• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please help AR230!!

Andyclpp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took my AR230 out this weekend and the lake was very dirty.
I ended up sucking some weeds and a piece of wood into the impeller.
I took the boat out of the water and took it home to remove the impeller to clear the obstruction. I couldn't do it from the clean out plug.

I get both impellers out clear obstructions and put everything back together.

Sorry I'm new to boating so I don't know the correct terms but the right engine started and I let it run for 3-4 seconds and shut it down. I then tried to crank the left and it tried to crank but sounded very weak so I placed the batteries on the charger until they were fully charged now I can't get anything to happen when I turn the key from either switch. The radio, lights, horn, and depth finder all still work. The light on the left tach will come on when I attempt to start the boat. It won't come on when the throttle isn't in neutral so I'm assuming it's not a bad contact point on the throttle. I have jiggled the kill switch that the lanyard goes on and it seems to be fine. Once before I forgot to hook it up and it allowed the boat to crank but not start. It won't even attempt to crank and makes no sound. I checked the fuses in the back near the engine (3A and 20A) for both sides. I checked the clean out can switches as well.

Could I have installed something wrong with the impellers and shaft to have caused this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also.. if u post where you are located local people may be able to help you. It has worked for many in the past!

Andyclpp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. That's great advice.
I am located in Phoenix AZ.

I have dual batteries both were bought new in Nov 16. That's when I made the switch to dual from single. I do have a battery selector switch. I check those fuses as well

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Andyclpp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Neither will even attempt to start. Nothing when I turn the key

Andyclpp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I left the batteries in to charge. Should I have removed them?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The clean out hatch has switches that prevent the engines cranking / running. If they are not fully depressed the engines will not start.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Leav
I left the batteries in to charge. Should I have removed them?
Leaving the batteries in to charge is fine. Many of us use on board chargers and only remove our batteries to replace them.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The concern with removing the batteries is that wires could have gotten mixed up when you reinstalled the batteries.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I second @Bruce thought on the cleanout hatch switches.

Andyclpp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The right tach isn't lighting up when I place the key in. I have never had the boat out at night so Im not sure if it ever did or maybe the bulb is just out. I know the switch works because my depth finder is wired to that key switch and it comes on when I try to start it.

Andyclpp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can I jump the two brown wires together on the switch to test it as being closed? I read somewhere that the black and white connected represents open and brown to brown represents closed. Can anyone confirm?

Again thanks for all the advice so far guys.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tach lights not working is not exactly uncommon. Since both engines decided not to crank at the same time my guess is that an foreign object is preventing your clean out hatch from closing all the way. The switch height is also adjustable. I would start there and not get into splicing any wires until you have tried adjusting the switches. Also make sure the boat is in neutral.

Andyclpp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. I will check them tonight.

The left tach light has been on and when I push the throttle forward or reverse it goes out. I'm assuming that the throttle sensor is good based off of that information. I will check the clean out plugs first and If that doesn't work I'll try testing the throttle position.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you. I will check them tonight.

The left tach light has been on and when I push the throttle forward or reverse it goes out. I'm assuming that the throttle sensor is good based off of that information. I will check the clean out plugs first and If that doesn't work I'll try testing the throttle position.
Uhhhh... o_O

Andyclpp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry that was a bit confusing