• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Picking a college for my daughter....HELP.

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Big Shasta...I'm sorry to hear you lost the fight, I just wanted to chime in and say that the JC transfer to a 4-year university worked for me...I was a party animal, academic underachiever in high school, but my parents were still ready to pay all four years at university, but I didn't want to go, instead, I got all my general ed out of the way, then transferred, I changed majors TWICE during those two years. I ended up with a Chemical Engineering degree with minor in Civil Engineering.

Good luck to you and your daughter, I hope you don't have to sell your boat...that would really suck!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Big Shasta...I'm sorry to hear you lost the fight, I just wanted to chime in and say that the JC transfer to a 4-year university worked for me...I was a party animal, academic underachiever in high school, but my parents were still ready to pay all four years at university, but I didn't want to go, instead, I got all my general ed out of the way, then transferred, I changed majors TWICE during those two years. I ended up with a Chemical Engineering degree with minor in Civil Engineering.

Good luck to you and your daughter, I hope you don't have to sell your boat...that would really suck!
Thanks Cheryl....Couldn't sleep, got up and 4 and started working a budget. Ugh, no fun.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my 2 cents:

I started out at a CC, but no credits transferred to U of D Mechanical Engineering (at that time I needed come confidence first). I was a high school drop out which didn't help. The CC I went to was an extended high school. I was lucky enough to have a dad who pointed me to the U of D. I can definitely tell in my profession that 2 yrs vs 4 yr is big difference in pay and very hard to even get an interview w/o a 4 yr degree (times have changed)

If engineering is he or she route, I don't recommend a 2 yr, unless they want to be a hands on technician / or draft-man. (which is perfectly cool as well)

Balance between years of school / happiness / pay...

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having done both, local community college for basic classes for cheaper tuition and then architectural school. Saved me a ton of money. This was for me, not my kids, they are still babies.

Now for the "Full Experience" going away. I went away to ASU for my masters. I worked for the ASU police also. IMOHO, going away is over rated. Kids have no supervision, are subject to all the peer pressure. We arrested SOOOO many freshman because they were free to do what they wanted with no one to supervise them, alcohol, drugs, breaking in to the aquatic center to go late night swimming, and a lot more serious crimes that I will not scare you with. Frats, WHOLE other story with problems there. I have had to call parents at 3am on the East cost to say your 17yo freshman was arrested for being stupid. I do not think that is part of the experience.

Now, that is not to say all kids are this way. It is just strange that we take kids that are home and everything is done for them, we know where they are and who their friends are and then, send them off for four years by themselves with thousands of other kids and expect things to be fine. I hope my kids stay local since we have great schools around us.

Sorry for the rant. There is just so much that goes on that parents do not know about since kids can hide stuff.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I will put my 2c in for what it is worth. I have 2 Master's degrees and have taught/trained undergraduates, master's level and PhD level students at Iowa State, U of Michigan and East Carolina University in Biological Sciences. What I can tell you is there is no magical path to success. The students I deal with all come from different backgrounds, financial situations, and educational backgrounds. Ultimately your child has to have the passion to learn, the ability to choice friends correctly, ability to stay out of trouble and willing to work hard. If any of those four qualities fail then they will struggle with higher education. But my biggest advice is DON'T ACQUIRE A HUGE AMOUNT OF STUDENT LOAD DEBT!!! Better to take 6-8 years to graduate, while working part time and school part time, than graduate in 4 years with $100K in debt. It is a huge monkey on your back that is almost impossible to shake, mentally and financially.

rzKFWoz.png

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
UGh,.....Well, a little update. The out of state school changed to a school 2.5 hours away in Pensacola (UWF). She's all registered and the cost dropped 10K a year to about 22K. So it's only about 30K more expensive than if we did it my way. So, a new tundra is the difference. In case anyone missed it, my tundra is sold and our boat is sold. So my bank account is fat but it's all covering the 2 unnecessary years away.

She turned 18 2 days ago and today came home with a surprise tattoo on her neck behind her right ear. It's small (an inch and a half across maybe) and hidden by her hair (unless it's pulled back). She really is a good girl....paid for it with her money.....working full time and saving 50% of everything for while she is in school. I know a small tattoo isn't a big deal but I just can't help but imagine the decisions that will be made while she is away at school.

I now know why some species eat their young.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't know you sold the truck as well.

I don't have anything against tattoos as long as they are tasteful, good quality, and have some thought/meaning behind them...I'm not a fan of the ones "just because" or "look at me, you can't tell me what not to do" (not saying she is in this group).
My wife has 2, they both fall into those situations, one she was under aged, the other was in spite of her parents...she hates them both now, ever since I've known her she has wanted them removed, because they have no meaning at all.

Good luck to you and her, hope she keeps her head on straight and does great and makes you proud!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I didn't know you sold the truck as well.

I don't have anything against tattoos as long as they are tasteful, good quality, and have some thought/meaning behind them...I'm not a fan of the ones "just because" or "look at me, you can't tell me what not to do" (not saying she is in this group).
My wife has 2, they both fall into those situations, one she was under aged, the other was in spite of her parents...she hates them both now, ever since I've known her she has wanted them removed, because they have no meaning at all.

Good luck to you and her, hope she keeps her head on straight and does great and makes you proud!
I'm sure she'll do great. She does make good decisions, But every possible college scenario has and will continue to run through my head....LOL

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA