• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie, green and female

Calimar

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My ex got the boat in the divorce, and I'm already missing having a boat on the lake this summer. A couple of years ago I met a mom at the lake who managed a Seadoo sportster or speedster completely on her own with two kids in tow. Now I want one, or something similar. I can't spend a fortune on something new, but other than enjoying being a passenger in a boat for the last 10 years, I know nothing about driving, trailering or maintaining a boat. (I know, I know, I shouldn't have just sat back and enjoyed the ride all those years. Many a missed opportunity to learn, but hindsight and all...) Anyhow, I want something small, like the Seadoo, that I can manage on my own, but big enough to accommodate my kids and some friends. I wouldn't be making repairs or doing mechanical maintenance myself, I'd have to pay for that. Ideally, I would want to pay under $10,000. I can store it at home. What are my options here? What does it cost to maintain an older jet boat? What to I need to consider when looking? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
First...WELCOME, you've come to the right place! You might be able to find one of the small 17' jet boats for around 10K, but that is really a single family boat....perhaps with a friend or two, but would be snug. You should be able to find a 19' boat in the 8-12K range (I sold my Yamaha LX210 for 12K a while ago). These are 2 cycle boats (which is what the smaller and older 17/19' boats will all be. This means they use a gas and oil mix to ensure the engine is lubricated vs an oil sump. The only reason I point this out is you'll want to be more careful finding the right one, and they do smoke at idle.

If you can go up to the 10-15K range you might be able to find a Yamaha SX or AR 210 (for a couple of years Yamaha named two different models AR210s - some where 2 cycle, some 4 cycle. The 4 cycles ones have a full windshield). This size boat is still easy to manage and can fit 2 families.

That said, your tow vehicle might limit what you can get unless you have a marina you can store the boat at?

Be sure to look through the classified section, you can even put a "Wanted to Buy" add in there. You might want to list where you live (city and state as we're happy to search for boats for you! We love spending other peoples money! LOL)

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are not handy, run don't walk from a 2 stroke. They are a pain to maintain. Sure they can run great, but they are very tempermental in comparison to a 4 stroke.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard, where are you located? Perhaps there is a couple or other ladies nearby that could take you out and help you learn.

I would suggest a new or used SX or AR 190. I know that the 190 is above your budgeted price range but with new boat financing the payment on a new $25,000 190 is likely to be less than that on a $10,000 boat. Also the 190 should not need anything more than an oil and spark plug change once a year.

Having a partner to boat with makes it easier but many take care of all the trailering, launching, retrieval, etc on their own while their partner watches. So please be assured that you can do this!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's also going to depend on where you live. In the northern climates you can get some good deals in the fall when people are ready to put boats away for the winter. I also say to look for 4 strokes. Much easier to maintain and more reliable.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard, @Calimar!

There are a lot of guys here, of course, but quite a few women here who seasoned jetboat captains, if you are looking for their perspectives. All the good folks here will help you every step of your boating journey.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Calimar Welcome!!:Welcome: You have joined an awesome forum to help you with your wish list. Some things to consider when buy a used boat: engine hours, frequency of oil change, was it used in salt water vs fresh water, who did the maintenance (DIY or a certified Tech), do you want something to tow skier/wake boarder with or are you just a cruiser, boat length, options (bimini top, swim deck, swim ladder, etc.) and the list goes on. And yes, you should have taken the helm and put some hours on your previous boat. My wife getting her helm time..

Last edited:

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not a woman, but I do all launching and retrieving on my own, i don't know how old your kids are but they can be a help on the boat even if it's just holding a dock line or something, leaning over the bow to hook the winch and such.

If the location you are launching the boat has a dock alongside the ramp it makes it much much easier to do alone.

It may seem overwhelming but you can do it, and it will be second nature before long!.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We wife and I are a all female crew on our boat! I've owned an inboard outboard previously and find the yamaha's so much easier to handle vs. a prop once you get some hours under your belt. If you have any questions...don't hesitate to ask me @Calimar

jerseyboyz

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You might want to look into taking a safe boating course as well. Good luck and you can find a nice used 18' sea doo or Yamaha for under 8k that seats 5 comfortably. That's exactly what I'm looking to purchase until I can step into something newer.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Calimar glad that you found us. Post up the area that you live in and maybe somebody close by would be willing to take your family for a test ride on their boat and go over the procedures. good luck with your search for a boat, hope it works out well for you.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum. I think you're looking in the right place. I just explained to some friends this weekend why I chose a jetboat over a traditional drive. Maintenance is simple, and the Yamaha brand is pretty much the Honda Accords of water. Take simple care of them, and they keep running. I do believe if you can bring up your bottom line youll allow yourself to still have a 2 family boat with newer engine technology and the ability to store it in your garage. best of luck.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Calimar, good luck on the search and welcome to the forum. Not to sell you on Yamaha since there are going to be other boats that will fit as competitively into your price range. The challenge with Yamaha is that the smaller line of 19' (sx and ar) boats are relatively new and still command upwards of $20K+ used. The older 210's with dual engines can be found for less than $20K but I don't think you want one that falls under ~$15K since you will need to expect to spend some money (trailer, upholstery, cover, mechanics). Depending on what you are up for, maybe that is okay

I just wanted to point out that if you can get a Yamaha, consider that you will have the best forum that will help you with any "opportunities/challenges" that come along with owning a boat. That can mean how to use the boat, what to buy for the boat, what insurance to buy, etc.

Keep us posted

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not normally an advocate of seadoo boats but something like this may meet your needs and budget. If it were me I'd shoot for a used Yamaha instead, something in the 2004 to 2006 and 21 to 23 foot range but I don't think I could find one around here for $10k whereas I've seen some great deals on these newer seadoo challenger 180s (a non supercharged one should be cheaper and easier to maintain). Stay away from the two stroke version of it or any jet boat if possible, they are easy to work on but most need to be worked on not just maintained.

http://stockton.craigslist.org/boa/5554756027.html

I admire your decision to do this on your own. You are bound to make life time memories with your friends and family.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@DBamaC and @Calimar , that is a smoking good deal on 21' seadoo. If it were in a thousand miles of me (the furthest I'd be willing to drive) I would try to see and test dive it right away (with cash on or nearby me). Of course I'd only buy it to flip it, the last thing I need is another boat I wouldn't get much use of out of.

Top Bottom