• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Noise on 2016 242 LSE

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'll start by saying that over all, these new boats are miles quieter and less fatiguing than my old AR210....

However... They are not without their own noise issues.

firstly, the little seat in the centre of the bow quite literally booms when under way, especially at top no wake speed. This is because it's actually at the end if that giant ski locker, which I'm convinced now is acting as a huge resonance chamber.

secondly, they did a great job of insulating the forward facing portions of the engine compartment... But completely ignored the sides. While sitting at idle, just lift either of the seats to hear how much noise is in there! The culprit is the simple plywood bullhead between the engine compartment and the spaces under the seats.

lastly (so far), there is still a fair amount of vibration being transmitted through the floors, and the gas tank area.

I addressed the last two with the typical mass loading and sound barrier solutions that so may of us have done, and it really does make a difference. I completely covered the carpeted ply wood bulkheads, mass loaded the sides of the under seat storage areas (cabin + bow), and did the underside of the gas tank hatch.

what I'm unsure of now is what to do about that giant echo chamber that is our ski locker .

any suggestions?

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
ha

I work for Amazon, so if that's the solution I'll just go down to the warehouse and pick up a crate full of the stuff!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I didn't notice until my wife pointed it out. So I set it to max no wake, walked up front and put my ear next to it, and yup, boomy noise. Maybe your balast bags and noodles provide enough interference?