• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Outer Banks - Topsail Island

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our family does a yearly beach trip to Topsail for a week.
Considering dragging the boat (when we buy one) down there to have fun one of the days of that week.
Just trying to figure out if there is a good reason to do so or if there will not be much to do.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was sure someone was going to respond to this. We have been talking Bout taking the boat to Wilmington area for a few years now.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We love going down to the intercoastal with the boat! Rich Inlet is our favorite as there are huge sandbars there to pull up to and party on. Just have to watch the tides...see boats getting stuck there every time.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was sure someone was going to respond to this. We have been talking Bout taking the boat to Wilmington area for a few years now.
It's a tough question especially since the OP doesn't own a boat yet as the real answer lies in what kind of boating family they are and what the expectations of the vacation are. If you know your crew is going to wan't to spend 3-4 days on the beach and maybe one or two days on the boat it's probably not worth the added stress taking the boat on vacation with you adds. If your the kind of crew that will turn this into a boating vacation where you will be on the boat everyday cruising around hopping from spot to spot then yes it probably is worth and as @Julian mentioned it a great boating area. Even if you planned to use the boat everyday but were the kind of boating crew who would probably just pull up to one beach for the day on the boat and stay put there I would probably tell you to leave the boat at home again as if your just beaching it just go to the beach it's easier then bringing the boat. Bringing the boat on vacation is stressful you have to tow it both ways figure out where to store it or make sure you can store it onsite at your location launching everyday from unfamiliar ramps and boating in unfamiliar waters all add stress to an event that you usually are trying to be relaxing on. The only time I take the boat with me is if its a boating vacation and we plan to spend the time on the boat as our primary source of fun if anything else is primary (beach, amusement park, visiting family. ect...) I have found the cost/reward factor of bringing the boat is typically not worth it.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My "owning" the boat is just a factor of finding a 24' yamaha that wants my money... (I go to see one friday.)
We would probably only spend one day out on the boat. We rent a house on the beach and spend 90% of the day (potty breaks and diaper changes) on the beach. I just feel it would be a good change to get out and do something different one of the beach days.

good points @robert843

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should take the boat once. To see if every vacation will turn into a boatcation .. Won't know until u try it.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My "owning" the boat is just a factor of finding a 24' yamaha that wants my money... (I go to see one friday.)
We would probably only spend one day out on the boat. We rent a house on the beach and spend 90% of the day (potty breaks and diaper changes) on the beach. I just feel it would be a good change to get out and do something different one of the beach days.

good points @robert843
The owning the boat comment was just referencing that your crew may not know what kind of boating family you are yet making it difficult to answer whether it would be worth it for you and your crew to take the boat. If you only think you would use it one day I would consider renting a boat for one day versus taking yours it would be much easier but would also give you an idea as to whether you would want to bring yours on future years trips. I agree with @bronze_10 after renting a boat you may decide you want to make it a boating vacation going forward. Best of luck on Friday!

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843
Understood. I grew up on the water but yeah we have not found how our family will boat.
My father in law is a cruiser. Like straight to the sandbar, drinking all day, cruise back.
My dad was the guy with a supra water skiing in the morning, then parking the boat to party. Maybe some coving.

Fairly sure we will be more of the explore/cove variety.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lotta towing for one planned day on the water. Probably spend as much on fuel to do so as it would be to rent one for a day.