be correct. When i added the DB series in my truck they didn't sound good until i put power to them. I was curious if they would sound better than the factory without adding additional power.
Honestly they may sound a little cleaner at higher volumes then your stock speakers but with no additional power the overal volume will likely be about exactly the same. Unless your stock speakers are blown you probably won't notice to much difference with out adding an amp.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Polks over the Seaworthy speakers are like night and day! Try replacing just one side and fade back and forth between them! When I did this, I made my wife come out and listen. This began with the usual .... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: from her (Fine...I'm come listen to your stereo....)

For once, when I faded back and forth she was like :winkingthumbsup":):):) and said..."Wow...thats a major difference".

So if your wife is like mine....do that. Otherwise, when you swap them out and play them, they won't tell the difference, but the side by side demo sells them totally!

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Alpine deck I had in my truck made a world of difference even with stock Toyota speakers, so I am sure it will sound awesome even without an amp.