• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to this discussion... long time Ski Nautique owner..... really considering the 255XD.

mjskulski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
New to this discussion... long time Ski Nautique owner ( 2007 ski nautique 226 TE)..... really considering the 255XD.
Anyone else a ski nautique convert? If so, why...pros and cons?
How is the wake behind the 242X? Do you think the 255XD will be better?
If I buy now at 94k plus tax.... what will it be worth in 5 years? Ten years?
Anyone ski behind the 242X? How is 242 wakeboarding? Tubing?
Best regards and thanks for help and an advice!!!

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't owned one but have been to wakeboard camps that run them as you should know its 70% rider ability vs equipment. If your pro level at wakeboarding the ski nautique will be better but for the average rider the wake created will be fun. If your concerned about resale used is the way to go not new to eliminate some of the depreciation. The 255 is only 6'' longer I cant imagine much of a difference

You questioned skiing I would think the yamaha would be great for that due to the speed required 25- 30mph ? the Ski nautique will be close to max speed the yamaha will be at mid range and throw a smaller wake

Some pictures going wake to wake I am an average rider half a century old :oops:

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5506.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5492.JPG

Copy of IMG_5467.JPG

Attachments

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 255XD looks amazing. I really like some of the changes. It is a lot of things, but despite being a "Wake Series" model it is not an off the shelf wake boat. It's comparable more to a "surf" model I/O. Stock, its going to be a bit light on ballast. It will be adequate to go ropeless, but board choice will be imperative to success. Lighter weight riders will have an easier time. It's unknown if it's a improvement over the 242x. All we have to base our our opinions off of is the marketing provided by Yamaha. The "all new" hull is 6" longer and designed to sit "deeper". If surfing is your primary goal, there are other options on the market that will produce a better wave out of the box.

I went the route of adding a ballast system to my '16 AR240. 500lbs under each rear seat, 900lbs in the ski locker, and a 850lb bag designed for the swim deck. The extra weight on the swim deck is the game changer for surfing. I also use what's know as the Wake Wedge to manage the jetwash vs the Yamaha WakeBooster. It is very surfable combination. It just takes a little extra effort to set up vs a wake boat. Additionally, I'm a watersports dealer (www.transomwatersports.com) so I've had the luxury of demoing multiple boards on my wave. I'm 5'10" and 195lbs and have been able to surf AND PLAY (not just go ropeless) on boards from 4'4" Slingshot Butter Bar up to the 5'3" Coaster with my 65lb son riding tandem. Again, it's the added setup that makes it happen.

Here's a video of my wife earlier this season that give the best perspective if our wave.
This running is 11' if water.

Here's me playing:
I think we've since dialed our wave in a bit more this season.

As for wakeboarding, basically fill the stock ballast, maybe a bit less in the ski locker, 60' rope and let'er rip. Not the cleanest wave, but adequate.
20200724_181807_1.gif

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you are into serious wake sports, this is not the boat for you. If you want a well rounded boat that can do 55mph, can do wake sports behind, can go offshore with etc., then this boat fits the bill.

The boat does not have enough ballast for an adult to wake surf behind easily (stock). Can it be done...sure. But if you want a bigger more fun wave....you will need a swim step bag.

rvictor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
1st year of owning a 2019 242x. Run 100% in center and surf side ballast plus Yamaha wakebooster. Speed 10.5-11. The kids (19, 17 and myself 49 - 6ft, 230 pounds can surf all day ropeless. Great clean wave. Highly recommend the Yamaha wake boat! 252x looks amazing. Love the automatic wakeboost switch, paddle controls on steering wheel will make docking a dream. Go for it!

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
1st year of owning a 2019 242x. Run 100% in center and surf side ballast plus Yamaha wakebooster. Speed 10.5-11. The kids (19, 17 and myself 49 - 6ft, 230 pounds can surf all day ropeless. Great clean wave. Highly recommend the Yamaha wake boat! 252x looks amazing. Love the automatic wakeboost switch, paddle controls on steering wheel will make docking a dream. Go for it!
Need LOTS of pics.

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
TY! I gotta talk moms into a 250.

mostwanted

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
We just sold a beautiful custom built 2019 Tige R22. My honest opinion is the jet boats dont surf anywhere near a dedicated wakeboard/wakesurf boat. We love our 2020 212X but its just not comparable. We made the change because we wanted to have a more versatile boat. Would never consider going back either but also am honest about what we have now. The jet wash is brutal from tubing, wakeboarding etc. The wake surf needs a ton of work and even then its barely rideable. If your a gungho wake surf person and thats primary use I would strongly suggest riding in a 242X before making the move. I am not talking down the yamaha. We love it. And we already have a deposit on the 255XE. Just being honest about the wake and wash. The wash is rough. Hopefully the 255 is better than the 212X. If you were considering the 212 Id say dont bother.

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you are into serious wake sports, this is not the boat for you. If you want a well rounded boat that can do 55mph, can do wake sports behind, can go offshore with etc., then this boat fits the bill.

The boat does not have enough ballast for an adult to wake surf behind easily (stock). Can it be done...sure. But if you want a bigger more fun wave....you will need a swim step bag.
I agree with this - if you're used to a vdrive wake, the froth behind the jet is going to disappoint. But they're VERY GOOD do-everything-pretty-damn-good boats. Also, if you're in a place where prop strikes are frequent it's highly recommended.

Viktor Kustov

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very helpful discussion. I have the same dilemma. Considering trading in our 2015 242 Limited S for a 255XD. Started getting into wakeboarding a bit more and the more I read the more I'm getting convinced that maybe a dedicated wake boat is a better choice for us. Looking at Moomba Makai which is pretty much the same price.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you value watersports, I personally believe a dedicated watersports boat (probably a v drive) is your best bet. You lose a bit in the shallow water peace of mind area, lost 10 mph or so in the hauling a$$ across the lake department, give up next to nothing in the lounging/cove hangout/boat tie-up department, you almost certainly gain in the ride comfort & ease of driving department, and you most certainly come out way ahead in the suitability for towed watersports & wakesurfing arena.

NSPJH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our family just went through this debate. We had a 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S and over the past few years we were doing more and more wake surfing. With a big ballast bag on the swim deck, repositioning of passengers and an aftermarket wedge we built a surfable wave but its a process and switching from goofy side to regular side for surfing becomes really tedious. We then tried a new Axis A22 surfboat and realized the surf wave was just in a different league than anything we could build with our Yamaha and it came almost immediately with a touch of a button. However, the Axis boat interior paled in comparison even to our 5 year old Yamaha. We seriously debated the 255xd since we have had a great experience with Yamaha and the new boat looks great, but in the end we just can't imagine it bridging the gap surf wise given how far a gap we realized there was. Finally settled on a Malibu Wakesetter 25 LSV, but I keep wondering if we are going to regret laying out the extra money when that 255xd comes out. Yamaha is marketing the boat to dealers as the "Malibu killer" due to its surf technology, but the wave pictures currently available look really underwhelming. Everything else about the boat looks awesome.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our family just went through this debate. We had a 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S and over the past few years we were doing more and more wake surfing. With a big ballast bag on the swim deck, repositioning of passengers and an aftermarket wedge we built a surfable wave but its a process and switching from goofy side to regular side for surfing becomes really tedious. We then tried a new Axis A22 surfboat and realized the surf wave was just in a different league than anything we could build with our Yamaha and it came almost immediately with a touch of a button. However, the Axis boat interior paled in comparison even to our 5 year old Yamaha. We seriously debated the 255xd since we have had a great experience with Yamaha and the new boat looks great, but in the end we just can't imagine it bridging the gap surf wise given how far a gap we realized there was. Finally settled on a Malibu Wakesetter 25 LSV, but I keep wondering if we are going to regret laying out the extra money when that 255xd comes out. Yamaha is marketing the boat to dealers as the "Malibu killer" due to its surf technology, but the wave pictures currently available look really underwhelming. Everything else about the boat looks awesome.
I think you made the right call... I think "Malibu killer" is a bit of an overreach. I can't speak from first hand experience, but I agree with your judgement based on what we have to judge by. Pics when you got'em!

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
+1
Lets see surfing @~2000 rpms or 7000 rpms-You made the right choice, definitely pics.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
"Maliby killer"....that's funny. I HIGHLY doubt they will actually come out with any combination of technologies that will "kill" a v-drive wake boat in the watersports arena.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
to even remotely touch the purpose built surf boats they're going to have to up the ballast capability stock. Until they're able to run 3k+ lbs of ballast out the gate it won't ever really compare. It'll be ok, at best, with only 1600 lbs of ballast.