• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Opportunity to go to Key West....and bring the boat!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the chance to bring my boat down to Key West this summer. We would stay at the Hyatt Beach house residence club on Overseas Highway.
http://hyattbeachhouse.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

I'm wondering if any of you have any advice on boating down in the keys, places to see, must do experiences, etc. We would have 4 kids from (3, 5, 6,10yrs) and 4 adults.

Are there any marinas that are better than others to use?

Should I keep the boat in the water or pull it everyday and park it?

Are there loads of public boat ramps available?

Obviously any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
We are doing the same thing over Christmas and look forward to hearing what people say.. Will also be asking you some questions before we go. Have a great time @njmr2fan! Still debating on where we are going to stay. We have 2 weeks. :thumbsup:

BAC.94

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you don't mind carrying extra fuel, the Dry Tortugas (Fort Jefferson) would be an awesome trip! I believe it's about 75 miles and no gas when you get there. Also, I highly recommend Hogfish Bar and Grill on Stock Island!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This was @1948Isaac trip last year down there he maybe able to help out.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Browse through this forum over on THT. Look for posts by the member First Light. He seems to have some really good local knowledge, and it's an interesting read.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia/712516-cuba-2016-a.html

These were the two I remember him recommending:

1. Stock Island Marina Village.
www.stockislandmarina.com
tel 305-294-2288
Lat: 24.56.292 Lon: 81.73.975

2. Key West Harbor Marina.
www.floridamarinaclubs.com/locations/key-west
tel 305-292-3121
Lat: 24.32.790 Lon: 81.43.550

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm going for 5 days with the boat to Grassy Key in July. So I'll follow this thread too.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would defiantly pull your boat from the water each day, I've been told the water in the keys is brutal and growth can happen overnight, plus you'd want to flush the engines.
Also think about your trailer, if it's a painted one I'd be careful and consider the long term consequences.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm spending the first week of lobster season at the Galleon !
It will be my first trip to the keys.
We are REALLY excited about this trip as well .

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm spending the first week of lobster season at the Galleon !
It will be my first trip to the keys.
We are REALLY excited about this trip as well .
What is the first week of Lobster Season?

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everyone has a different perspective. I'm perplexed at the comment regarding keys water being brutal and growth occurring overnight. First I've heard anything like that.

This is a vacation in the keys correct? A week or 2 max? The boat will be fine in the water. Mine is sitting in the water at this very moment and has been since last Saturday. Run SaltAway through the clean out/flush port once you take it back out. Boats have been moored in saltwater for entire seasons with no degradation. The amount of time your going to be there is inconsequential.

I can understand the concern; especially if someone is not accustom to saltwater and/or not taking their boat out of the water every time they have finished with it for the day.

If the concern is that severe...why put the boat in saltwater to begin with? What will the group going to Bimini do with their boats for the entire week in the Bahamas? I'm 100% positive everyone's boat will be moored and/or in the water for the entirety of the trip...
In my experience I've always found sea water to be harsher the further south you go, my quote was only repeating a good friend who is a boat dealer hear on peace river. He says he can always tell when a boat has been in the keys for a few days, brutal were his words, but like I said, I'm only quoting somebody I trust.

True, the Bimini trip will be in the water for some time and most days will be moving around thus helping to keep their hull's clean. My advise would be if you can take your boat out with minimum effort, that's preferable. I read @Geoff Cooper had his boat standing in Thailand waters for a week or two which caused him to remove his pumps to clean them.

Which ever you choose, enjoy.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We also have the option of getting a place in the Upper Keys if anyone has opinions on that, throw em out. Someone told me that the upper keys are better for boating and snorkeling. I don't know.... Never been.

I'm a daily trailering guy, so loading and launching the boat everyday is no biggie for me. If there's room at the hotel for us to take up 3 spots (2 cars and a boat) then thats what I'd probably do.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Once again, I'll be staying in Grassy Key I found an awesome place on VRBO but here is a little from the site page, just a little info. I'll be researching more and post things I find relevant to boating as we will make a trip to KW and some other places as well. We have a mooring buoy we are leaving the boat hooked to well at our retreat!

"In our neighborhood, Tursi, Gambit and friends are waiting to put on a show for you at the Dolphin Research Center. Home to Flipper in the 60's, DRC is located 1/4 of a mile from the property.
One mile South of us is Curry Hammock State Park where you actually do not need a park entrance ticket to stroll the hammock, just ask a local.
Three miles out to sea is marker 45, a nice place to fish mangrove and yellowtail snappers, and a few more miles South is Coffin's Patch Reef, a delightful protected area to dive or snorkel. Both locations are a few minutes away by boat from the property.
These are merely suggestions in addition to all the wonderful things that are yours to discover throughout the Florida Keys. We are so proud of our Grassy Key Island that we had to boast about it!"

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When are you going? LOL I looked at the same VRBO. I didn't understand if the kayaks were to use to get to your boat? Thats a great little place, then my wife was says "Why don't we just use our timeshare?" D"OH! okay...

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
July 16-20. I talked to Heather the daughter of the owner and said its shallow enough to walk out to around waist deep. I might bring a small tube to bring cooler and stuff out there. We can't wait. It will be our One year anniversary.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We go once or twice every year. We never stay in Key west. Always stay in the middle keys with private home rentals for the week on the water, we use VRBO.com usually to book homes. . I prefer to stay on the gulf side.

*Careful as their are a lot of shallows in the keys with rocky bottoms.

Trailer parking is always a premium so expect to pay daily to park your trailer. IM me if you have more detialed questions..

Here is one of my videos....

i wish..

Last edited: