• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NOW or later

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been looking for a 230 for a while and have came across a 2004 sx230 w/ twin 140's and a tower. Looks very clean and the owner says all that needs to be done is new carpet on bunks. He's asking 12.5K. So I want to know if anyone has owned a non-H.O. and then an H.O. and can tell a huge difference between the 280 hp vs the 320 hp? I feel like for what my family is going to use the boat for I would be just fine with the smaller engines but don't want to be disappointed. I feel like I can wait til off season and pay cash for a newer H.O. or the 07-08 23o models for under 20k.
So should I get a 12k boat now and enjoy for a few seasons then upgrade or save up a little longer and get what I really want (HO engines and the 07-08 230 hull)?

What should I do?

Last edited:

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
280 is still a lot of power. These boats are awesome. You will love it either way. So it will do 46-48instead of 52mph. Who cares. Unless I'm slolum skiing (40-45mph) I never go over 25.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I would say the power would be more noticed if you are going to be doing heavy watersports.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know what to tell you,
it's certainly a good price and easy way for your family to experience boating without a large financial commitment. I don't think the engine size will make a difference for you but a tower or just the body style (you want a 07-09) is a factor,

Do you know the current owner?
Can you have a YDS hookup to read the engine hours?
Does the boat /engine compartment look clean?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Scott is right on....if you have kids, you might want to look for a boat with a tower. The engine size doesn't make much difference at all....you'd only notice it if you are a really big guy and want to learn how to slalom ski....and even then its not a huge deal.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can not buy back the summer you would have enjoyed with your family. Even if it is a ragged out Bayliner the answer should be now.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The ultimate decision is yours and your wife, however what I can tell you is what my Mother always told us. Yesterday is History, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift from God. If boating is is how you all want to spend time together then just do it.[flag]

Scott griffith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have a 03 sr230 with the 280 horsepower and my buddy has the ho not a lot of difference in my book unless like they said u plan on some heavy watersports

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can not buy back the summer you would have enjoyed with your family. Even if it is a ragged out Bayliner the answer should be now.
Agreed. When I bought mine in 2010, I financed. A bad decision financially to take a loan for a toy, but if I saved for 15 years and then made the purchase I wouldn't need it. The kids would be gone. As it is, they grew up knowing boating and I have no regrets.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm saving now to pay cash for my next boat. I'll enjoy my boat until then. You can always buy the 04 and enjoy it until you can buy something newer later on.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the comments. It seems like there isnt a big enough difference between the non HO models and the HO models to justify a $5,000 difference in price.

Sadly I contacted the guy with the 2004 sx230 for 12.5K and it is sold. :( So, on the hunt again for a sub 15k 23 foot yami.

Thanks again for all of your input!

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sorry to hear that. Anytime you see a boat that cheap it doesn't last long.

islandstyle57

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
One thing I have realized is, there will always be another great deal that comes along, but you need to be prepared to pull the trigger when necessary.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One thing I have realized is, there will always be another great deal that comes along, but you need to be prepared to pull the trigger when necessary.
Yup. My advice is to watch BoatTrader.com every single day. It's how I bought my sailboat and how I determined my price-point when I bought my Yami.

At first it's unfamiliar territory but if you check it every day, within a week or two you'll have a feel for what's a good deal and what isn't. As I mentioned somewhere in another post: It also gives you confidence to walk away if the deal isn't working out the way you want. You know there will be another one along that's probably even better.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One thing not previously mentioned is the hole shot / acceleration of the ho is noticeably better than that of the non ho. This is not a big deal unless you are constantly racing other boats. The time to get a good / great deal on a boat has passed now that Memorial Day/start of the boating season is upon us. The really good deals seem to come up at the season's end when people are trying to avoid storage costs.

If the choice were mine to make i would base it on the way the boat is configured not the engine size/hp. For the most part the non ho boats do not have a full size head compartment which I realized too late is really important for the women and children aboard. I say too late for me because i first bought an 06 SX 230 ho, loved the boat but wanted a head compartment so I sold it and bought a 2010 242 ls. All told that upgrade path cost me $10k to $20k more than it would have had I just bought an 07 230 SX or ar.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the "head" compartment is a function of year and not HO configuration.

You have 2 questions. 2007 or later for the taller boat with potential J seating vs lower gunwale and dual captain chair of 2006 and prior.

And, if 2006 or sooner..HO or not. All 2007+ are HO.

Best of luck. Try searchtempest to query Craiglist over a large area. That's how I find my 2008sx230 last year