• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please help 2015 212SS CEL!

Jdaniels

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
First let me introduce myself as JD from San Diego, CA. Retired Navy Sub Vet. Not new to the forums as my old account was closed after being inactive. Fellow jet boaters I am in need of your help figuring out this issue.. I was solo on the boat in San Diego Bay last Friday and started getting a CEL. No obvious signs of loss of performance or loss of power. Shut off the battery to clear the alarm, after multiple acknowledgements. CEL comes back about every 4-5 minutes. Motored away from the middle of channel to go DIW to attempt to diagnose the issue. Replaced all the plugs (which were good), removed and visually inspected the o2 and air flow sensors, all good. Fresh fuel, water flow x 2 and oil level good to go. Error code displayed: non flashing NORMAL SPN 0. Called the dealer (M2O) while on the water and they stated they dont know what that code is.. Go figure. Purchased new 2015, less than 30 hrs on both engines. Any help or direction will be of great appreciation.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jdaniels

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I reached out to him yesterday, he stated he didn't have that code. :rolleyes: I sent him his link, he has yet to respond. I also failed to add I did the dummy test by moving the sensors to see if the problem would move and it didn't. 🤔

Jdaniels

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Don't have one.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jdaniels

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Correct. Not sure exactly what it is; similar to OBD2 reader?

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes- In the sense that it is Yamaha specific software for their applications.

Jdaniels

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Jdaniels

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I assume you mean you dont have YDIS. If you add your location to your profile, someone near you may offer to lend it to you....
Anyone familiar with the hard reset procedure? Run engine with issue 5 min, shut off 3. Repeat 3 times or so? Spoke with my go to guy at the service dept. He stated that code comes back as nothing.. just do the hard reset, it should clear it.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone familiar with the hard reset procedure? Run 5 min, shut off 3. Repeat 3 times or so? Spoke with my go to guy at the service dept. He stated that code comes back as nothing.. just do the hard reset, it should clear it.
Never heard of such a thing.

@tek4fun ever heard of this?

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Never heard of such a thing.

@tek4fun ever heard of this?
I have heard of that process before. I just can not remember where and whether it is legit. I agree though that YDIS should shed some light on what is going on with the CEL warning.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jdaniels

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have heard of that process before. I just can not remember where and whether it is legit. I agree though that YDIS should shed some light on what is going on with the CEL warning.
I got the same answer from the Yamaha dealer in Temecula, CA yesterday about the hard reset, so it does exist. I guess I will need to purchase the setup unless someone in the local San Diego/SoCal area has one I can borrow or have them scan my system for a case of beer.:winkingthumbsup"

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One way to approach finding if someone in your area that may have YDIS is to ask them via a conversation.

Use the member map to find folks in your area! Good luck.

I'm still skeptical on the "hard reset" procedure.....seems like a way for dealers to may you go away and do stupid stuff.....but I'm all ears to hear if that works for anyone! PLEASE report back here if it does!

Jdaniels

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
All right, update time. Took the boat to the dealer this morning and had the system scanned. The port engine Normal SPN 0 fault I was having posted, OVERHEAT at 29.1 hours, CODE 252 and IGNITION SYSTEM FAULT at 32.2 hours, CODE 232. Both of which were one time faults. Apparently, they found I had sucked up some kelp and eel grass at the dock, the channel or from the bay that made it beyond the impeller that was limiting full water flow. The ignition fault was undetermined, but possibly when I was given the wrong hard reset operation technique over the phone by the service advisor of 5 min on, 3 min off. The tech cleared the faults. Connected water up to the engines, ran both for 10 minutes and no alarms returned. Problems solved. The tech also walked me through the hard reset operation. It goes as follows, with water supplied or the boat in the water run the troubled system 5 min, then 1 min off. Do this 3 times. On the next start up, ECU resets itself.

Last edited:

Jdaniels

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
One way to approach finding if someone in your area that may have YDIS is to ask them via a conversation.

Use the member map to find folks in your area! Good luck.

I'm still skeptical on the "hard reset" procedure.....seems like a way for dealers to may you go away and do stupid stuff.....but I'm all ears to hear if that works for anyone! PLEASE report back here if it does!
See my update..