• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to the site: Hello everyone

Adrenaline N2O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi again. I joined after site came up during a search for Bimini/ Bahamas 2016. Three others and I are looking to join a group of riders that will be crossing from FL to Bimini. We are riding in Yamaha PWC's and are considering the logistics of transporting them to FL from NYC. Any good suggestions., advice or comments will be appreciated. Good day and Happy Holidays everyone.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Adrenaline N2O glad that you found us and decided to join.

I've only been to Bimini from the pics on this site. But I'm very envious of those who have gone. I'm sure those who have been will chime in shortly. Good luck with your trip. Make sure to post lots of pics.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

Do you have a triple PWC trailer to tow them on?

If you do not want to tow them yourself have you considered http://uship.com? I have used their system to get bids and move items a couple of times including a boat.

The skis in our group last year did well in the rough water.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like we'll be crossing in ski's this year also. Can't wait!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just tow them down and roll. I have used Uship to get a boat shipped before as well that is always another good option if you don't want to tow. I did it last year on a ski it wasn't that bad at all just bring something to cover your legs with as by the 3rd or fourth day you will be fried with no Bimini top for protection. Also make sure all skis are in top notch running condition I would not bring anything that is not fuel injected. Do not plan to ride two up only one per ski if conditions are good you could go two up but if it is like last year it would be a nightmare to try and do so i wouldn't show up expecting to do so.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm we need to start working on a ride swap on this forum lol. A bunch of us east coast guys such as my self would love to do Lake Powell but have no desire to tow 34 hours to do it and I'm sure many of the west coast guys would love to do Bimini. We just need to get a group together to swap you guys fly out to Florida and we take you to Bimini and in return we fly out to Powell at some point and you guys run us around for a week.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Adrenaline N2O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Welcome Aboard!

If you do not want to tow them yourself have you considered http://uship.com? I have used their system to get bids and move items a couple of times including a boat.

I've only been to Bimini from the pics on this site. But I'm very envious of those who have gone. I'm sure those who have been will chime in shortly. Good luck with your trip. Make sure to post lots of pics.
Welcome Aboard!

I will look into yahoo, thanks.

Adrenaline N2O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Thank you.

Adrenaline N2O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So far the group that has reached out to me from NY have :
2 - SHO's (under 100 hours)
2 - XLT 1200's (fresh rebuilds under 10 hours)
1 - FX 140 ( I will be rebuilding after holidays)
1 - GTI (fresh rebuild under 10 hours)

While 4 stroke PWC's are ideal, not everyone has one, yet they would like to ride. All of the 2 strokes are complete stripped restorations.

While we have not narrowed down dates because some are addressing work-vacation schedules, we are also looking to join a group of experienced riders. Thank you all for welcoming me to the site. I look forward to sharing my limited experience, to learn from you and hopefully get to ride with you.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the biggest thing with 2 strokes be fuel? I certainly don't claim to know anything about the 2 stroke ski's, just always was under the impression they didn't have the capacity to make a trip like this. My 242 ran out crossing last year. Even with 18 gallon cap on the ski, I'm planning on bringing extra this year.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So far the group that has reached out to me from NY have :
2 - SHO's (under 100 hours)
2 - XLT 1200's (fresh rebuilds under 10 hours)
1 - FX 140 ( I will be rebuilding after holidays)
1 - GTI (fresh rebuild under 10 hours)

While 4 stroke PWC's are ideal, not everyone has one, yet they would like to ride. All of the 2 strokes are complete stripped restorations.

While we have not narrowed down dates because some are addressing work-vacation schedules, we are also looking to join a group of experienced riders. Thank you all for welcoming me to the site. I look forward to sharing my limited experience, to learn from you and hopefully get to ride with you.
The problem with two strokes is not reliability as much as having to carry fuel and oil. Not just for the crossings but having to carry oil for the whole week. Both my 2012 gti and 2013 ultra lx which has a 20 gallon tank had to refuel at sea on the way over and still made it on fumes due to the bad conditions. I'm not saying by any means they couldn't make it but I still wouldn't recomend it. If you guys decide to take two strokes be prepaired with spark plugs plenty of fuel and oil. Even in my four stroke ski's the trip cost almost $800 in fuel if I was on a two stroke it would have been closer to 1600 it might almost be worth upgrading compared to taking a two stroke once you throw oil cost into that. It will cost between 140-160 a day to fuel up in Bimini at $8 a gallon

Last edited:

Chris roehm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
how long did it take to cross ? There's fuel available there correct ? at 3-4 gph the math isn't quite working out what am I missing ?

Adrenaline N2O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just called Bimini Sands and the cost, today, for fuel is $5.00 USD per gallon inclusive of tax. For my last run, my SHO did about 5 hours on the 18 or so gallon tank, which presumably at $5.00 would be $90.00 per day per every 5 hour day operation.

We plan on adding 12 gall. tanks to supplement the stock tanks, at least for the crossings.

And yes, the fuel/oil mixing will be an inconvenience, but they may not have other options. As long as they can have fun, they don't mind.