• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No good deed goes unpunished!

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had to work yesterday morning but I got done early and headed to the marina. I called a few friends, loaded the cooler, and headed out to a cove (Dredge Harbor for the locals in the know). A few minutes later a close friend and his crew showed up with their 28' maxum cabin cruiser and sea doo GTX (pwc) and we rafted up planning to stay for the day.

A few hours pass and everyone is taking runs on the pwc. Even though I've owned many in the past and they don't excite me much anymore I opted to go out with a friend on it. As soon as we leave the cove I spot a small fishing boat on the rocks with their outboard cover off the engine and they're flagging us down. My one friend who really doesn't know much about boating said "screw that" and I said "it's the law and it's good karma lets go see what they need." It was a group of 5 college students and they ended up needing a tow. I told them we'd tow them into the cove we came out of and drop them off at the docks and they were very grateful.

So I hook them up with a tow line. While helping them they said they were stuck there for an hour and tried waving multiple people down. Nobody stopped. They we super grateful and I explained to them how this tow was going to work and what I expected of them and what not to do. We were on our way quickly and moved at barely above idle partly due to the tow rope not being as long as I would have liked.

The cove is extremely shallow and has a narrow channel entrance. We were 3/4 of the way in when a 34'+ sailboat under power came up on our ass very quickly. They had about 8 people on board *cough*yuppies*cough* and the wife I assume came to the bow and started freaking out. She started yelling at us and I couldn't hear what she was saying due to the distance of being on the tow ski. The college kids looked spooked and I asked what they were yelling. They told me they were telling us to move out of their way because they couldn't pass us and were going to run aground! I couldn't believe it and my temper flew. We were going to veer off the channel anyway at this time to head towards a dock so we did this at that time. As the sailboat came parallel to me the wife at the front looks at me and started flailing her arms. To which I told her she and her crew were number one via hand signals (good ol Jersey salute) and might have said a few more words to the affect that she isn't too smart if she's yelling at someone under tow. Ok, maybe it wasn't said so politely.

I couldn't believe someone would get pissed at someone being towed in because they couldn't control the speed of their vessel! I was very tempted to go find their dock after dropping off the college kids but decided nothing good would come of it. Damn yuppies!

I consider myself self taught in many aspects of my life (BTW, I'm a very slow learner and a horrible teacher ;) ) But one thing that I've discovered is that "I can't argue with stupid" it just makes me more pissed off and I feel worse afterwards for having stooped to their level.

I feel your pain @Skysurfer2010

I had to work yesterday morning but I got done early and headed to the marina. I called a few friends, loaded the cooler, and headed out to a cove (Dredge Harbor for the locals in the know). A few minutes later a close friend and his crew showed up with their 28' maxum cabin cruiser and sea doo GTX (pwc) and we rafted up planning to stay for the day.

A few hours pass and everyone is taking runs on the pwc. Even though I've owned many in the past and they don't excite me much anymore I opted to go out with a friend on it. As soon as we leave the cove I spot a small fishing boat on the rocks with their outboard cover off the engine and they're flagging us down. My one friend who really doesn't know much about boating said "screw that" and I said "it's the law and it's good karma lets go see what they need." It was a group of 5 college students and they ended up needing a tow. I told them we'd tow them into the cove we came out of and drop them off at the docks and they were very grateful.

So I hook them up with a tow line. While helping them they said they were stuck there for an hour and tried waving multiple people down. Nobody stopped. They we super grateful and I explained to them how this tow was going to work and what I expected of them and what not to do. We were on our way quickly and moved at barely above idle partly due to the tow rope not being as long as I would have liked.

The cove is extremely shallow and has a narrow channel entrance. We were 3/4 of the way in when a 34'+ sailboat under power came up on our ass very quickly. They had about 8 people on board *cough*yuppies*cough* and the wife I assume came to the bow and started freaking out. She started yelling at us and I couldn't hear what she was saying due to the distance of being on the tow ski. The college kids looked spooked and I asked what they were yelling. They told me they were telling us to move out of their way because they couldn't pass us and were going to run aground! I couldn't believe it and my temper flew. We were going to veer off the channel anyway at this time to head towards a dock so we did this at that time. As the sailboat came parallel to me the wife at the front looks at me and started flailing her arms. To which I told her she and her crew were number one via hand signals (good ol Jersey salute) and might have said a few more words to the affect that she isn't too smart if she's yelling at someone under tow. Ok, maybe it wasn't said so politely.

I couldn't believe someone would get pissed at someone being towed in because they couldn't control the speed of their vessel! I was very tempted to go find their dock after dropping off the college kids but decided nothing good would come of it. Damn yuppies!

Just like with your decision to give aid to the vessel in distress, both the law and boating karma were on your side regarding the asshats on the sailboat.

My general philosophy regarding "boaters" like the sailboat crew you describe: don't let it ruin your day and don't let it make you confrontational. Darwinian forces are very strong on the water...they will get theirs soon enough.

@Skysurfer2010: I am sorry to learn you had to endure this.
I think wgat @itsdgm wrote is most appropriate:
I consider myself self taught in many aspects of my life (BTW, I'm a very slow learner and a horrible teacher ;) ) But one thing that I've discovered is that "I can't argue with stupid" it just makes me more pissed off and I feel worse afterwards for having stooped to their level.
Best Wishes for a better week ahead ! Mike Lulejan - Lake Oconee, GA

You did the right thing by helping out. I towed a girl on our lake who's pwc wouldn't run. My kids were calling me,"Mr. Coast Guard", but I told them, its the law to help.

Toss a couple dock lines in the water in front of them and get out of their way. Kick back and watch the fun unfold ... err wrap up!

I'll bet the bird felt good to flip them!!! To many me firsters out there!

Greg @Skysurfer2010 we've anchored in the cove a few times and I know what you mean about the channel and the low depth there. We also had a similar scenario a few years back on the Delaware where a young couple were out on a PWC and they were broken down and appeared to be taking on some water. So many boats just kept flying past them. I did a bee-line for them and we when got there the poor girl was in the water hanging on to the back and had a look like her life was just beginning to pass before her eyes. Her life jacket was way too small also. Of course the wakes from the passing boats were not helping them. We immediately got her in the boat and towed the pwc to the shoreline. They spoke very little English, but were able to express their gratitude quite clearly.

Beyond the law, I don't understand how someone can not help out their fellow man in situations like this. Glad you stopped to help.

Oh it definitely didn't ruin my day. I was just shocked that adults that most likely live a professional life style could be so stupid as to yell at a boat under tow to get out of their way. As much as I wanted to go yell at them some more I realized like someone said; you can't fix stupid. I went right back to the boats and enjoyed a couple more hours out.

I was just slightly embarrassed by two things. #1- riding a sea doo. #2- being seen riding a sea doo by the college kids! haha jk... Half.

Also as a side note, it's against the law not to stop for someone in distress and/ or signaling you down. However, it's not the law to tow someone in. But in this situation it was a very light boat and we were going a very short distance so I had no issues helping them out. It still took 20 minutes to tow about a mile.

I just wanted to point that out for anyone that might read this and misinterpret what we all said about being the law to help. We're required to stop and give aid in an emergency situation. But there's Sea Tow for a reason and we told them they should buy a membership before the next time they go out.

@Skysurfer2010: Excellent follow-up post you made this morning.'

However, I wanted to help you out a tad, clear the haze that apparently is in front of your eys (or more) from this weekend's happenings.

Please know I am a proud Yamaha owner: 1) A very nice Yamaha jet boat, and 2) my litlle baby, my 19-foot Skeeter bass boat, MADE by and POWERED by Yamaha.
Still looks like a million bucks, and runs better than that, after 14+ years.

Now for the "Clarity":

When I wanna have REAL, honest-to-goodness FUN, all B-S aside, I jump on 1 of my 2 Jet-Skiis.
SeaDoo's quality and performance cannot be touched.
SeaDoo's IBR (Instant Brake and Reverse) functionality cannot be matched by any other manufacturer.

So, riding a SeaDoo, owning a SeaDoo, even simply being SEEN on a SeaDoo is actually a BADGE OF HONOR !!!!!!!!

I've only posted to be of sincere help to you, attempting to clear the foggy haze you've recently acquired.

Other than that, Bless you and have a most wonderful wek ahead.
Mikey Lulejian - Livin' the Good Life riding SeaDoo jetskiis on Lake Oconee, GA

PPPS: All of this was writen in jest, wth humor attempted, and with a sincere effort to help @Skysurfer2010. LOL !

Last edited:
Well we are all welcome to our opinions. I'm sorry if I offended you since it was meant mostly as a joke.

I have been riding skis since 1990, owned 10 over the years, was the president of an at the time largest pwc club in the NE sanctioned by the AMA and also worked for a Yamaha dealership. My opinion is slightly different than yours.

But I will admit I'm a biased and die hard Yam fan!!

Back