• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie here - sucked up the rope!

libton2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hey everyone, you all were so helpful when i was deciding which boat to buy and now I'm coming for help again. So Wednesday out on Jordan lake here in Raleigh we sucked up the rope. We were able to limp back to dock on one engine at about 3k or 4k rpm.

I'm wondering how to get this thing out. I've cut away a lot of it but it seems i might need an extra elbow because it seems like it's going up the shaft towards the engine. I'm thinking about taking off the grate at the bottom but it's got some heavy duty silicone around it and I'm not sure i want to mess with it. Should i just keep sawing at it from above?

Last edited:

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If it's that bad, I'd remove the intake grate. All you need is below the water line silicone and thread lock when you put it back together.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What kind of knife are you using? There are hook blades for utility knives that make it easier to cut the rope. I'd take the grate off as a last resort.

Let me know if you need local help (I'm in Raleigh too). Happy to come over and assist. Message me if interested.

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had the same. Got down to two ends that seemed to be stuck in the bearing. From the clean out, I wrapped the rope several times around a screwdriver and jerked hard and it came out. Hope I didn’t hurt the seal but didn’t have much choice.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is what I do. Not difficult at all and good to know how anyway.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just popped my cherry on the rope being sucked up too. No way we could get to it all on the water with the knife we had. Limped back to the dock in No Wake mode and put it on the trailer. Pulled the pump and the rope came right out. Much easier than continuing to cut or messing with the intake grate.

libton2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
What kind of knife are you using? There are hook blades for utility knives that make it easier to cut the rope. I'd take the grate off as a last resort.

Let me know if you need local help (I'm in Raleigh too). Happy to come over and assist. Message me if interested.
Thanks Julian! I'm using the saw blade on an old hunting knife. It's cutting through the rope easily, but I'm starting to wonder if there are parts of it wound in somewhere that I can't feel. I'll shoot you a pm

libton2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks for the info guys about pulling the pump out. I watched that video and it seems pretty straightforward. I may give that a shot today.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info guys about pulling the pump out. I watched that video and it seems pretty straightforward. I may give that a shot today.
All my mechanical knowledge from the boat has come from this forum and YouTube (and 90% of the stuff on here is over my head). If I can do that job in less than 30 minutes (including the time it took for my wife to come out and see her handy work), you will be fine.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Following... For easy access when it happens 😅

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is what I do. Not difficult at all and good to know how anyway.

Good video, just one comment about it - they actually make it harder than it needs to be! The reverse gate cable is attached with a quick connect release. You don't need to unbolt it! You'd think these guys would know that!

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rob’s DIY channel also has a video of him pulling the pump and he does it the easy way.

libton2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I just looked it up and will watch it later. This forum is so great! Thanks to all of you!!!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think if the great @Julian helps you with your first rope, you should get two trophies... Jus sayin.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

libton2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks Julian! I can honestly say i would be lost without you guys and this forum. Julian was super helpful today and it didn't take long at all to get that rope out.

We took the boat out tonight and it ran great. We have identified a rope master that is in charge of ensuring we keep the rope out of the danger zone going forward too.

Big thanks to Julian, i couldn't have done it without his expert guidance!!!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Along with a Rope Master you will also learn to ask "Rope clear?" as your hand reaches the keys.