• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Jetboaters.net, Hello!

Todd55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Everyone! I have been researching jet boats for a little bit now and came across this fountain of knowledge. I just wanted to make a little post to intro myself and give you all an idea of where I am coming from!

I love the idea of a jet boat! So many advantages over a prop boat. I owned a yamaha GT760 jetski years ago and had plenty of good times on it and eventually sold it to buy a motorcycle. I've been on boats plenty as many of my friends have had boats through the years and we spent plenty of time on the intercoastal in Brevard County FL.

My wife and I have been wanting a boat for a couple years now but here recently decided that our kids are old enough to enjoy it with us. We are getting more serious about a purchase.

I originally fell in love with the Scarab, but quickly decided that could not afford one. Then I started checking out the Yamaha's. I like the Yamaha boats and have read good advice on this forum to buy used and get a little more for my money.

I do have some reservations though. the only jet boat I have ever driven or been on besides my jetski is a 94 SeaRaider. It was small and really steered squirrely and overall did not give me a great impression. But can't help but feel that jet boats have come a long way since 1994.

I have kind of narrowed it down to a Yamaha SX210. this will be for family outings in the intercoastal with my wife and I and our 3 children oldest being 7.

I would also like to be able to perform the crossing to Bimini at some point.

So HELLO and what are your thoughts. Something like the SX210 suitable for what I want to do with it? Not sure if I want to go over 21ft. because the vehicle we will be towing it with is a 2011 2wd honda pilot.

Anyways, i am interested in any thoughts or suggestions you all might have for me.

Thank you in advance,
Todd

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome to our corner of the internet! Glad you found us!

You will find that the Yamahas are quite different from the older style jet boats, but they do still have slow speed steering challenges compared to a boat with a skeg. That said, it is not hard to learn, and some fins of some kind make it even easier.

As for the choice of an SX210....I would add any of the 230s to your choice as a 210 weighs 2800lbs while the 230 weighs 3100lbs. If you think the 300 pounds put you over your limit...then consider you are pretty close either way.

Also, consider a boat with a tower if you have kids. At some point you will have them tubing, then skiing, boarding etc and a tower will be much more useable. I wish I'd bought mine with a tower as I'm having a challenge convincing my wife to spend $2k to add a tower....

And don't be shy about asking questions...we love them!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, update your profile with your location, you may have a member nearby that might give you test ride,

Todd55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the input Julian, I started looking at the 23o's. Obviously i have to go a couple years older than i would if I went with the 210 to stay in my price range. The 230's are nice. Does anyone know if there are any known problems with 06-08 model 230's? from what I understand there aren't many problems with these boats anyways.

Scottintexas, Thanks for the suggestion I updated my profile to reflect my location of Titusville, FL.

thanks again guys!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Does anyone know if there are any known problems with 06-08 model 230's? from what I understand there aren't many problems with these boats anyways.
There are two style of 230 models.....look in the FAQ for the link to the differences in the models. In short they are as follows:
  • 03-06 Models began with 140HP twins, and then in '05 began selling HO engines at 160HP.
  • 07-09 Models only had the 160HP engines and redesigned the hull with higher freeboard and a slightly different physical layout.
The reliability of all of these is, for all intents and purposes, the same. The only difference in the drive train was the HO engine adjustment.

(added a link to the differences thread)

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:Welcome:@Todd55 !

I have an '08 SX-230 that I bought as a leftover in Aug, 2009. It has been bullet proof. Very happy with it.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone know if there are any known problems with 06-08 model 230's?

I have had my 2008 SX230 for 3 years now and have not had any problems...so far. Now, the boat only had 60 hours on it when I purchased so I still consider it new!! I have found it fairly easy to get used to driving it since the first boat I had was a prop. It handles the rough water well, and is fairly easy on gas.

And WELCOME Aboard!!