• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One picture of your last outing.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's actually happening - I can now make wake surf ropeless runs long enough so that everyone in my crew goes bonkers - getting bored, lololol.

--

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I still can’t seem to go rope less on mine. What did you do differently to toss the rope and still get momentum?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still can’t seem to go rope less on mine. What did you do differently to toss the rope and still get momentum?
From your picture it looks like your wake is there. It can be a combination of factors. Speed, stance on the board, and finding the pocket (area where you recieve push).

For speed- try about 10.5 to start

Stance- feet a comfortable distance apart - feet pointed towards the wake - back foot perpendicular to the board - moving both feet closer to the front of the board will give you more speed - too far forward and you'll bury the nose (pearling) - too far back and you're riding the brakes - find the in between - your hips are now your center if gravity - moving your hips forward over your front foot is going to turn on the gas - hips back is is breaks - crouching and moving your weight forward is even more gas
20190713_080748-01.jpeg
Comfortable stance
20190616_190347_1_1_1.gif
The crouch

Pocket - edging the bottom of the wake where the water begins to rise up - in essence you are continually falling down the wake.

Just tossing the rope for whatever reason will suddenly make you change your riding and surf better... it's weird, but true.

I hope this helps. Others feel free to add.

Last edited:

nesnah2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a relaxing day on Lake Michigan.

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
From your picture it looks like your wake is there. It can be a combination of factors. Speed, stance on the board, and finding the pocket (area where you recieve push).

For speed- try about 10.5 to start

Stance- feet a comfortable distance apart - feet pointed towards the wake - back foot perpendicular to the board - moving both feet closer to the front of the board will give you more speed - too far forward and you'll bury the nose (pearling) - too far back and you're riding the brakes - find the in between - your hips are now your center if gravity - moving your hips forward over your front foot is going to turn on the gas - hips back is is breaks - crouching and moving your weight forward is even more gas
View attachment 99707
Comfortable stance
View attachment 99709
The crouch

Pocket - edging the bottom of the wake where the water begins to rise up - in essence you are continually falling down the wake

I hope this helps. Others feel free to add.
Thanks for the insight jrad, I’ll keep playing with it today!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, GIFs are my new favorite thing. And... I'm about to post 4 of them and 4 pictures in a "one picture" thread... 🤷‍♂️ I should probably post this in like 3 different threads... It was an adventurous 4 hours.

Yesterday evening on Utah Lake.
20190712_182834-01.jpeg
My 11 yo booting up for his first ever attempt at wakeboarding.
20190712_183216-01.jpeg
That's not a bald spot it's a solar panel for a sex machine... I heard that somewhere once...
20190712_194232_1.gif
Proud of him, he got up time and time again on two separate sessions and got very close. He just needs to straighten his arms get his feet under him.

20190712_190135-01.jpeg
I strapped into a Slingshot Nomad to give it a rip.
20190712_190538_1_1.gif
This board is a premium ride. The 145cm would be comfortable for a bigger trailer rider. It has great control in comparison to my Hyperlite Murray. Larger surface area gives a lot of pop of the wake. Could have/should have filled the ballast and shortened the rope a little.

20190712_210832_1.gif
Got to play on a 5'0" Coaster (full video:
)
20190712_203451_1.gif
Wifey making it look easy...

20190712_205750-01.jpeg
Surfed until the shiny fireball went away...

Last edited:

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Had 7, 13 year olds out today....

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel I have so much push now I can not fall... It's like if you played tennis and the entire racquet head was one large sweet spot, lol.

@J-RAD knows his stuff better than most, but in my case it is not technique... (because I have none, lol). It's just a big beautiful wave that I'm now slowly learning how to harness. I do have pretty strong legs, but that's about it. The rest is the setup.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last lake day, last outing, got to "feed the fishes"

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel I have so much push now I can not fall... It's like if you played tennis and the entire racquet head was one large sweet spot, lol.

@J-RAD knows his stuff better than most, but in my case it is not technique... (because I have none, lol). It's just a big beautiful wave that I'm now slowly learning how to harness. I do have pretty strong legs, but that's about it. The rest is the setup.

--
The Gantlin wakes we're throwing here are a testament to themselves... they're just awesome! It's true you don't have to be a "skilled" rider to throw the rope. I've mentioned before in another thread how using whatever bit of skill I have, I've manage to surf ropeless with every board I carry in my inventory and play. So, likewise the wake is deserving of A LOT of the credit. Thanks @jcyamaharider @jcyamahariders wife and your partner.

Back to the pictures!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Lake Geneva, WI.today...15631173725527021950791206499761.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sunset cruise last night with the the neighbors and their kids and his wife was saying it was one of the nicest she could remember out on the lake - gorgeous sunset and perfect conditions.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
First day/night out earlier this past week
SIL up from Dallas so the twins were in selfie heaven.

Attachments