• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to me 2008 Yamaha AR230

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good morning,
I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. My name is Mason and I just purchased a 2008 Yamaha AR230. I have done a lot of reading and ordered a few things to hopefully extend the life of this boat (Diagnostics, Oil extractor, flush hose, etc). I am very much interested in a operators manual and/or a service manual for this boat if anyone is able to share. My email is masonsnyder@verizon.net. I just want to learn as much as I can so that I can make some intelligent decisions going forward. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge that I have already gained browsing this forum.

Thanks!
Mason

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum! The operators manual is on Yamaha's website. You have to create an account and they give you access. The Service manual is around as well, but that is sold by Yamaha (you can probably get a cheap one on ebay - or see who replies).

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Welcome @Funtacular and Congratulations on your new boat. You will find the most awesome group here on this forum always willing to help whenever we can.
9460CE65-28C5-4AE0-93C7-30EB6B736A17.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome, I have a very similar boat (The SX230) The forum is an excellent resource, be sure to use it if you have any questions!

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you all for the very warm welcome. It is calming my nerves a bit to see such a strong community around to discuss things with. I will check out the yamaha site for operators manual. I am just over 24 hours into this purchase and terrified that I didn't check "all the things" that I am seeing on here before handing over the cash. Buyers remorse be damned!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Check out @Scottintexas list of potential issues. However, I would say it is unlikely you will experience any problems if the boat was reasonably maintained. They are very reliable.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The link In my signature line

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Horn does not work and I tried to follow your link Scott but it says it is no good. Not a big deal on that one...Can probably troubleshoot it. I cannot wait to get this thing cleaned up and out on the water. Thanks again to everyone for your help!

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome! The Original horn is not great, and prone to water damage. The area is accessible from the storage below the front cushion. You can replace with a similar mounted horn, or rig something from inside the boat. It's a reach, but I was not happy with the surface mounted horn.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! Don't sweat the small suff, lots of folks here to help you get through any issues should they arise...get out there and enjoy!

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks gents. Will look into a good horn replacement.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and congratulations!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is a terrible horn in my opinion..lasted about a week.
Amazon.com : Aqua Signal Dual Tone Electronic Hidden Horn (White) : Boat Horns : Sports & Outdoors

This was a little painful to mount, and if you mount it with the horn facing down and it ingests some water, it will get damaged quickly, but if you install with the horn pointing down, it seems to last..and at least it's loud.
Amazon.com: Stebel 11690019 - Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn Black: Automotive

I bet others have a good horn recommendation too.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I took a deeper dive inspection of the cleanouts area, etc. One cleanout does not have a release push-button and neither are coming out. Here are some pics after I drained the water out of them. Tried setting up a little jack/rope system to pull one out but cannot get them to budge. I sprayed a bunch of seafoam down in there hoping they break loose. I am really concerned about the condition of this area. Both batteries are charging now and I cannot wait to get the YDS running to find out what the engines have to say!

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
put some ice/water in the hole and let it sit, then use the jack, I was able to free one of mine that way,

does it look like they could have used any adhesive in there? every once in awhile someone will "glue" their plugs in,

You could unscrew the tops and dissemble the plug,

If yours are just "stuck" maybe try a little vibration with impact wrench from the bottom while applying pulling pressure to break it free,
or pull your cleanout hatch off to give you more room to work around the bottom of the tubes to maybe tap with a hammer,

You need to watch Cobra Jeff's video in our FAQ about how the locks / dogs work and make sure yours have released,

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Scott. I appreciate it. I will try the ice/water trick this weekend. Started downpouring while I was working away on it today LOL

It does almost look like they might have put some silicon or glue around the sides...Either that or there is a rubber gasket or seal that is squeezing out around the sides. I will check out Cobra's vids.

Thanks again!

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I got time to get the batteries back into the boat and get my laptop hooked up for a little YDS love. Hours seems really low...any way to tell if the ECU's were swapped? At any rate, curious your thoughts on the hour meters and the diagnostic codes?

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's not that unusual to see low hours on these. Many use them little. Looks great!!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The oil low code is common if you underfill the oil. No overheat codes either.