• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please help...need some advice!

KELLI MILLER

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My husband and I are looking at purchasing a 1995 SeaRayder f16. It is like new condition inside and out and the motor appears to be in great shape. We are having a compression test before we sign the title. It has approx 120 hours on it. We own a 2006 Kawasaki jet ski now and bought it brand new, but I am having some issues making this decision. I have some questions and if anyone could answer I would appreciate it. I understand the impeller and sucking things up. It's the same as a jet ski correct? Is it more of an issue with a boat? Is 120 hours for a 1995 good and what is the expected longevity of a well maintained motor on this jet boat? I understand the steering with thrust, etc, but is it hard to adjust from steering a pontoon or about the same as going from the pontoon to the jet ski? Lastly, is $3500 a good price for one in almost mint condition? Pros/Cons would be great!!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Kelli, welcome to the site.

While I have not seen this boat, based purely on it's age I would recommend against the purchase. Although the Mercury Sportjet 120 hp engine was pretty good if kept in good condition, I think parts are hard to come by in the event you have an issue.

For that kind of money you could probably find a great deal on a newer model.

Just ask @SuperJetDan :
https://jetboaters.net/threads/i-am-tempted-to-buy-this.1561/

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My husband and I are looking at purchasing a 1995 SeaRayder f16. It is like new condition inside and out and the motor appears to be in great shape. We are having a compression test before we sign the title. It has approx 120 hours on it. We own a 2006 Kawasaki jet ski now and bought it brand new, but I am having some issues making this decision. I have some questions and if anyone could answer I would appreciate it. I understand the impeller and sucking things up. It's the same as a jet ski correct? Is it more of an issue with a boat? Is 120 hours for a 1995 good and what is the expected longevity of a well maintained motor on this jet boat? I understand the steering with thrust, etc, but is it hard to adjust from steering a pontoon or about the same as going from the pontoon to the jet ski? Lastly, is $3500 a good price for one in almost mint condition? Pros/Cons would be great!!
I am not going to say do not get this boat but I agree it seems slightly overpriced. Not unusual though. watch an episode of Fast and Loud and you can see how the dance works. They say $3500, you say $2000 and you meet somewhere between.

2 things you have to do before even thinking about buying the boat is #1 drive it to see how it handles and if you even like it and #2 have a marine surveyor check it out. The surveyor will tell you the condition, expected repairs and rough market value.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Welcome, just my opinion but price seems on the very high end. The sportjet 90/120's were based on Force outboard powerheads, not a very good pedigree . Parts are gonna be hard to find.If you really want a jet I would spend a little more and look for something powered by Yamaha,Rotax,orMerc 175 on up.Just my 2 cents.

KELLI MILLER

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The jet pump an impeller is basically the same across jet ski's and boats, just some different designs. 120 hours might seem low, but it all depends on the compression of the motor, and the condition. Steering is basically the same, steering wheel vs. handle bars on a jet ski. The boat blue books for $ 2780.00 to $ 3130.00 according to NADA Guides: http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1995/Sea-Ray-Boats/F-16__/10156275/Values

Jim is correct, I would not buy that boat, from what I understand as well that parts are hard to come by. Does your budget have some wiggle room upwards? You can buy a nice used Yamaha Jet Boat under 10K and sometimes grab a screaming deal like my 2001 Yamaha LS2000.
Thanks!!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@KELLI MILLER welcome to the site. I don't have any first hand knowledge about buying the boat you're looking at. I do however trust the opinions of the guys who offered their advice. Good luck with your search for a boat, hopefully you'll be out on the water enjoying the sun real soon!!!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@KELLI MILLER With a name like 'F16' I can see the draw for sure. It must be fast, sexy and quite a workout to drive, but then again I may be biased. I also like 'Jet Pilot' ski vests for some reason! [flag]

Disclaimer, I have no knowledge of this boat but am happy you found us!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@KELLI MILLER Welcome to the site...I've no experience with that model boat either....but at that price you can't go too wrong! Might be worth having a marine mechanic check it out and give you their opinion. Just know that many marine mechanics know very little about jet boats.

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with everyone above. I googled the boat and it has a pretty body style. But you are looking at an almost 20 year old boat with low hours. Just wondering if the hours were in the honeymoon phase then just sitting. Stuff is meant to be used. Seals crack, mechanics rust, internal problems arise from non-use. It might be gorgeous on the outside but what about the things you can't see. Also, how about the trailer? Tires, brakes etc. was this used in salt or fresh water? Many things to think about.

Last edited: