• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

new to me 2018 SX240... loves, hates and a question or 2

JetBoatingUpstateNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what's up JetBoaters.net! long time lurker, first time poster. Just took ownership of my 2018 Yamaha SX240. Private sale, upstate NY. I upgraded from a 2015 Bayliner 175... all i can say is WOW what an upgrade!

Loves: this boat looks SHARP in my slip. What a great, thoughtful layout on this boat. Handling is comparable to my old I/O. More storage than I know what to do with. I also love the basic color scheme of the hull, i'm not big on decals and prefer a clean look.

Hates: i know, i don't want to hate on anything because i truly love this boat. But do you really own a boat if you don't have several complaints about it.

1. putting the throttle levers in neutral DOESN'T deactivate no-wake mode and put the boat in neutral? are you kidding me?? why?? does anyone else think this is crazy?
2. i find the dashboard screen to be a little clunky... like why can't i turn the music down until i push the radio button.
3. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP when you turn the boat on.
4. not specific to my boat, but it took Yamaha Financial 60 days to send the lien releases. SIXTY days. 2 months. This is lawsuit-worthy.

Questions:

1. Previous owner did the 10 hour oil change Fall 2018. That's the last time the oil was changed. I'm at 60 hours. My plan is to change the oil and filters this weekend, then do it again Fall 2021 at the end of the season. Any issues with this?

2. My boat has ablative bottom paint. I have no idea what to do to maintain this. Light powerwash at the end of the season? Can i do it on the trailer or do i have to pull the boat off the bunks?

Appreciate all the help this forum has provided.

20200616_153930.jpg20200616_173628.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hate #1

Learn to use that. Leave no wake mode at #1 or #2 then you can bump out of forward and reverse as often as you like. No transmission to tear up, shift early shift often. You can use this to add or remove momentum, and if you're buckets are adjusted properly even at the highest no wake mode neutral will barely move the boat. It makes some noise but doesn't hurt a thing.

@haknslash did a great write-up on how to use this to your advantage. I'll try to track it down when I'm back to a PC. Gotta change your mindset away from the I/O world!

Honestly, it's a feature not a big. I promise.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
On my boat, I only use the buttons or screen for selections... never the joystick. So, my joystick is always in Media mode. I can turn the big joystick knob anytime, from any screen to adjust volume. Is that something you can do?

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Radio volume. Tap the media button, push down on the round knob and then you can use the knob to turn volume up and down with that.

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hate #1

Learn to use that. Leave no wake mode at #1 or #2 then you can bump out of forward and reverse as often as you like. No transmission to tear up, shift early shift often. You can use this to add or remove momentum, and if you're buckets are adjusted properly even at the highest no wake mode neutral will barely move the boat. It makes some noise but doesn't hurt a thing.

@haknslash did a great write-up on how to use this to your advantage. I'll try to track it down when I'm back to a PC. Gotta change your mindset away from the I/O world!

Honestly, it's a feature not a big. I promise.
100% agree, practice using this method and you'll be able to maneuver just about any docking situtation. There are a couple of YouTube videos out there as well showing how to best take advantage of it.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you are leaving it in the water, that paint is pretty much necessary from what I have heard. If you do want to clean it up, try an acid wash. You can do it on the trailer, but you will miss where the bunks are. I suppose that may scrub a couple MPH the next time out due to drag (smile)

Wipe this on with a sponge or brush and rinse off. I am going to use a pump sprayer this year on mine, as the fumes are horrendous!!

But watching the bio material rinse off really is satisfying!

Last edited:

JetBoatingUpstateNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thank you everyone!

regarding no wake mode... i think i get it now. it just sets the engine RPM to a certain speed and then you essentially just control the direction of the jetwater using the throttle handles and steering wheel. i thought putting the throttle in neutral while in NWM did absolutely nothing and kept my boat essentially in "cruise control" moving forward. sounds like this isn't the case. (or shouldn't be if my buckets are adjusted properly)

thank you for the tips regarding radio, awful beep and bottom cleaning, will look into these

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
regarding no wake mode... i think i get it now. it just sets the engine RPM to a certain speed and then you essentially just control the direction of the jetwater using the throttle handles and steering wheel.
:Welcome:
Note that No Wake will cancel as soon as you move the throttles beyond the initial acceleration point at full forward, that way it goes back to default settings so when you come off plane it's not revving higher than you expect. Cruise Assist works almost the opposite where if you're cruising along and you want to quickly slow down, just drop the RPM's below 3000 and it cancels.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Gee, and I thought I discovered this first!
I found this handy on windy days and/or around tight docks as it helps to get a faster reaction to input.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
On my boat, I only use the buttons or screen for selections... never the joystick. So, my joystick is always in Media mode. I can turn the big joystick knob anytime, from any screen to adjust volume. Is that something you can do?
I never touch my screen now that I learned to use the Joystick - there's a button in the middle ahead of the Joystick that changes mode from Volume to Scroll and if you press that, the Joystick now moves a cursor around the screen as needed, pressing it down like a mouse button selects whatever you have highlighted. I cleaned the screen of fingerprints after I found this, and now it stays print free.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hates: i know, i don't want to hate on anything because i truly love this boat. But do you really own a boat if you don't have several complaints about it.

1. putting the throttle levers in neutral DOESN'T deactivate no-wake mode and put the boat in neutral? are you kidding me?? why?? does anyone else think this is crazy?
2. i find the dashboard screen to be a little clunky... like why can't i turn the music down until i push the radio button.
3. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP when you turn the boat on.
4. not specific to my boat, but it took Yamaha Financial 60 days to send the lien releases. SIXTY days. 2 months. This is lawsuit-worthy.
Congratulations on the boat

item 1. These boats tend to creep so the no wake mode revving does make it creep more . They have no real neutral the impeller always spins you may want to look at the gates they can be adjusted they may be to high or to low letting the thrust go more in one direction.

item 2. the music symbol on the joy stic is the way to go as stated above

item 3. the beep is really annoying when in float mode with low gas it resets every few minutes and starts beeping again . Im putting a toggle switch to turn it off

Item 4. always when buying used, titles are slow they could care less that you need it to get legal paperwork . I always find a deal with title in hand unless what Im buying does not need paperwork.