• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please help

Flaviu88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2019 Yamaha 212x. Today I was at the lake with the family. Towards the end of the day we decided to head back and the left shaft started making some noise. The engine revs up no problem but there's not any real power to push the boat and it sounds like something is rattling. Took the boat out of water and checked to see if anything was wrapped around the shaft. The shaft was free and clean of any debris. Took the boat home connected the hose and no rattle noise, went back to the lake and put it in water, no noise while at low RPM. As soon as I increased speed the rattle noise came back and no power from that side. I hope I was able to explain it correctly and I truly hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2019 Yamaha 212x. Today I was at the lake with the family. Towards the end of the day we decided to head back and the left shaft started making some noise. The engine revs up no problem but there's not any real power to push the boat and it sounds like something is rattling. Took the boat out of water and checked to see if anything was wrapped around the shaft. The shaft was free and clean of any debris. Took the boat home connected the hose and no rattle noise, went back to the lake and put it in water, no noise while at low RPM. As soon as I increased speed the rattle noise came back and no power from that side. I hope I was able to explain it correctly and I truly hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you
That happened to me last week, and it was a small stick wedged inside the impeller. I know you said the shaft was clear, but did you check the impeller ? The rattling you are describing could be vibration from cavitation.
Good Luck,

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That happened to me last week, and it was a small stick wedged inside the impeller. I know you said the shaft was clear, but did you check the impeller ? The rattling you are describing could be vibration from cavitation.
Good Luck,
This guy was seriously stuck, couldn't budge it from the water. Had to get it out on the trailer in my driveway. I haven't been out since, and hoping this was the cause of my issue.
stick in impeller.jpg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Flaviu88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Did you check to make sure the plug on that side or both sides for that matter are secured and seated properly?
Yes I checked it seemed sealed to me. Unless there is a specific way to verify.

Flaviu88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
This guy was seriously stuck, couldn't budge it from the water. Had to get it out on the trailer in my driveway. I haven't been out since, and hoping this was the cause of my issue.
View attachment 120871
Wow. I already checked but I will have to get a better flash light and try again. Thank you

Flaviu88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Good Luck,
I will have to check again. Yesterday I didnt see anything. But at low rpms it does push water only once I get past the no wake zone where I throttle up more it does that

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you. I hope its just something stuck I will check the boat in a few hours and il let you guys know
Even if you can't see anything, I would recommend pulling the impellers anyway. Sometimes things fall out that you can't see. This has fixed this issue for me quite a few times.

Flaviu88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Even if you can't see anything, I would recommend pulling the impellers anyway. Sometimes things fall out that you can't see. This has fixed this issue for me quite a few times.
Do you know if there's an instructional video or step by step to do this anywhere?

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
H

How did you get it out?
I used some long needle nose pliers to work it side to side. It also helps when I bumped the engine to move the impeller to another position. I didn't want to take the intake grate off if I didn't have to. I also worked slowly, since I didn't want to damage the impeller during the removal. The suggestion to pull the impellers is something I will do next if the problem hasn't been taken care of.

Flaviu88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Found the problem. Piece of wood got stuck in there. I tried to remove it with needle nose plyers but no luck. I will have to remove the back off to pull it out.

Thank you so much you guys are amazing.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice! You’ll want to be aware of what it sounds/feels like when something gets sucked up and how to spit it out while not having to ruin your day taking the boat out of the water. For me, I throw it in reverse and try to spit it out. Others turn off the engines first and then throw it in reverse and try to flush it out. Search the forum for how this works.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh yes, one more thing I do. I try not to idle. That’s when things tend to get sucked up for me since the boat isn’t pushing debris out of the way. If I have to stop for some reason, I just turn the engines off. Just a thought.

Flaviu88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Nice! You’ll want to be aware of what it sounds/feels like when something gets sucked up and how to spit it out while not having to ruin your day taking the boat out of the water. For me, I throw it in reverse and try to spit it out. Others turn off the engines first and then throw it in reverse and try to flush it out. Search the forum for how this works.
I tries to do that but it didn't work.

Flaviu88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Oh yes, one more thing I do. I try not to idle. That’s when things tend to get sucked up for me since the boat isn’t pushing debris out of the way. If I have to stop for some reason, I just turn the engines off. Just a thought.
Thank you for the information, I'm learning all new things. We just purchased this boat 3 weeks ago so any advice is extremely welcome