• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Phone Scammers

xoverdose

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone ever get any phone calls from scammers at home or on their cells? My mom has been getting called several times a day from "Verizon" stating that our account is past due and with a quick credit card payment of $252.48 then we will be all squared away.

Well I finally got sick of them calling and stayed on the line long enough to talk to a lady and got as much info from her as I could. Wouldn't give out an employee ID, gave a wrong account number and when I asked what the phone number she was calling me from was she gave it to me and it was WAY off from caller ID. When I confronted her that this was a scam she seemed offended! Finally she broke me and I decided to pay...through my accountant. Lucky for her though my accountant is open all the time and just so happens that the number I gave her was the FBI. I could hear her write down the number and she said she would call as soon as we hung up! Haha. I hate scammers!

What do you all do to deal with them?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The only people scamming me for cash live under my roof.....and text me instead of call me.....and take my car....and my boat....and hurt me with their words

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The only people scamming me for cash live under my roof.....and text me instead of call me.....and take my car....and my boat....and hurt me with their words
You live with my kids too?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like to give them 16 random numbers and a fake expiration date. Then keep trying to get the number right when it will not go through. Sometimes I tell them that I need to wait until my grandson gets home from school to read the numbers. The surprising part is that they ask for a time then call back when he is supposed to be home.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tell them after 5 min of random talking and acting as if i am distracted when they ask me a question: "This is a scam.. Your phone number... server ip address and your current location have been record through investigative software along with this conversation and will be placed in the case file for prosecution." They rarely call back...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't had one like that....but I enjoy the occasional sales call. I have a fun routine I go through with them when I have time to mess with them. I watch for them. On caller ID and it goes something like this:

Me- hello, pool-a-Rama can I help you?
Them- is this mr Mitchell?
Me-no this is Poolarama, would you like to buy a pool?
Them - no (usually they hang up here)
Me-oh come on man, I've got some great deals on I ground pools right now.
Them, I don't need a pool.

I actually kept a woman online for 5 minutes and was in tears at the end....I tried selling her (in order):
An in ground pool
Above ground pool
Hot tub
In house jacuzzi tub
Kiddie pool
Wash tub
Bucket
Cups
Shot glass
Thimble

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would love to know how some of these guys route their calls through major businesses. I've re dialed several caller id numbers back and the numbers are valid and usually some type of office building in NY, presumably with a telephone exchange of some type. But the original scammer was clearly calling from another country.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I had a person call me about a month ago and tell me (in a very foreign voice) he was from Microsoft and Did I know I was currently sending out viruses from my computer. If I went to the computer right now he would walk me through fixing it. I Almost laughed out loud at him. It was extremely unprofessional even...he stammered through the "script", who falls for that? People must or they wouldn't do it....On second thought, I think my in laws would have done whatever he said.