• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil Extractor Recommendations

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As much as I don't like it I need to start thinking about the end of the season and maintenance items.

Looking for recommendations on oil extractors. Things you like/dislike about your current unit.

Thanks

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive been using the Pela (i believe model #6000). Simple, cost effective and works great. Also, whichever model you go with, make sure it will hold at least 5-6 quarts, otherwise youll have to empty it out between each engine. That would be a major pita!!!

JCampbell

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive been using the Pela (i believe model #6000). Simple, cost effective and works great. Also, whichever model you go with, make sure it will hold at least 5-6 quarts, otherwise youll have to empty it out between each engine. That would be a major pita!!!
X2

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
West Marine's Pela imitation works fine for me.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have the Moeller Fluid Extractor that looks just like this one, but it's a little smaller, though plenty big enough for my Yamaha jet engines. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-extractor-6-9-quart--11047123

Mine actually is labeled Moeller and I bought it at West Marine but I want to say I paid something like $60 for it. I distinctly remember it being on sale and that being a good price because generally I am not a fan of West Marine's prices. This one was highly recommended by SeaDoo owners on various forums and I've been using it fine with both my RXT and 232 Limited. I've had it since 2009.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a few...they ALL SUCK!

One word of caution, I used to keep my little Pela on board. I don't anymore. The heat destroyed the hard plastic parts! They got so brittle they just fell apart. :(

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a few...they ALL SUCK!

One word of caution, I used to keep my little Pela on board. I don't anymore. The heat destroyed the hard plastic parts! They got so brittle they just fell apart. :(
Aren't they supposed to SUCK???? lol

As far as I know that is the only way to get the oil out though...correct? There are no drain plugs on these engines...correct?

I will not store on board so no worries there. Thanks

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aren't they supposed to SUCK???? lol

As far as I know that is the only way to get the oil out though...correct? There are no drain plugs on these engines...correct?

I will not store on board so no worries there. Thanks

Yes Sir, they ARE supposed to suck. And some do that better than others and some have a greater capacity. I presently have two :

LiquiVac Oil Extractor — For Larger Projects, 8 Qts., Model# 2000

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_465467_465467?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Fuel Transfer + Lubrication-_-Oil Extractors-_-332260&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=332260&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=332260&gclid=CPuEg7_PpMACFQdcfgodubcAtA

And one:

Pela 2000 Oil Change Pump, 2.6 qt Capacity

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pela-2000-oil-change-pump-2-6-qt-capacity.html?gclid=CJa6wPHPpMACFUiGfgod8i8Aug

YES, other than turning the boat upside down, it's the best way to get your used oil out. :joyful:

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I got the attwood extractor from Walmart....$39....was awesome! I have a picture of using it in the media page.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the West Marine version of the Pela extractor that I got on sale as well. It did a great job of extracting the oil after I warmed up the engines.

Previously I tried an electric extractor. It burned up after about 30 seconds.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
LOL @Bruce on the electric burn up ...... I bet that sucked....or didn't.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My best advice is to find one that is labeled so you know how much oil you're pulling out. It's not that easy to "put in only what you took out" from two different containers. ;)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My best advice is to find one that is labeled so you know how much oil you're pulling out. It's not that easy to "put in only what you took out" from two different containers. ;)
If they are not marked with graduated marks, add water in 1/4 qt amounts and mark it with a marker...makes it easier!

I have the West Marine version of the Moeller. They make it but West Marine spec'ed it with better parts, I have the 6qt version. So I find it to be a very good extractor. However, if it isn't on sale, it is $99. I bought my first one for around $60 if I recall on sale, sent it with the Nauti Dawg when I sold her. The Blue Yonder had to have one, and paid the full price for that one. I didn't like the Pela, too round and easy to spill.

Kevin1741

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought this harbor freight model. With a 20 percent off coupon wasn't so bad. I use it to extract transmission fluid too.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It’s been 6 years and no new threads on the subject. Any new thoughts? I’ve read to get something other than a hand pump. I’m thinking of this one from Amazon:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still have my little hand pumped spherical one. Got it on Amazon like 8 years ago.... No idea the brand/name on it. But it still works. Kinda small, but it works.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I built one with a 12v motor, gator clips attach to onboard batteries. Hoses the correct diameter. All mounted in a bucket. I just use a container with graduations that I cap off and dump at work. Really sucks!