• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No Shore Power - Need battery advice

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Hey y'all. I will be at Norris Lake for a week and wet slipping the boat. The dock is a couple hundred feet below the house and will not have shore power.

I have a group 34AGM Deep Cycle start battery and a Group 31AGM Deep Cycle for the house. I always have them on a tender in-between uses but will not have that option on this trip.

I can handle limiting the use of my stereo for the week but am worried that the OEM bilge pump that cycles will drain my start. From any of your experiences... if the bilge cycles all night and everything else is off, how long before I drain that battery?

It is a PIA to get to the dock and lugging the batteries up to the house to charge is not really an option... nor is buying a couple more batteries to switch them out.

It is too far to run any sort of extension cord down there too. Any advice or creative solutions are much appreciated!

(I have the standard factory DVSR dual battery switch)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would install a dedicated float bilge pump with its own discharge as that not only would solve for that week but is a good idea in general. This will allow you to leave the battery switches off.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a larger version of what @Scoop mentioned. It lives in the boat during the summer and the truck during the rest of the year. I've used it about two dozen times. Always for other boaters or drivers but it gives me great peace of mind. Your other consideration is a small solar panel.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mine sat a little over a week recently while I had some trailer work done. I know bilge ran some as we had some serious rain that week. Every 2-3 days I went over to start and run about 10-15 minutes, but I don’t think it was necessary. Aside from that I wasn’t running at all during the day, but it was fine.

When I’d take off, I’d try to run bow up as much as possible until the bilge would cycle and pump out more water.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have done about six full week vacations wet-slipped with no shore power and been fine with a group 24 battery just keeping the bilge on. It does not use that much and you are usually running a lot during the day charging back. I now have dual 29s and have no worries at all as I keep one isolated. The second bilge pump is a good solution if you do that a lot; but you may not want to go to that trouble just for this trip. My bigger issue at a community dock was trying to keep other people from worrying why that red light on my dash was on all night and hoping they didn’t try to be a Good Samaritan to save my battery.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
WIth a good battery and a back pressure bilge the battery will last 2.5 weeks in my experience. So one week is no issue...especially as I assume you will be out on the boat every day.

I would install a bilge alarm just for peace of mind so you'd know if there was water above the stock bilge pump.