• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New volvo penta forward drive system for surfing....

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
check out the new forward drive system from volvo penta. this pic is on a cobalt. it's getting released at the miami boat show today also....

image.jpg

I think your wave is better :)

You guys and Luxury WakeBoats are THE REASON I/Os are doing this...Nice Work..

Nice curl, but the pocket looks short. Also to add I don't know if I would want to be back there with an outdrive.... :confused:

I'm just going to leave this here so we can compare :) my boat with just the back ballast bags filled :)image.jpg

My boat with all the bags filled :)image.jpg

Nice curl, but the pocket looks short. Also to add I don't know if I would want to be back there with an outdrive.... :confused:

The forward drive would be no different than an inboard - if anything it is safer than an inboard as you have the out drive main unit between you and the props.

i bet those volvo guys would never jump on a plane and head to the great northwest to test their system.....just sayin' @sx210owner @jcyamaharider

It's a pretty nice boat !!! Cool vid !!

Yes it is!!

I think it's a game changer. Yes, those forward facing props are awfully exposed to damage, but I suppose no more than the fixed prop of an inboard. The advantage of trim capability seems like a big one to me, not only for surfing or other wakesports but also for optimizing the boat's attitude for conditions or maximum speed. Of course, you will have the additional maintenance requirements and potential failure points of the sterndrive configuration, particularly as compared to a jet. Also, the forward drive doesn't allow the outdrive to be lifted far enough to get the props above the keel at the stern, which is a downer for those who may want to beach their boats or be able to float over shallow obstacles. Altogether, though, I bet they'll sell a ton of these things to family boaters/watersports enthusiasts. Heck, I'd certainly consider it for my next boat! I'm toying with the idea of getting a Cobalt 220 in a couple of years but my primary hangup has been the exposed props of the traditional sterndrive and the resulting lack of ability to surf. That concern could be erased.

Bryant Boats also offer a surf package with a HUGE extended swim platform. The swim platform puts you out about the same distance as an inboard prop. I love Bryants and Cobalts - I've been eyeing a Bryant for a while now.
I like all this innovation and new thinking - it's good for boating and good for the sport. Some of the die hard inboards guys are scoffing at this - but if they kept an open mind - they might be surprised!

Bryant Boats also offer a surf package with a HUGE extended swim platform. The swim platform puts you out about the same distance as an inboard prop. I love Bryants and Cobalts - I've been eyeing a Bryant for a while now.

I agree Bryant makes a great boat with similar quality to that of a Cobalt but at a much better price point. Bryant also has a really good owner's forum.

Bryant Calandra is on my short list for our next boat. They are suuuhhhweeeet!

The local Bryant dealer just received a black 2016 Caladra with a black sport arch. Sitting out front! WOW! Absolutely gorgeous boat.
And for a 23'er - it's HUGE.

Back