• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not new here, but finally getting a boat

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So i joined over a year ago and was contemplating a Yamaha 21 or 24. Never pulled the trigger last year. As of now, it looks like I will be taking ownership of a 2018 AR210 tomorrow for what I think is a good price. Dealer has to get the boat from out of state because my local dealer is high volume and sells out immediately. $42,270 OTD with the optional galvanized trailer. 5 year YES since Im bringing my own financing. Already order a Stoltz roller for the trailer after seeing the posts here. Plan is to run it for the rest of the season and then maybe do cobra Ak mega fins depending on how i adjust to the handling. I was originally looking at the AR190, but couldn't find any anywhere near me. The larger boat will be nice for me and my family of 4 (me, wife, 5 yr old, and 2 yr old), even though some people report that the twin TR-1 motors aren't sufficient for this size boat. Plan is to upgrade in 5 years to a 24 and with the kids being young, speed isn't really a priority for me. Haven't owned a boat in 12 years.

one question i do have is why hasn't this forum been updated to include 2018 boats? just curious.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you sure buying new with intention to upgrade in 5 years works out financially? I have not done the math, but it means taking the depreciation hit twice. It might be cheaper over 10 years to get the 24ft now.

It's a big chunk of change, so be sure you are comfortable with your plan. If you are, you are.

Both boats should work out just great and give you plenty of fun. Used vs new is a topic into itself, but if you have been looking for a year, I expect you already have seen some threads on it and have made your decision.

Best of luck. Boats are a lot of fun.

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I should’ve clarified my statement about upgrading in five years. Five years minimum depending on many variables. If my kids get into water sports, I could see it being at 5 years. If they don’t and we don’t outgrow a 21’, we will probably keep it for closer to 10.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I should’ve clarified my statement about upgrading in five years. Five years minimum depending on many variables. If my kids get into water sports, I could see it being at 5 years. If they don’t and we don’t outgrow a 21’, we will probably keep it for closer to 10.
We got an AR190. Same upgrade path essentially. We'll let the boys interest drive the timing. If they get into watersports we'll probably jump ship to a wake boat, if they don't get the bug then we'll keep the 190 a bit longer. We're 2years in at this point, figure we'll be another 5-6yrs before we have to make the decision.

Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to the family.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
one question i do have is why hasn't this forum been updated to include 2018 boats? just curious.
Glad to have you on board, congratulations on finally settling on a boat!

The biggest reason to your question above is probably we're a volunteer run group and none of the @Administrative have had time to add it.
Other possibilities are there just wasn't enough chatter or posts to demand a dedicated 2018 forum. If Yamaha is not bringing something special or there's no rumor of something then it's usually the same boat with minor changes and not worth another sub-division.

Most members post in the general discussion forums or use the "new posts" tab to keep track of new posts.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board, congratulations on finally settling on a boat!

The biggest reason to your question above is probably we're a volunteer run group and none of the @Administrative have had time to add it.
Other possibilities are there just wasn't enough chatter or posts to demand a dedicated 2018 forum. If Yamaha is not bringing something special or there's no rumor of something then it's usually the same boat with minor changes and not worth another sub-division.

Most members post in the general discussion forums or use the "new posts" tab to keep track of new posts.
We actually get complaints about adding Year specific forums! Last year we didn't attend (because we weren't invited) the media preview day. There is a long story behind that (related to Yamaha Legal being overly sensitive about us bringing an unhappy owner to their attention) and we hope they'll get over it. That said, it would be good if we had a 2018 210 FSH thread as that was really the primary change in 18. "Surf pointe" is interesting but not sure its a major surf improvement (not seen it so can't comment), Large Connext Screen is really cool - but as a Connext owner the more complex these boats get, the more many of us are realizing that their dealer network (service depts) may not be ready for that complexity (happy my deal is only a boat dealer...they know their stuff).

Any members with a 210 FSH want to post up a thread???

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both replies to that question make sense. Thanks. I was curious if the forum was dying out or if it was something like what was mentioned.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Both replies to that question make sense. Thanks. I was curious if the forum was dying out or if it was something like what was mentioned.
Still growing more every year (registrations are cyclical...more in the summer for obvious reasons) Our spam prevention and fake user registration blocking is working great! (some other sites allow users to register then block them once they've created an account...creating an artificially high user count....we don't):

upload_2018-8-9_10-41-39.png

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found out West Marine offers a generous discount to Police from my agency (since we have a marine unit with a contract through WM). saved enough on the items i wanted/needed (Garmin chart plotter, VHF radio, etc...) to cover the cobra fins that i wanted, so i ordered those also.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found out West Marine offers a generous discount to Police from my agency (since we have a marine unit with a contract through WM). saved enough on the items i wanted/needed (Garmin chart plotter, VHF radio, etc...) to cover the cobra fins that i wanted, so i ordered those also.
My wife calls that "husband math"......I rarely get away with it.