• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil change tips or advice?

Mcollins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello I’m new to this sight and it’s my first post! I have a 2009 sx230 and want to change my own oil today, i have all the supplies and a new extractor. What’s the best position to have boat in? Completely level or bow up a bit and how much oil should i expect to get out of each engine? I have watched a video but would like more information. I plan on running each engine at least 10-12 minutes to warm oil and where do i put hose to extract oil i was told there’s a small hole in reservoir that you can put hose down to get more oil? Thank you in advance for your help.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You don’t need to warm the oil to extract it. The oil in the boat is a weighted oil, likely 10W-30 or something like that. The 10W part means the oil flows easily when cold and then thickens to a 30 weight oil once hot. Additionally, whenever it’s been sitting for a while, all oil has dripped back down into the oil pan, so you’ll recover more of it. I don’t know about an oil reserve reservoir, but you just stick the pump’s tube down the oil dip stick tube to drain the pan. There’s no easy way around the dumb oil filters making a mess. All you can do is have lots of paper towels handy.

Only other thing I can tell ya is to keep boat level on the trailer.

I always change my own oil. I know it’s done right with quality oil and it’s less expensive. Good luck!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@GoVols01 I've always warmed the engines and oil before extracting....there is a noticeable - visible - difference in viscosity of the oil warm vs cold, but I must admit I've never timed the extraction each way - always assumed it would be faster warm.

@Mcollins just remember to NEVER have cooling water running when the engines are OFF! When you stick the extractor hose into the hole you will find a deeper hole on the right side. Don't force the tip down....it can get stuck (ask me how I know LOL)

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Older gear heads will remember back to times before multiweight oils and trying to start an ice cold engine with a flat 40W oil in the winter time - more difficult to turn the engine over and hard on starter motors. Necessity is the mother of all inventions - in comes multiweight oil.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Measure what you take out and replace it with the same amount of oil ... assuming your oil dipstick is showing the correct amount of oil before start of the procedure. As @Julian indicated, run the engines for a few minutes to warm the oil. The increased flow rate when pumping out old oil will make the job quicker.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't get the oil too hot, it could wreak havoc with your extractor tubes. Wonder how I know that?

Mcollins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok thanks so much guys for the fast responses and advice I’m gonna give it a shot today ! Will let you know how it goes !!